Ceramic Coating Opinions Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryelinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Anyone have a professional ceramic coat their truck and have photos to share? Also what did it run you? Any thoughts would be super helpful.

I have a 2019 Limited in Granite Crystal Grey on factory order and thinking about getting this done right away once it arrives. In addition to the ceramic coating I think I want to get a clear bra film on the front bumper since I went with the painted bumper option.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have a professional ceramic coat their truck and have photos to share? Also what did it run you? Any thoughts would be super helpful.

I have a 2019 Limited in Granite Crystal Grey on factory order and thinking about getting this done right away once it arrives. In addition to the ceramic coating I think I want to get a clear bra film on the front bumper since I went with the painted bumper option.

I was going to do it on my truck. Took it in to the shop to have them give me an accurate estimate and the shops owner came up to me and said “before you do it consider this. I never recommend anyone put a ceramic coating on a vehicle they drive daily. He said if I ever get a scratch or have a body panel replaced the whole truck will have to be redone again, can’t be buffed out without removing the coating.” He said It would be a noticeable difference having a newly coated panel next to one where the coating has aged. Said it could get very expensive. He then recommended I just by my own machine and learn out to do my own paint correcting and go without a ceramic coating. So I did and I am more than happy that I took his advice.

He could have just took my money and not have said a word. I’ve had to remove 3 scratches now in the year and a half I’ve bought the truck. That’s 3 different occasions where I’d have to have the truck recoated. a81c1173771bd47a3495c7fc7ad4b264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ryelinek

Ryelinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That is good advice but let me ask you this. The ceramic coat is going to give a bunch of different benefits and if the coat gets a scratch in it lord knows the truck would be just as if not more damaged without the coat.

What really is the downside if the coat gets a mark on it? A scratch is a scratch at the end of the day but the coat will make it a lot less likely once applied or does the scratch become VERY obvious if there is a mark after the coat is applied.

It does make sense if you are in an accident and a panel needs to be replaced though I suppose. I would see that as the major downside but I’m trying to decide the best course overall.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep cquartz here! Front half of the truck also been xpel’d as well. IIRC I paid around $200-300 or so just for the coating which was a steal since every other time I’ve gotten a quote guys were wanted $1k+ plus for it. The coating isn’t expensive the prep is! I struck a deal with the guy that was doing it since he was going to have to do paint correction on the front anyways before you laid down the bra and also told him depending on his work and price and if I was satisfied when I picked it up I would also have him coat my other vehicle. Worth every penny imo! If your a guy that enjoys waxing then coatings aren’t for you and just be aware that even though it gives you that extra layer of protection you still wanna treat your paint like you care meaning no automatic car washes with brushes etc. hand wash if your able too or stick with touchless washes.

b13a824d135b710112c34bb3d87ad9f5.jpg
11ce5c44aae831dcb1eaa529d8ef944c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To add to it.. there’s not a noticeable difference between a coated panel and non coated panel in my experience with cquartz. I had it applied when I still had the Hemi badges on my Ram not long ago I swapped badges and when ahead and cleaned all the old tape and goo and there was no ghosting. It all blended in when I was through with it. On my charger I got into a minor fender bender and removed the clear bra on one fender since it was damaged... car is also ceramic coated.. ceramic coated over the clear bra as well. Once I removed the film there is zero difference between where the film was vs where it’s just ceramic coated.

I wouldn’t let some future what if situation effect you doing it. The pros far outweigh the cons. Get into a accident okay replacement panel gets painted you wait until the paint has cured and just have the panel coated should match. There’s also a topper I guess you can say with the cquartz that you can apply over to give it a bit more shine and almost reload the ceramic coating. E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is good advice but let me ask you this. The ceramic coat is going to give a bunch of different benefits and if the coat gets a scratch in it lord knows the truck would be just as if not more damaged without the coat.

What really is the downside if the coat gets a mark on it? A scratch is a scratch at the end of the day but the coat will make it a lot less likely once applied or does the scratch become VERY obvious if there is a mark after the coat is applied.

It does make sense if you are in an accident and a panel needs to be replaced though I suppose. I would see that as the major downside but I’m trying to decide the best course overall.

A coating will definitely make it scratch resistant but scratches will still happen. My truck got hit with a lawn chair on a windy day. Left a scratch from passenger door to passenger side rear wheel. A ceramic coating wouldn’t have protected it from that. It was much cheaper for me to repair because I had the tools and knowledge to do it. Had it fixed in 15 minutes. Had I coated the truck like I originally planned I’d be going to have 3 panels recoated. I don’t think the whole truck would have had to be redone because the coating would have been recently applied and not aged, But after a couple years just doing one panel would show a much deeper shine on the freshly coated panel ( would apply mostly to darker colored vehicles) instead of a ceramic coating, my truck gets a sealer every 6 months. I used adams paint sealant and it last a very long time.

The best course really depends on your own personal preference. You bought the Denali of RAMs (nicer actually) can you live with a scratch or will you be going in to have a recoat done if you get a scratch? Would you rather buy the tools and products to go hands on with your truck to paint correct yourself immediately after damage is done? Is that something you could enjoy? Do you not mind the cost of coatings? Everyone’s different.

I was all for getting my truck done until a business owner turned me away instead of taking my money. When I get a weekend car I will most definitely have it done. So I’m definitely not against it. I just tend to believe people who tell me something that will keep them from getting my business.

Also note that even new vehicles need paint correction. They come from the factory full of contaminants and swirls. I was quoted $1500-$2000 for paint correction and a coating of crystal serum for my truck a week and a half off of the dealers showroom. He put my truck under special lighting and I was shocked at all the crap in and on my finish. If you live in the Chicago area by chance I recommend taking it to JJs detailing. He is an awesome guy.

Lastly, do your research on how to maintain a coated vehicle. You’ll have to buy special products like boosters. Also to help prolong the life of a ceramic coating I’d recommend a pressure washer and a foam cannon and wash with the two bucket method (soap bucket rinse bucket). There is ALOT that goes into protecting your finish. I’ve got dozens and dozens of different products. To me it’s fun and satisfying. I have a deeper shine in my white truck then most black vehicles I see on the road. You don’t need a ceramic coating for a deep shine and you can very easily learn how to fix any damages to your finish by yourself. 6aac0676b8ab0b053c5c59cedf3c0de4.jpg02b421e41939375c50a8de959df6d659.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Cquartz Finest applied to my truck, professionally applied as it only can be applied.
It cost me just under 1K. Well worth it. I would do it again in a year or so. It's 2 years old now. I will get some pics up later for you. Ceramic coatings are awesome.

OP
OP
Ryelinek

Ryelinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have Cquartz Finest applied to my truck, professionally applied as it only can be applied.
It cost me just under 1K. Well worth it. I would do it again in a year or so. It's 2 years old now. I will get some pics up later for you. Ceramic coatings are awesome.

It’s crazy because I live in Northern VA and I can only find one guy local that is an authorized CQuartz professional installer close by. For that level of product on a new car (500 miles or less) his quote is 2k on the website. He probably would try to get even more for a truck. Prices for random **** like this are just high in my area. I’d pay 1k but getting above that is getting a little too crazy for me. Post your photos though I appreciate it.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s crazy because I live in Northern VA and I can only find one guy local that is an authorized CQuartz professional installer close by. For that level of product on a new car (500 miles or less) his quote is 2k on the website. He probably would try to get even more for a truck. Prices for random **** like this are just high in my area. I’d pay 1k but getting above that is getting a little too crazy for me. Post your photos though I appreciate it.
It's expensive because they aren't many people CERTIFIED or APPROVED to apply the product. It's not as easy as some people think. You have to do it in a certain pattern so it doesn't build a layer and so on. But, I'm telling you, it's definitely worth the money man. If you can afford it, you'll thank me later. lol

161608.jpg

161732.jpg

BADHEMI1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 HEMI
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I've used insta finish ceramic. Works great!

Eric Maxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did it to my Corvette and just had my 2019 Limited done. 3 coats of Kenzo Ceramic. Makes it a breeze to clean off the bugs and junk. BTW, The detailer that did the ceramic on the truck said it was one of the best factory paint jobs he has seen. He said very little paint correction was required.

KDunivanHomes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra Ceramic Coating on my truck and my wifes, professionally installed. It's two layers and is a nine year coating. Zoom in on this picture. Its deep, shiney, crystal clear, and wet looking.20181207_202745.jpg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Leave them inside overnight to bond.
Jay