Changing brakes/rotors. Are 2012 Ram 1500 2wd rotors "floating" or "fixed"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I need to change my front and rear pads and rotors but before i get into the job, I was wondering are the rotors "floating" or "locked"?

If you don't know what I mean, let me explain:

Floating: simply remove the wheel, unbolt the caliper and pull the rotor off.

Fixed: Involves removing the wheel, caliper, and a huge nut holding the rotor on, usually has a cotter pin.

One takes 5 minutes to do, the other takes way longer and requires air tools, compressor and large sockets.

If anyone has changed their rotors and knows the answer, that would be awesome.

Truck info: 2012 Ram 1500 Regular Cab Short Bed 2wd 57.l Hemi

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are floating. Once the caliper bracket is removed they will come if. If stuck hit the back with a BFH

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They are floating. Once the caliper bracket is removed they will come if. If stuck hit the back with a BFH
At first I didn't know wtf BFH meant and then I thought about it... Big Fuc... I got the point lol.

Great news, I can save hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I hate doing fixed rotors and I refuse to ever bother with them again.
BFH. Key to life.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It really is.

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When using the bfh, please remember to put a block of wood between the rotor and bfh. You don't want to sent, chip, crack the rotor.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When using the bfh, please remember to put a block of wood between the rotor and bfh. You don't want to sent, chip, crack the rotor.
The rotor coming off the truck is trash and is going to be replaced.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
BFH. I like that. rotors are easy to deal with. when I was swapping the front bearings on my truck, I had to use a 10lb sledge in addition to the ear puller and a custom made rod to beat the heck out of mine.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stopped beating the **** out of my rotors yrs ago once someone showed me the caliper bolt method. It works flawlessly every time. See the video below. I know it's a very corny video of a guy using the method on a Ford, but you'll get the point nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I stopped beating the **** out of my rotors yrs ago once someone showed me the caliper bolt method. It works flawlessly every time. See the video below. I know it's a very corny video of a guy using the method on a Ford, but you'll get the point nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

Where were you two weeks ago... would have saved me a knuckle-buster when I changed my rotors, lol.

Oh, and OP... make sure you have a BF breaker bar and a BF torque wrench. The GD Caliper bolts on my 2500 were torqued to 275 lbs... ugh...

Torque Specs if you need them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdog57