Changing differential fluid for the first time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram sport 4x4 crew
Engine
hemi 5.7
hey all, curious on how much and what type of oil i should use for a differential change. Im going to pull the plate all off and clean up in there. but im curious on what Oil i should use? and how much of it...also what type of gasket sealer is the best.... i live in canada so all i got around me are Canadian tire...home depot....napa and a few other places.

the truck is a 2015 ram sport 5.7L with 3.92 gears im pretty sure..thanks! :)

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If sticking to recommended change intervals, any API spec GL-5 rated gear oil will do you fine. I am sure the boutique oil fan club will be by to tell you otherwise.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah I just don't know what type of oil..they said redline is the best. Just don't know what one to get....I have 3.92 gears.

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Member RLK has an excellent write up in the DIY section. Might be a couple pages back. It has all the info you need. Great pics.

Also check your owners manual for the appropriate fluid type

75-90 front (2 quarts)
75-140 rear (3 quarts)

Verify those amounts!

I’ll be going with Redline based on RLK’s thread and the endorsement of others on here.

Good luck.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
As others stated, any good brand oil will work just fine. However, if you want the absolute best and are willing to pay for it... Redline or Amsoil Severe Gear. I used Amsoil Severe Gear myself.

My front end took one and a half quarts or so. So if yours is like mine, which it most likely is, you'll need two bottles (quarts), as Midwestj stated. For the rear, if its like mine, it will take a bit over two quarts, so you'll need three on hand. If you have the LSD in the rear, you may also need a small tube/container of LSD additive. Every truck is different; some don't need it, others will. Mine needed two ounces of the stuff (half the prescribed amount).

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always use Redline or Royal Purple.....except wife's Honda.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
If sticking to recommended change intervals, any API spec GL-5 rated gear oil will do you fine. I am sure the boutique oil fan club will be by to tell you otherwise.
Damn. Oil boutique club. I spit my friggin drink out I love it. We have the weight police and now the oil boutique club :patriot:

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Damn. Oil boutique club. I spit my friggin drink out I love it. We have the weight police and now the oil boutique club :patriot:
LOL, yeah I smiled when I read that one too.

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm using Pennzoil platinum 75-140 in mine. It already has a limited slip additive. It's sold at Canadian Tire. I always use black ultra rtv Permatax on the covers.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn I wasn't aware that there was a Pennzoil Platinum gear lube available. I definitely support the case for Redline in the crankcase of every Hemi out there but I've had really good luck with plain ole Mobil 1 gear lube myself. My old 2001 Silverado(G80 3.42 gears) has gone 190K miles and was switched over at 50K (first diff oil change) and changed out again at 159K. My dad gave the truck to my sister at 70K and I swapped her a VW bug for it at 159K so I know it had not been changed since the last time I did it and honestly after 6 years and over 100K miles it was still golden brown when I changed it. That's 2 changes in 17 years and 190K miles and no problems with ****** old run of the mill Mobil 1. The tranny fluid was also changed out on those exact same mileages with Valvoline Maxlife ATF and is still going strong. You got plenty of guys on here that want to change diffs,transfer case and tranny fluid like every 20-30K miles and they're using Redline. Sounds like big time overkill to me unless you're towing heavy loads 90% of the time. VernDiesel has like damn near 500K miles on his 8HP70 (most of it towing) and uses Valvoline Maxlife ATF in it and as far as I know its still going strong. Sorry for the rant its your money do want you want and good luck!

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Member RLK has an excellent write up in the DIY section. Might be a couple pages back. It has all the info you need. Great pics.

Also check your owners manual for the appropriate fluid type

75-90 front (2 quarts)
75-140 rear (3 quarts)

Verify those amounts!

I’ll be going with Redline based on RLK’s thread and the endorsement of others on here.

Good luck.
Scratch that. Based on further research, (full disclosure-funded and published by Amsoil) I’m going with amsoil severe gear.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn I wasn't aware that there was a Pennzoil Platinum gear lube available. I definitely support the case for Redline in the crankcase of every Hemi out there but I've had really good luck with plain ole Mobil 1 gear lube myself. My old 2001 Silverado(G80 3.42 gears) has gone 190K miles and was switched over at 50K (first diff oil change) and changed out again at 159K. My dad gave the truck to my sister at 70K and I swapped her a VW bug for it at 159K so I know it had not been changed since the last time I did it and honestly after 6 years and over 100K miles it was still golden brown when I changed it. That's 2 changes in 17 years and 190K miles and no problems with ****** old run of the mill Mobil 1. The tranny fluid was also changed out on those exact same mileages with Valvoline Maxlife ATF and is still going strong. You got plenty of guys on here that want to change diffs,transfer case and tranny fluid like every 20-30K miles and they're using Redline. Sounds like big time overkill to me unless you're towing heavy loads 90% of the time. VernDiesel has like damn near 500K miles on his 8HP70 (most of it towing) and uses Valvoline Maxlife ATF in it and as far as I know its still going strong. Sorry for the rant its your money do want you want and good luck!
It amazes me that Pennzoil can put PUP and their gear oil on the shelf in Canada but us here in the USA have to play let's make a deal with Amazon or Walmart and order it, if it's in stock.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok so I'll be going with redline. I haven't really seen anything about changing the front diff...is it tet same process as the rear ???...and what do you guys recommend for a sealer??

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Ok so I'll be going with redline. I haven't really seen anything about changing the front diff...is it tet same process as the rear ???...and what do you guys recommend for a sealer??

There are two different mindsets, on either side of the spectrum, on this. One is the "always remove the cover and clean it thoroughly" camp, the other is the "just use the drain plugs" camp. Some choose something in between, e.g., remove the cover the first time for a cleaning, but just use the drain plugs after that for future changes. Others alternate; remove cover, for the next time or few times use the drain plug, then remove cover again for thorough cleaning, and repeat.

I removed my cover the first time on the rear only, since mine has the LSD (typically a little more wear metal), and cleaned it decently. I used a Fel-Pro gasket for sealing it back up. I cannot recall, but I think I may have used a little RTV on it as well. If you do use RTV, make sure its the stuff designed for gear oils. I have yet to run into a name-brand RTV that won't make a decent gasket, but some do not respond well to gear oil and will break down/let it through after some time.

From now on, I'll just be using the drain plug and fill plugs. Bar disaster, I do not plan on opening the rear or front differentials again for as long as I own the truck. (At least another 30k-40k, which for me is several years.)