Best gear oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did a quick search and couldn’t find anything on this, so I figured I’d start one. I’m just curious what you guys and gals think the best gear oil is for our trucks. I got a 2017 1500 with 3.92 gears and a lsd rear end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I just did both mine and used Lucas. I’m also going to do it soon like in 10k miles I got truck used. Maybe I go with something different but as of now I see no changes it didn’t have problems when I changed just needed changed.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
IMO gear oil in this order:

1. Redline
2. Amsoil SG
3. Mobil 1
4. Pennzoil Platinum (if you can find it)

I would stay away from Lucas based on several independent tests I've seen that show it's not the greatest gear oil.

Dont forget about Royal purple , it does not look good in those test either.. :)

Last edited:

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I use Amsoil Severe Gear. But I don't think you can go wrong with either it or Redline. Mobil 1 is decent as well.

Whether Redline or Amsoil SG need additional friction modifier seems to vary. Most do not need it, some do. I needed a little bit, my rear end liked to complain when I'd make a turn while reversing. Added two ounces (half of what the directions on the bottles say), and no more issues.

I haven't heard a lot about Valvoline here yet. I've heard it is decent as well.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want something local off-the-shelf and proven over many years, get the Mobil 1 synthetic with already added friction modifier at your local auto parts store....
I have used this for many years, and have never had any issues. Be sure to get LS 75-140 for the rear diff.

OP
OP
Dark Knight 500

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I see someone saying 75-140 for the rear diff, but then I see elsewhere (http://dodgeram.info/tech/BRSpecs/fluids/specs.html) that for the standard rear diff it's 80W-90. Which is correct? And how much would I need?

I would say it depends on the year, and what axles you got. I always go by the owners manual personally.
In my truck, it’s 75w85 (75w90) in the front and 75w140 with additive in the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro