Changing engines.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just got a short bed reg cab 2wd with a 5.2 and a 5 speed. Can I drop a 5.9 in her. Will there be any other mods. I know that I will need a 98 or 99 engine to keep the wireing harness, without having to modify it. Thanks for all advice.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The engine can be a 94-2002. That doesn't matter. Use your factory harness. Only thing is you may need to swap intake manifolds and a couple sensors and the intake manifold should be removed and fixed prior to install anyways.

You'll need a flywheel for a 360. Considering they weren't available with a manual in 1500s, you'll have to look at 2500 parts.

Also pcm programming is different between the 2 engines. They run each other "fine" as most would say but i don't find that good enough in my personal opinion. Since you bought a regular cab short bed 2wd with a 5spd and are asking about a larger engine.... I'm ASSUMING you're looking for the performance/hotrod aspect of it. Pardon me if I'm wrong. But, going on that assumption, don't bother swapping the pcm. Simply order a tune. You'll tell the tuner what engine and trans and you'll get a tune for that. The factory 318pcm fam be written for a 360. It's no more headache than finding the correct pcm, doesn't cost much more and really lets you benefit from the swap

OP
OP
J

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh ya I want the performance gain alright. So are you saying the 318 flywheel won,t work on the 360? Yhanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007