Changing out mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig614

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello there!
I have a small question that hopefully someone can answer for me. I just picked up a Pre-Certified 2016 Ram 2500HD SLT and it did not come with tow mirrors. They are standard mirrors with only the defroster. If I change out the standard mirrors for tow mirrors are the trucks prewired to accept mirrors with directionals, is there just a fuse or something that I have to add or do I have to run new circuits too? If I do then I will just get a standard tow mirror but I thought they used astandard harness ion all the trucks.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Craig

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hello there!
I have a small question that hopefully someone can answer for me. I just picked up a Pre-Certified 2016 Ram 2500HD SLT and it did not come with tow mirrors. They are standard mirrors with only the defroster. If I change out the standard mirrors for tow mirrors are the trucks prewired to accept mirrors with directionals, is there just a fuse or something that I have to add or do I have to run new circuits too? If I do then I will just get a standard tow mirror but I thought they used astandard harness ion all the trucks.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Craig

The wiring is there, but you will need to either have the dealer add the sales code for the mirror mounted signals OR (and this is the better way to do it) get a copy of AlphaOBD and just turn the option on yourself.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

You will need:

Tow Mirrors of your choice (I personally recommend the Trail Ridge brand sold by 1AAuto, you can't tell the difference from OEM)
Right Bracket 68078242AA
Left Bracket 68078243AA
Nut Rivit (6) 6507161AA
Bracket Screw (6) 6508709AA

The brackets go inside the door and support the extra weight of the tow mirrors, eliminating vibration and preventing the door skin from buckling if downward force is applied to the mirrors.

-K

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Boy are you in the wrong place lol

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Boy are you in the wrong place lol

I think @HemiLonestar means you posted in the wrong sub forum, your 2009 is a 4th Gen truck and you posted in the 3rd Gen sub-forum. But I failed to notice that it was in the wrong forum and gave you the info for a 4th Gen truck anyway, so you're good! :)

@MADDOG or @quietpeen, can we get this thread moved over to the 4th Gen Exterior forum? Thanks!

-K

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
wrong thread...sigh, getting old...