Check engine/ regen.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papadon62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all. I have a 2020 6.7. Three weeks ago it threw a check engine. Then after a couple of days it said exhaust filter nearly full. Drove the snot out of it to no avail. Never went into limp mode. Shop said it had a turbo problem (covered by warranty) they also told me if unit throws the check light the pcm will not let it go into regen. Fast forward to today. Check engine light back on. Anybody else have this issue and are they right about no regen when check engine light on?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What air filter are you using the 2019 an newer trucks takes a different air filter than the 2018 an older trucks and that can cause regen problems, so go take a look at your air filter if it looks like the first photo below its the correct one, if it has glued pleated like the second photo its the wrong air filter.. If it has the correct air filter do you do a lot of in town stop & go driving or use diesel fuel that contains 20% bio diesel or were you don't get the truck out on the hwy for long enough drives for it to do passive regens?

Attachments

• Fleeetguard Air filter.jpg
    Fleeetguard Air filter.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Pleted air filter.jpg
    Pleted air filter.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 9

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the code thrown? If it is regen mode to frequent I would go to the deal and get a Oem filter. Re-set the code on the truck and give it a go.

texcwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO
As 06 Dodge says, most auto stores and the internet still sell the wrong air filters for these trucks. I was troughing a P0299 turbo underboost code. The dealer tried to fix twice then saying they needed to put a new turbo on it. When I took it in for the new turbo, the tech found that the pleated filter with glue strips was most likely the issue. I replaced it and have not had the code come back since (10k mile+).

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thats insane that the filter would make this much of a difference. I have one of the Gen4 filters new in box, guess I cant use it now.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thats insane that the filter would make this much of a difference. I have one of the Gen4 filters new in box, guess I cant use it now.
That's correct, you can't. It's got to do with the amount of flow the PCM is looking for - the Gen4 and Gen5 apparently flow differently enough that it throws a code if you use a Gen4 in a Gen5.

That said, there's likely plenty of guys on the Gen4 forum who would take it off your hands for a price+shipping. You could make the offer to them.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
That's correct, you can't. It's got to do with the amount of flow the PCM is looking for - the Gen4 and Gen5 apparently flow differently enough that it throws a code if you use a Gen4 in a Gen5.

That said, there's likely plenty of guys on the Gen4 forum who would take it off your hands for a price+shipping. You could make the offer to them.
Thanks to this post, I checked the filter that my son installed in September and it was the wrong one. I never got a code though, after approx 2500 miles.
Just put the correct one from Geno's in today!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Don't feel too bad I also have one on the shelf that I can't use, I purchased early last year before this glue strip stuff became known and no one is willing to take it off my hands.

Maltrin22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Hey all. I have a 2020 6.7. Three weeks ago it threw a check engine. Then after a couple of days it said exhaust filter nearly full. Drove the snot out of it to no avail. Never went into limp mode. Shop said it had a turbo problem (covered by warranty) they also told me if unit throws the check light the pcm will not let it go into regen. Fast forward to today. Check engine light back on. Anybody else have this issue and are they right about no regen when check engine light on?

Maltrin22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Mine threw that light the other day took to dealer. They done a forced regen and light went out. Mine doesnt flash message during regen. Havent had it on highway for awhile so Ill just drive and see whats happens

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517