2022 Cummins Regen Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hphillips65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a new '22 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins with 13K miles on it. It has been in and out of the shop for the last few weeks for a check engine light. The code refers to regen issues. The mechanic says it is a regen issue and asked how I used the truck (like I needed to not use it too hard). He said that it starts to regen and if you shut the truck off it throws the code. Doesn't make sense to me. The mechanic stated he was awaiting approval from Dodge to give them approval to "Flash, the PCM" Anyone have any thoughts on this?? I told him he had until this Friday and I am picking the truck up,.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The mechanic says it is a regen issue and asked how I used the truck (like I needed to not use it too hard). He said that it starts to regen and if you shut the truck off it throws the code. Doesn't make sense to me.
What's the code numbers?
If any you might not be using it hard enough, sort trips can be tough on the DPF performing a regen. I doubt your getting a engine code for turning the engine off during a regen but more along the lines the regen failed to complete too many times and/or the DPF soot percentage is too high.
It a good idea to have the truck running along the freeway for a good 35-45 minutes on a regular basis so the system can regen the DPF.

OP
OP
H

hphillips65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What's the code numbers?
If any you might not be using it hard enough, sort trips can be tough on the DPF performing a regen. I doubt your getting a engine code for turning the engine off during a regen but more along the lines the regen failed to complete too many times and/or the DPF soot percentage is too high.
It a good idea to have the truck running along the freeway for a good 35-45 minutes on a regular basis so the system can regen the DPF.
The last time it was in the shop (May 25th) I took it in for a check engine light and that was CODE P2459 Regen Frequency. They cleared the code said they were unsure as to why it was there. A few weeks later the check engine light came back on and that is where I am now. I can definitely see the short rides, however I do frequent the freeway for short trips. This happened about 3 weeks after I had all the filters replaced.

OP
OP
H

hphillips65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you for that link, some good info to think about. I had the dealership replace all the filters. But I would assume (I know the saying :) ) they would have checked the filters. Oh that's right the first time it was in the shop, I brought the truck home and had oil all over my driveway and took it back immediately and they said it was oil coming from behind the PCM Bracket and found the expansion plug missing. I am no mechanic and I am really putting my trust in the mechanics that have the training and knowledge.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Alfaobd can perform a stationary desoot. Takes about an hour and uses 2 - 3 gallons of fuel.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The last time it was in the shop (May 25th) I took it in for a check engine light and that was CODE P2459 Regen Frequency. They cleared the code said they were unsure as to why it was there. A few weeks later the check engine light came back on and that is where I am now. I can definitely see the short rides, however I do frequent the freeway for short trips. This happened about 3 weeks after I had all the filters replaced.
This could be your entire problem - you're making short trips, which will let soot build up faster than long trips. I just got into a 2500 with the Cummins, I have 1600 miles on it, and it's been through 2 regen cycles so far. But then, I also drive 35 minutes MINIMUM back and forth to work every day, so I'm not really making 'short trips' with it.

Short trips of less than 15-20 miles are hell on diesels, especially if they're shut off at the end of the trip (headed to the store, hardware, etc). It's not AS bad if you let it sit and run, but it's still not what big diesels are built for. They're built for either long trips or pulling big loads. Using it as a grocery getter is going to clog your DPF, and not going for a long enough drive to let it complete a regen cycle is going to cause you issues.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This could be your entire problem - you're making short trips, which will let soot build up faster than long trips. I just got into a 2500 with the Cummins, I have 1600 miles on it, and it's been through 2 regen cycles so far. But then, I also drive 35 minutes MINIMUM back and forth to work every day, so I'm not really making 'short trips' with it.

Short trips of less than 15-20 miles are hell on diesels, especially if they're shut off at the end of the trip (headed to the store, hardware, etc). It's not AS bad if you let it sit and run, but it's still not what big diesels are built for. They're built for either long trips or pulling big loads. Using it as a grocery getter is going to clog your DPF, and not going for a long enough drive to let it complete a regen cycle is going to cause you issues.

Not true. My wife drove ours (18 CTD) as a grocery getter for years, taking the kids to school everyday. That trip was 9 miles round trip twice a day. Depending on the weather she would shut it down or let it idle. The only issue I had was she got contaminated DEF fluid once that had to be flushed out.

MTDewX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off my opinion is DEF STUPID.

This is my first Cummings and in the 4.5 months and 37k miles ive owned it. it only regens when im running errands in town. towing its not even a consideration. I have a 20-30 min run to town. but I drive a lot anyway hauling RV's. but on a day off of running errands I get a regen alert almost every time. but NEVER when I am dragging a trailer. and it dont matter if its a small travel trailer or 5th wheel.

I know not every one tows all the time. but that seems to keep the stupid regen at bay. just my experience.

Last edited:

NotSoFast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
My 2020 2500 had regen issues. I took it into the shop and they did 2 stationary regen cycles, which helped some. But it was always plugging up and the regenerating. It was cured by hooking up the trailer and driving it 75 on the freeway for 100 miles. Working fine again after that. Seems to be the answer.

OP
OP
H

hphillips65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
***Update*** truck has been in the shop now again for over a week. The Ram service advisor stated that the job was escalated to a star case again. And now it has been escalated to Chrysler. So my new truck just sits.

marzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Is your 22 cummins still missing the 2nd DPF sensor like all the 22,s.?
We ordered 2 of the 22,s and both had major issues with Regens as they were on a run hours schedule because of the lack of that particular sensor. They were constantly going into limp mode and many other issues with ours in the first 6 months so dealer stepped up and bought them back and I went with the hemi. Chrysler were dragging there feet so much and it was affecting our business so owner of dealership did us a real solid.

MTDewX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DEF is stupid.

I regen even when towing (waste of 2-3 gallons) and when you drive a lot it adds up. had the truck almost 5 months and 42k miles. thankfully no issues, but wasting fuel.

OP
OP
H

hphillips65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
We ordered 2 of the 22,s and both had major issues with Regens as they were on a run hours schedule because of the lack of that particular sensor. They were constantly going into limp mode and many other issues with ours in the first 6 months so dealer stepped up and bought them back and I went with the hemi. Chrysler were dragging there feet so much and it was affecting our business so owner of dealership did us a real solid.
The dealer called me and said they don’t know what’s wrong with it. And they wanted to know my “driving habits”

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There was a stop-sale on certain '22s because of this missing sensor - so if you got one without the sensor, you were supposed to be notified when the sensor was in stock so they could install it, or you weren't supposed to take delivery of the truck until it was fixed.

I only know about this because my local dealer had 8 on the lot that didn't sell once the stop-sale was lifted...they've only got 7 now, because I bought mine.

OP
OP
H

hphillips65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There was a stop-sale on certain '22s because of this missing sensor - so if you got one without the sensor, you were supposed to be notified when the sensor was in stock so they could install it, or you weren't supposed to take delivery of the truck until it was fixed.

I only know about this because my local dealer had 8 on the lot that didn't sell once the stop-sale was lifted...they've only got 7 now, because I bought mine.
Because of this forum, I asked about that. And the service advisor said yes they are aware and that is not the case.

MTDewX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DEF has Nothing to do with regens or your DPF filter.....

I know. was replying in haste. haha. just frustrated with all the new emissions stuff generally speaking. thanks for calling me out.

Buford Boone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 2022 2500 Cummins with about 37K miles on it. I bought the truck about 7 weeks ago.

About 3 weeks ago, got the "DPF Full - See Dealer" message.

First contact with local dealer I was very impressed. They got me in quickly, diagnosed it quickly and said they would have to replace the DPF, under warranty. That was the good news.

The bad news? They said they didn't have one in stock and it would take a few days.

Well, "A few Days" has turned into 3 weeks. They can't get the part. What in the world is wrong with Ram? This is very disappointing. I'd think they would keep filters in stock.

Is replacing the DPF a common thing?

If anyone from RAM is listening (reading)...A little help would be appreciated.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a 2022 2500 Cummins with about 37K miles on it. I bought the truck about 7 weeks ago.

About 3 weeks ago, got the "DPF Full - See Dealer" message.

First contact with local dealer I was very impressed. They got me in quickly, diagnosed it quickly and said they would have to replace the DPF, under warranty. That was the good news.

The bad news? They said they didn't have one in stock and it would take a few days.

Well, "A few Days" has turned into 3 weeks. They can't get the part. What in the world is wrong with Ram? This is very disappointing. I'd think they would keep filters in stock.

Is replacing the DPF a common thing?

If anyone from RAM is listening (reading)...A little help would be appreciated.

It depends on how the truck is driven, but under 'normal' operation then no the DPF shouldn't need to be replaced. In order to clog it up, you'd have to make lots of short trips and never let it complete a regen cycle. I wouldn't think a '22 with 37k on it would have been run like that though. Perhaps someone tuned it to remove the regen cycles?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat