chrome side step vs air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

argoldst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 hemi
I have just placed my order for a 2013 laramie v8 8 speed. My only issue is deciding on the air suspension.

I have a 2011 grand cherokee with it and while it was nice I don't feel like it was really worth it.

What do you guys think. Is the air suspension worth the additional $1k or should I just stick with the side steps ($525)?

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
With a truck if your going to tow then yes because without the air suspension in the back these trucks squat like you are pulling 80k lbs

Ram bo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that ting gots a hemi!
the kids & I use the ide steps everytime we get in the truck. as for towing, there's always the airlift 1000 (still sitting in the box, maybe weekend project)

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The air suspension would likely bolster your resale value, provided it still works well by the time you're done with the truck.
As above, Airlift 1000 is under a hundred bucks, easy to do, adjustable and chrome steps help every day, not just when you're towing. (I can't think of too many other advantages of the air susp.)

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$1500.00 option vs a $300.00 option.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
the air suspension is supposed to help with gas mileage because it automatically adjust the ride height on the higway...well at least that i what i thought

jdichiara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I went with the standard suspension because I knew I was going to add a lift kit later.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Is the air suspension manually controllable?

I know in the Touaregs you could "lift" the car for offroading, and then "drop" it on the road, it was totally friggin worth it if you live somewhere needing 4x4 a lot due to deep snow, and stuff.

If you are going to modify the suspension later though I think you definitely made the right choice to avoid it.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
the kids & I use the ide steps everytime we get in the truck. as for towing, there's always the airlift 1000 (still sitting in the box, maybe weekend project)

I'm in the same boat as Ram bo. In my personal opinion, I would go for the sidesteps. My truck came with them so I got lucky. I use them everytime I get in and out of my truck. At 5'9, I'd be doing alot of falling in and out of my truck if I didn't have the sidesteps and "oh s**t" handle in the cab hahah.

That's just my opinion though. Just think about what you would get more daily use and enjoyment out of. Especially if you had the air ride in your jeep and don't think it's a necessary creature comfort. And the side steps are cheaper...

kxlexus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the air ride on my 2013 Laramie. I would get it again even if it was twice the price.
The truck handles so much better than the coil spring suspension.

OP
OP
A

argoldst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 hemi
For those that recommend the air suspension, would you also get the step or is that redundant as the drop from the air suspension lowers the truck enough that it isn't needed?

kxlexus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't get the side steps with my air ride. I rarely use the entry exit setting either.
It does drop it quite a bit but I have no problem getting in or out of the truck in normal ride height or off road 1 or 2 for that matter. About the only time I lower it is when loading my dirtbike at home when I don't want to start the bike and ride it into the truck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981