Cigarette lighter shorted, pops fuses immediately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve c Kaplan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not sure what happened to start this. I have a 2008 1500 4x4. The cigar lighter on the driver side has never worked since I have had the truck. I used a small 12v air compressor to top off my tires using the dash cigarette lighter on the passenger side, all worked fine.

I hopped in and plugged my cell phone charger and no voltage. checked the fuses and number 40 was blown. when I replace the fuse and turn on the key the new fuse immediately blows, even with no load. Tried the lighter inside the console and in the back seat and they are both dead as well.

I pulled the dash panel off to access the back of the dash lighters but all looks good there.

so now, none of my cigarette lighters / power plugs work, all fuses are OK except number 40 which blows immediately.

I am not sure where to start to get some of this resolved, I don't think they all feed off the same 12v line. I am considering taking this to the dealer, but thought someone here may have some ah-ha ideas..

thanks,
Steve

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a short somewhere. Do you have a DMM or VOM? With everything off, I'd start measuring resistance between ground and +12V at every plug.

OP
OP
Steve c Kaplan

Steve c Kaplan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am getting a multimeter today to see if I can find the short. the wire on the air compressor got pretty hot, I am wondering if the insulation melted somewhere causing the short.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a similar issue in my 2015. When I use a cig lighter and have my phone charging off the 120 at the same time, it pops the fuse. Got tired of replacing the fuse. Went to use a compressor the other day off my cigarette lighter port and it wouldn't work. Couldn't remember if the fuse is currently tly popped or not, but didn't bother checking lol.