Clanking noise around transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Just had a bunch of work done on my truck. 2014 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7. Just about to hit 150K. New water pump and thermostat. Replaced both front cv axles for the 2nd time in 2 years (boot failure). New control arm on the driver side and new lower ball joints. New front brakes and rotors as the rotors were warped. Also had an oil change done and an alignment. Cost me about $2800 just 2 days ago.

Now I'm hearing some kind of clunking noise coming from the bottom of the engine bay. Seems to be loudest right around the transmission area. I don't hear it on cold start but by the time I got to work this morning you can really hear it. I am hearing it at idle and while I drive. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? I'm going to take it in today but pretty paranoid that it's some kind of engine knock. I am definitely overdue for new spark plugs and probably need to have the coil packs looked at but I'm not sure they would cause that kind of noise.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they put the oil back in? hmmmmmmmmmm..... Something they did either possibly caused and issue or an issue U were not aware of has shown its' ugly head.

Would help if U can post video of possible location and sound.

OP
OP
mcdo3920

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I did get a video of it. I’ll post it here soon. It’s not constant, switches to a tick kind of sound every 7-8 clunks. Can’t get it back into the shop until Tuesday.

OP
OP
mcdo3920

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Is your oil pressure the same as before ?
I’m not sure what it was before. It was at 55 psi on my way into work this morning. I was looking at maybe something with the flex plate or torque converter. I’ve been getting some hard downshifts and shuddering too. Almost feels like the transmission is slipping until it warms up and then it stops.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Was your truck sounding like that before the work that was performed?

Did you check the oil dipstick to see if you have oil in the engine?

I wouldn't drive it sounding like that, and have it towed back to whomever did the work and let them diagnose what could be wrong.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m not sure what it was before. It was at 55 psi on my way into work this morning. I was looking at maybe something with the flex plate or torque converter. I’ve been getting some hard downshifts and shuddering too. Almost feels like the transmission is slipping until it warms up and then it stops.

Have you ever had the transmission serviced? Do you have the 6 speed or 8 speed transmission? Ram says the fluid is good for life but the 8 speed transmission manufacturer says change the fluid at 60K mile intervals. The hard shifts could be related to bad fluid or low fluid level.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Obvious question, but have you crawled under it to look/listen.

Last time mine sounded like that, I crawled under and found one of my exhaust pipes laying on the drive shaft. It was easy to diagnose, and easy to fix. Just had to replace a U bolt

OP
OP
mcdo3920

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Was your truck sounding like that before the work that was performed?

Did you check the oil dipstick to see if you have oil in the engine?

I wouldn't drive it sounding like that, and have it towed back to whomever did the work and let them diagnose what could be wrong.

Truck definitely didn't sound like that before the work was performed. I checked the oil, it was full. I work a long way from home so don't have much choice but to drive it unfortunately.

Have you ever had the transmission serviced? Do you have the 6 speed or 8 speed transmission? Ram says the fluid is good for life but the 8 speed transmission manufacturer says change the fluid at 60K mile intervals. The hard shifts could be related to bad fluid or low fluid level.

I haven't ever had the transmission serviced. It's the 8-speed transmission. Something I definitely need to look at.

Obvious question, but have you crawled under it to look/listen.

Last time mine sounded like that, I crawled under and found one of my exhaust pipes laying on the drive shaft. It was easy to diagnose, and easy to fix. Just had to replace a U bolt

I checked yesterday but was rushed with kids in the car. I just crawled under again. Couldn't see anything loose or obvious. I'm not a mechanic or even close to one but it definitely seems a lot louder right in the exhaust manifold area. I revved it in park and neutral. The noise speeds up when you give it gas. Maybe something with the exhaust? Fingers crossed that it's not the engine itself.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Truck definitely didn't sound like that before the work was performed. I checked the oil, it was full. I work a long way from home so don't have much choice but to drive it unfortunately.

I haven't ever had the transmission serviced. It's the 8-speed transmission. Something I definitely need to look at.

I checked yesterday but was rushed with kids in the car. I just crawled under again. Couldn't see anything loose or obvious. I'm not a mechanic or even close to one but it definitely seems a lot louder right in the exhaust manifold area. I revved it in park and neutral. The noise speeds up when you give it gas. Maybe something with the exhaust? Fingers crossed that it's not the engine itself.

My first suspicion would be something in the timing cover/water pump. Maybe they accidentally dropped a tool or bolt in.

If you can find a short section of garden hose or similar, use it like a stethoscope. Stick one end to your ear, and the other to various parts of the lower engine area, and identify exactly where it's coming from.

Or, better yet, take it back to the shop that screwed it up,and make them unAss your truck before something goes catastrophically bad!

It sounds to be tapping at a frequency of about half the engine RPM. That, to me, indicates a valve train issue that should be looked into ASAP, before something breaks and grenades the engine.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Also, Since they had the belt off for the water pump work, I would look over the pulleys, tensioner and belt routing for anything obvious.

The tapping that changes back to clunks, taps, etc, intermittently kinda sounds like a wire, clamp, connector, bolt head or some other random part getting bumped around by a pulley or belt.

OP
OP
mcdo3920

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Also, Since they had the belt off for the water pump work, I would look over the pulleys, tensioner and belt routing for anything obvious.

The tapping that changes back to clunks, taps, etc, intermittently kinda sounds like a wire, clamp, connector, bolt head or some other random part getting bumped around by a pulley or belt.

You might be on to something with that. The mechanic did tell me that they had to flush the coolant system twice after they replaced the water pump and thermostat. He asked me to stop by again to check things this week. I guess the thermostat was so rusted that it was leaking rust into the system.

Appreciate everyone's input! Been awhile since I've posted on this forum, but it's saved my bacon on some things before.

seems fishy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not let the shop that charged you for your recent repair work have a quick look and give you an assessment.As you said your not mechanically minded.They might notice something

OP
OP
mcdo3920

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Why not let the shop that charged you for your recent repair work have a quick look and give you an assessment.As you said your not mechanically minded.They might notice something

I did give them a call but they can't get me back in until Tuesday with the holiday.

OP
OP
mcdo3920

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Update after taking it to the mechanic. The shop couldn't figure it out. Had his 'two best guys' look at it. Said they put a stethoscope to both the manifold and valve train, but sound seemed to be coming from both. They also checked the flex plate.

They ended up putting an oil additive in to see if that helps but not holding my breath. I'm going to take it to a different mechanic and get a 2nd opinion. I am aware of the manifold gasket issues on these trucks. I had a few bolts replaced under warranty back in 2019. Does anyone think a warped gasket with broken bolts could be making that noise?

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You don't hear it at startup, but only when it warms up? They replaced water pump and thermostat. I've never heard of either making that sound, but it sure points to the last guy in there. They should be looking at what they did, and not poking around for something else to charge you for

OP
OP
mcdo3920

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
You don't hear it at startup, but only when it warms up? They replaced water pump and thermostat. I've never heard of either making that sound, but it sure points to the last guy in there. They should be looking at what they did, and not poking around for something else to charge you for

Agreed, I've lost faith in this mechanic. I'm going to take it to another shop. If it's something that the first guy did. It'll be going back to demand they fix it.

OP
OP
mcdo3920

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Had a mechanic I trust at work take a listen to it. He thinks it's in the valve train. Either a bad lifter or rocker. Got a quote from a different shop on new lifters and it'll be about $3K. Hard pill to swallow after just dropping $2800 a week ago! The weird thing is I haven't gotten any check engine light. There's also been no drop in oil pressure and no spikes in temperature. Engine seems to be running fine although it does seem to be a little slow to respond sometimes.