class 4 hitch on truck with more payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Why do they only put class4 hitches on the1500 if it can handle more tongue weight? For example if you have a big rv and gear etc. You go over1200 and the truck can handle it but your hitch can't. Is it a $ issue during production

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I honestly don't think the 1/2 can handle 1200 on the hitch. I mean my truck is rated 1500 payload so me and my wife weigh just over 400 together -150 that ram allows for driver is 250 plus 1200 for trailer weight is 1450 and I'm sure there is 50lbs of tools and straps in my truck im there. My truck has one of the highest payloads being a express.

The big horn payload is just over 1300 and the larmie is under 1000 I believe. So there isn't really a need for a class v on the 1500 witch makes it a $$$$ issue.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Im confused. Cant all your payload capacity be used on the trucks tongue? So, if my truck is 1350 payload , I should be able to hook up a trailer that has 1350 pounds tongue weight (as long as I dont load anything else and i have a class 5 hitch)? Isnt that what payload is? I never knew it had to be distributed between the hitch and the cab?
Actually the trailer in my album was 1300 on the tongue ( I know I was over). Oh and I know my hitch is frame mounted, but isnt it permanently welded? I got the package from ram
By the way, I am not planning on anything near that hitch weight for a trailer. But , i am looking to get a new toy hauler and the one I want is 800 pounds hitch weight. This one here, the 2912:
http://cruiserrv.com/products-2015/stryker-toy-hauler/floor-plans-stryker
Im out of my mind , right? Its actually lighter on the tongue than the one i was using but longer, Im thinking thats total length (I have to call), its probably 28'

i know it will be close with the weights and this thing is a monster (not good for wind, or brakes, etc.). Of course, i have a wdh and bags and would probably get better tires, etc. But, i am trying to decide if i should trade my truck. Im getting closer every day!

Thanks for the replies guys

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That is a hell of a trailer me personally wouldn't want to go larger than 28ft that's just personal prefrence there are lots of guys towing 30 and 32's. One guy actually tows a 35ft TT and the payload is everything in total weight passengers cargo anything you have in the cab goes towards payload.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, i know all about those livin lite. UGLY! The one i had was 28, but i think their total lenghts are a few feet more with the a frame. Thats why ive been looking. Options are very limited for bigger trailers like that for a 1/2 ton. I want certain options like electric beds, nice garage, decent living space, etc. Still trying to get a 1 ton though(in case i get a 5th wheel in the future) which is what id like to do

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Toy haulers are notorious for heavy tongue weight because of all the crap they expect you to load in the rear. Notice the head placement in the front of the Stryker floorplan. Chances are the black tank isn't too far away (in front of the axles). Compare that with most TT floorplans and you see the head and tanks directly over the axles (or further back). A bit off topic I know but goes to show how the mfr expects you to balance the weight therefore being able to call a model "half ton towable". I see speculated tongue weights on here so very often. 10% this and 15% that. Those are great for shopping and guessing but you'll never be sure until you load your unit with your stuff and weigh it. My projected tongue weight should've crushed my GVWR, RAWR, and hitch rating.
But it don't. [emoji41]

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
soon as my truck is paid off that's what we are buying, prolly a 28ft 5ther toy hauler... I want to stay under the 30 foot mark since most state parks limit at that and I want to take the kids to some in the future.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Towing 30' toyhauler

Noticed one post concerning towing a 30' tow hauler with the 14 mega cab 2500. I would seriously suggest you go and pull a tongue hitch trailer of similar weight prior to purchasing and mounting receiver in bed. If you are going to be in the 12k or upward, fully loaded, you need to tow that weight before investing the money. I have 14 crew with 6.4 and 13k trailer. Stock gear 3.73. Lets just say, personal opinion, way too high for towing especially in hilly and or higher elevations. Cured mine. lol

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Idk.I'm really stressed about this. Idon't want a 5 or 600 dollar payment even tHough I can afford it, I don't want to. If I get a hd truck though ican get any trailer pretty much.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Idk.I'm really stressed about this. Idon't want a 5 or 600 dollar payment even tHough I can afford it, I don't want to. If I get a hd truck though ican get any trailer pretty much.

Well if you get a bigger truck you are only going to buy a more expensive trailer probably. I would just find a trailer your truck can handle and work for you.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Idk.I'm really stressed about this. Idon't want a 5 or 600 dollar payment even tHough I can afford it, I don't want to. If I get a hd truck though ican get any trailer pretty much.<br/>

Yeah, but just think of the slew of other sh*t you could be stressing over.
Scurvy, for instance.[emoji15]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's exactly the opposite. Most of the lightweight th trailers that I likeare going to be hard to find used. If I get a hd truck ican probably get one for15k or even less. Otherwise I'm spending 30k. Those living lite are the ones ratket was referring to. it was only a 50 pound difference on the tongue. You guys are entertaining. I like it here. You'll be hearing from me. I've been going back and forth with this. I'm hoping to have afinal decision within acouple weeks. Thanks

Well if you get a bigger truck you are only going to buy a more expensive trailer probably. I would just find a trailer your truck can handle and work for you.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Now this may sound like astupid question.but I'm here to learn. What is easier/more preferable to tow in high winds, a 28ft 8000pound trailer or28 ft 3000pound trailer? I Was thinking the heavy one can control u more than you can control it.but it'd also be better than a light one cause it's more "planted" on the road cause of the weight?

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A heavier trailer will be more stable provided the weight distribution is low in the trailer. I drove tractor trailers for a long time and empty trailers were always more dangerous in the wind than loaded ones.

This is also assuming that the tow vehicle is properly sized for the trailer and the rig is set up properly.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, i called cruiserrv which makes the stryker th that im looking at. They said the inside lenght is 28' which is the same as the TH that I was hauling in my album, but MUCH less pin weight. This might work as long as theirs no hurricanes out there. Throw some shocks , coils and tires on and presto! Just saved about 100-200 month in truck payment!