Clearance Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I live in Kansas City, and I see diesels everywhere! Everytime i see one, the first thing i look for are the clearance lights. Now, i have a 1500, and I was wondering, how big of a job is it to install? And, which lights to buy?

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have the Recons on my 2500 and also had them on my 1500. They have never failed me.

THe job isn't terrible...as long as you are willing to drill holes in your cab. lol Just fallow the instrustions to the T...measure...measure again...measure some more...go to drill your hole...get scared...then measure again. All in all it was about 3-4 hours to instal.

OP
OP
K

KC Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@schroederMP, good looking out and very good advice, i build electrical panels so i am very comfortable with power tools, measuring, and the wiring but this is definitely a one shot kind of thing. Ill post pics when i get them installed, I'm hoping for mid march due to my travel schedule, but once again, thanks to all for the advice, and wish me luck haha

Captain McGillycutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have the recons on my 2500 and also had them on my 1500. They have never failed me.

The job isn't terrible...as long as you are willing to drill holes in your cab. Lol just fallow the instrustions to the t...measure...measure again...measure some more...go to drill your hole...get scared...then measure again. All in all it was about 3-4 hours to instal.

yes!!

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Super easy install - once you get past the fear of drilling holes in the roof. I've had the Recons since '05 and only now am I getting just a hint of condensation inside them when it's super humid. Upon inspection I see that the little rubber O-rings around the screws are dry rotted, cracked and have pieces missing. So I'll have to tackle them one of these days, get me some new O-rings and/or get them off and dab the screws with silicone or something. But I can't complain, those O-rings lasted over six years in the hot southern sun.

101_0055-1.jpg

OP
OP
K

KC Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks Hammer, i have been researching the lights just a little bit, and i think i'm going to go with the Recon amber lights!

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've done the mopar set on my 1500 and my current 2500...great kit, comes with everything you need (even the stencil) and have never had a problem. My buddy who has the smoked recons has already had two bulbs go out in his... I'd go with mopar, but I'm an oem kinda guy lol

MoparSickness77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I want to get the oem ones to cause I found a set that is at a good price. Does anyone know if you can tint them like the recons? Or will the yellow plastic not look good like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
i actually tinted my mopars on my 1500, and it worked/looked bad ass! (at least i thought lol). They look at black as possible until you turn the light on..which then they look amber
IMAG0085.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Yup you can!
f774c1ed.jpg
505ad005.jpg
7758b9a6.jpg
I didn't wet sand them after I cleared them cause I liked the flat

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Yep, Mopar 85 bucks, Sealed units and no requirement for silicone and a couple hours to do if you are already familiar with dropping/removal of the headliner process.

2012-01-11164120.jpg
2012-01-11164139-1.jpg

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done the mopar set on my 1500 and my current 2500...great kit, comes with everything you need (even the stencil) and have never had a problem. My buddy who has the smoked recons has already had two bulbs go out in his... I'd go with mopar, but I'm an oem kinda guy lol

Now that's about the opposite of what I've seen. The "trick" for a lot of guys was to buy the Mopar ones to get the template, then use the Recons because they use LEDs instead of bulbs because they last so much longer. Of course it costs you twice as much.

Used to be the Mopar ones were butt ugly with those orange plastic caps, which is why I got the Recons, and I got the clear for the chrome trim. At one time I was gonna order another set in smoke to change the caps (smoked come with black bases). But the clear kinda grew on me. Now I understand you can get the Mopar set with smoked caps, but the last guy I talked to who bought them said they still use regular bulbs...

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I was thinking about switching to LEDs but the regular bulbs are plenty bright for me

JDG103

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins H.O
but is it possible to buy the stecile from mopar or do you have to buy the whole kit...if anyone still has the stencile...please PM me..as for i would like to have it to use since i want to get the smoked recon ones

project_x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
but is it possible to buy the stecile from mopar or do you have to buy the whole kit...if anyone still has the stencile...please PM me..as for i would like to have it to use since i want to get the smoked recon ones

I'd be interested in a template if it moves thru the forum....

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum

This or does anyone have the part number to it?