Climate Control LED conversion, now no lights will go on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JunoAF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello all! First I wanted to say thank you for letting me join this form. I just recently picked up a nice 04 1500 SLT 5.7L quad cab and I have to say that so far, I LOVE this truck! I am getting around to fixing some very minor things i.e. Hoot struts, LED headlight and fog lights, ashtray + cup holder lubrication etc.

With that being said, I decided to swap out the 2/3 burnt out climate control light bulbs and install some LED's. I put them in pretty easy, turned on the truck after reconnecting electrical and......no lights. I double checked all connectors and it looks pretty solid ( I mean, it's pretty dang easy so I don't know how you can mess it up...) Pulled the LED lights in and out to make sure that they are contacting and I believe they are. I decided that maybe I got some bad lights so I put the old ones back in and..... no lights. wtf? I put everything back together because it's pretty cold out and I thought i'd re-attack it tomorrow but I wanted to ask you guys what your thoughts are? Bad lights? Is there a fuse that controls the climate control lights? I didn't see anything when I looked really quickly.

Last edited:

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some LEDs it matters which way you put them in. I did all the lights on my 05 Ram 1500. You need to take them out turn them 180 and put them back in. Hopefully it didn't short anything.

MY old truck:
om%2Falbums%2Fj391%2FJoshua_Mahr%2F20120426_221858.png

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I had a similar issue on my '01 Dakota a few years back. Most of the bulbs were burnt out and after finding out that the dealer wanted $5 each for them I ordered off of eBay. The bulbs that I got appeared to be good and tested good when hooked to a 12V source on the bench, but did not work on the truck. Careful checking revealed that the eBay bulbs were so poorly constructed that the contacts on them were not actually touching the contacts on the HVAC mechanism. After going through a couple of different sets with the same results I ended up going with OEM bulbs as I could not find a cheap set that worked.

As far as the fuse, I think they are on the same fuse as the rest of the dash lights.

-K

OP
OP
J

JunoAF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it again, I wonder if maybe I did just put them all in wrong so i'll rotate them around. I really hope I didn't fry the circuit board.... 12 dollar LED set might turn in to a 110+ dollar climate control replacement *sigh*

I LOVE how lit up yours look, Joshwaa! That's exactly how I want mine.

I'll double check all my fuses, I didn't notice any other lights out besides the climate control lights.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered all mine from superbrightleds.com. I will check later I might have some left.

OP
OP
J

JunoAF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
ha ha yeah...so....apparently i had them all rotated the wrong way. Even when I put the old bulbs back in, I put them in the wrong way... I did what you said Joshwaa, and rotated them 180 degrees and they worked. I was like "wtf...are you serious? 50/50 shot and I got all three LED's and all three OEM bulbs incorrect?"

Thanks man! Now they look great! Might replace the rest of the dash lights like you have them now.

Some LEDs it matters which way you put them in. I did all the lights on my 05 Ram 1500. You need to take them out turn them 180 and put them back in. Hopefully it didn't short anything.

om%2Falbums%2Fj391%2FJoshua_Mahr%2F20120426_221858.png

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad I could help. Post some pics when you done.