Close the recirculation vents w/o turning on the AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentry38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2022 Rebel and noticed that when the AC is off, the recirculation vent stays open, and when I press the recirculation vent button to close, the AC or the blower turns on. Is there a way to close the recirculation vents w/o the AC or blower turning on? Is this something a dealer can program? Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I believe the outdoor air door closes(system in recirculation) when the HVAC system is off.
If the fan isn't running, it doesn't really matter if the recirc door is opened or closed.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
What Crash68 wrote makes sense

Just below the windshield, on the passenger side, there are openings in the sheet metal, in the area of the windshield wiper motor.
On our Rams, the factory has stretched tape over those openings on the passenger side, it may be because too much AIR could enter the Recirculation Door opening, but then again, it could be that they don't want water to enter that Recirculation Door opening

1665187474807.png

1665187536483.png

The recirculation door can remain open, because any forced air would be blocked by the Cabin Air Filter.
The HVAC Fan is below the CAF & air has to be drawn through the CAF to get to any Vent

OP
OP
G

Gentry38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe the outdoor air door closes(system in recirculation) when the HVAC system is off.
If the fan isn't running, it doesn't really matter if the recirc door is opened or closed.
Mine stays open when HVAC is off. With my other cars, I can close the recirculation vents even when the HVAC is off. Just today, it was a nice 60 degrees, and I don't need the AC or blower on. I was following a trailer hauling livestock, and I could smell it from the cabin because the recirculation vents were open, and when I pressed the recirculation button to close it, the HVAC turned on. I don't know if this is a RAM thing.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you have a Cattle Ranch out that way or live out near the Dump

You could remove both your Lower & Upper Glove Compartments,
( watch out for the elastic cord, that holds the right side of the glove compartment, it can be tricky )

There may be a screw in the top of the Lower compartment, it would hold the upper compartment in place.

With the upper compartment removed, you can plainly see the how the Recirculation Door works.
The Actuator, which is an electric powered device that opens & closes the Door, will be on the left of the door & surrounding box.

You may be able to figure out how it works and or jury rig something.

OP
OP
G

Gentry38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a Cattle Ranch out that way or live out near the Dump

You could remove both your Lower & Upper Glove Compartments,
( watch out for the elastic cord, that holds the right side of the glove compartment, it can be tricky )

There may be a screw in the top of the Lower compartment, it would hold the upper compartment in place.

With the upper compartment removed, you can plainly see the how the Recirculation Door works.
The Actuator, which is an electric powered device that opens & closes the Door, will be on the left of the door & surrounding box.

You may be able to figure out how it works and or jury rig something.
Thanks for the feedback

OP
OP
G

Gentry38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What Crash68 wrote makes sense

Just below the windshield, on the passenger side, there are openings in the sheet metal, in the area of the windshield wiper motor.
On our Rams, the factory has stretched tape over those openings on the passenger side, it may be because too much AIR could enter the Recirculation Door opening, but then again, it could be that they don't want water to enter that Recirculation Door opening

View attachment 503824

View attachment 503825

The recirculation door can remain open, because any forced air would be blocked by the Cabin Air Filter.
The HVAC Fan is below the CAF & air has to be drawn through the CAF to get to any Vent
Thanks for the feedback

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I had a GM that did the same thing. I recall the mechanical justification for this was to exercise the system. There is oil in the fluid which needs to circulate when in the winter months to keep the system healthy, seals lubricated etc. I recommend leaving it alone. Sometimes they are designed that way for a reason.