clunking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So when i would pull into the driveway i would always hear a clunking noise from the back of my truck.. I had my fishing gear back there for awhile so i figured it was that bouncing around. Now that my bed is empty, i still hear it. Its only go over bumps when i pull into driveways and such is when i have noticed it..It pretty much sounds like a constant clunking until the truck isnt on any bumps.. almost like something is back in the bed rolling or bouncing around, just kinda nervous and hope its nothing to bad.. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any replies.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Do you have anything in the receiver hitch? They have been known to "clunk" while going down the road or over bumps.

If you do... take it out and ride around for a while to see if that does the trick.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
DO you have your spare tire in the bed or is it still under the truck? If it is under the truck it may have come loose a bit. Raise it back up if it is and the clunking should go away. If your spare is in the bed then the hanger for the spare may be swinging and hitting something.

One other thing to look at. Check your universal joints for excess play. They are also another source of clunking especially when they start to go out. If it has been getting progressively worse since you noticed it I can almost bet that is the problem.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks! def will be checking that out tomorrow!

4X HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The 2003's are also known for having a pin in the rear end that shears off and puts the carrier at an angle which you could get that noise from.

Had that happen to mine and it was a clunking noise coming from the back. Mine was still under warranty when it happened and was covered. Although the Service Manager told me that Chrysler was aware of this problem but was not doing a recall on them. His words were "Daimler probably hopes this goes out after warranty so you have to pay for it"!
There was a service bulletin out about this problem though.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2003's are also known for having a pin in the rear end that shears off and puts the carrier at an angle which you could get that noise from.

Had that happen to mine and it was a clunking noise coming from the back. Mine was still under warranty when it happened and was covered. Although the Service Manager told me that Chrysler was aware of this problem but was not doing a recall on them. His words were "Daimler probably hopes this goes out after warranty so you have to pay for it"!

Is it a big problem? and is it expensive? i can not afford another fix on my ram right now... Its my daily driver too so i am not sure if that would make anything worse

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel

Have not heard of a rearend associate "Pin" problem before. Can you be more specific? Within the differential itself there is only the cross pin and it has never been a problem that I am aware of.