Clunking sound at 20+ MPH !! :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rcharlieo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey there I'm new to the RAM world and this forum so go easy lol.

I've got a 03 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 4.7L V8 engine and I've only had it for two weeks. During that time this clunking noise has shown up 3 times completely randomly and I have no idea whats wrong. it's throwing codes for a misfire in bank 5, O2 heater sensor, and O2 sensor, but to my knowledge NONE of these codes should be causing this problem.

I'll start it up, no problem. Put it in drive (4L, 2H, 4H has no problems going into gear) and pull away, no problem. Then I hit about 20+ MPH and there is a very solid "clunk clunk clunk clunk" Almost sounds like it's coming from the power steering, or front axles where they connect to the 4x4. Shifting in and out of gear does not fix it. Turning it off and on, in and out of gears does not fix it. It only goes away when it wants to go away. (That being I turned it off, restarted it and magically it started working.... for a couple days)

It happened this morning on the ride to work and I was forced to drive it while clunking. As im pulling into my parking lot the engine died when the revs got low. started it back up, pulled forward 10 feet and it died again. Finally it's sitting in it's space but im afraid it won't be able to drive home.

If anyone has any hints, leads, or anything at all I would be extremely grateful.

Edit:: It makes this "clunk" regardless of gear. Tried it in 1st, in 4L, 2H 4H - same clunk. 2nd- 4L, 2H, 4H same clunk. (D) - 4L, 2H, 4H same clunk. To me, that rules out transmission. Maybe the 4x4 transfer box is trying to force it in or out of gear?? .... I know RAMS have power steering leak issues, but it makes no sense that a power steering issue would act up at 20+MPH unless maybe the issue lies within the PSI within the power steering. (As the engine turns it pumps up PS fluid and the pressure is too much???? ) I don't know. I'm an old school motorcycle mechanic, not a bells and whistles power steering and complicated automatic transmission mechanic. :/

OP
OP
R

Rcharlieo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Found it was the front passenger side axle boot for the 4x4. Somehow it slipped out and was hanging crooked instead of sitting flush.