"Clunking" sound over speed bumps..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B1G R3D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It used to happened just driving around till i got under and looked and discovered the left rear shock was bad. After i replaced front and rear shocks/struts (turns out all 4 were bad) that sound went away but when i go over speed bumps i still get a pretty loud "clunking" that sounds like its coming from somewhere in the middle of the truck or back. Ive been under and everything looks/feels tight. Like I said only happens over speed bumps. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
You checked out your driveshaft u-joints already?

I am having a similar issue... and this is what I found in my rear differential:
IMAG0615_zpseugplv2a.jpg
IMAG0613_zpsljg93z9r.jpg
IMAG0618_zps44rt8zys.jpg

Hopefully this isn't your issue because I am looking at big bucks potentially, but checking it out wouldn't hurt.

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a level kit on it? Ive heard of one guy that was getting a cluck noise and it was his strut extension hitting the level unit.

OP
OP
B1G R3D

B1G R3D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have the pro comp 6" lift. Its been on there awhile. The noise started in the last couple weeks. I'll check out my u-joints.

DougM55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear a similar noise from my hitch if I leave it in the receiver. Bugs me but not enough to run without the hitch.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I won't mention this every time I see a thread like this, but it sounds like this...

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was gonna bet U joints as well.

Although you said a lift, so maybe some component regarding that. Its harder on ball joints, tie rods and all. Could be any of those, or all of those.

OP
OP
B1G R3D

B1G R3D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i finally got annoyed enough/slowed down long enough to look into it more. I had a buddy come over and jump up and down in the back of the truck while i was under it. Turns out two of the bushings in the rear control arms were seized and were making the popping noise when they flexed over bumps. Got them out and greased the bolts up. Good as new. :word:

--Keith

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca