Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97APars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there,
I have a 2017 ram 1500 with a 2” level kit. I have had a rattle for awhile now and figured it was my cv axles and differential shafts because of the play. I had those replaced and the rattle is still there. I have new struts, upper control arms, and new sway bar links. Anyone have an idea what this sound could be coming from? Any help is appreciated.
CF5FEA42-1FC7-4FCC-9A35-AA557C99D3C7.jpeg(Clicking noise over bumps)

Last edited:

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Rattle when you go over bumps would have me thinking it is suspension or if you are getting death wobble then steering. What makes you think its CVs? What do you mean by "play"?

OP
OP

97APars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rattle when you go over bumps would have me thinking it is suspension or if you are getting death wobble then steering. What makes you think its CVs? What do you mean by "play"?
I have about an 1/8” play vertically on my cvs up and down. Around 70 mph I do have vibration. But it is only around 70mph, it goes away past 70mph and before 70.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Exhaust heat shield ?

A heat shield you could hear but you likely wouldn't feel when driving. Mine came loose and it sounded like my entire exhaust was laying on the ground but I never FELT anything. A misaligned or out of balance CV, you would absolutely feel so you should get two very different sets of symptoms from one to the other.

Does the CV wiggle up and down in the wheel bearing or is it where it goes into the diff? And even though you have found that being loose, I would still get under it again and check driveshaft, tie rod, ball joints, etc just incase its not the CV.

OP
OP

97APars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A heat shield you could hear but you likely wouldn't feel when driving. Mine came loose and it sounded like my entire exhaust was laying on the ground but I never FELT anything. A misaligned or out of balance CV, you would absolutely feel so you should get two very different sets of symptoms from one to the other.

Does the CV wiggle up and down in the wheel bearing or is it where it goes into the diff? And even though you have found that being loose, I would still get under it again and check driveshaft, tie rod, ball joints, etc just incase its not the CV.

I feel the wiggle going into the diff. When I get out of work I’m gonna head back under and start shaking everything haha. Were you able to view the driving video to hear the sound?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi there,
I have a 2017 ram 1500 with a 2” level kit. I have had a rattle for awhile now and figured it was my cv axles and differential shafts because of the play. I had those replaced and the rattle is still there. I have new struts, upper control arms, and new sway bar links. Anyone have an idea what this sound could be coming from? Any help is appreciated.
View attachment 528214(Clicking noise over bumps)
Check you're brake calipers and mounting brackets over close.Guys have reported losing a caliper bolt.

OP
OP

97APars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check you're brake calipers and mounting brackets over close.Guys have reported losing a caliper bolt.
Ahh yes. I’ve learned about that. The slide pins get loose. I’ll come back tomorrow and let you know if I find anything

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Based on your picture, your anti-sway end-link bushings don't *seem* very tight. It's hard to say from the pic, just a hunch. Looks like they're urethane so hard to say. Give them another look. Generally they'd be bowing outward after tightening down. If they're not tight enough it's possible they could knock when you hit certain bumps. Just a thought .... worth a look.

Good luck

OP
OP

97APars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Based on your picture, your anti-sway end-link bushings don't *seem* very tight. It's hard to say from the pic, just a hunch. Looks like they're urethane so hard to say. Give them another look. Generally they'd be bowing outward after tightening down. If they're not tight enough it's possible they could knock when you hit certain bumps. Just a thought .... worth a look.

Good luck
That’s a good eye. However, the rattle occurred before and after the new sway bar links so I can cross that one off my suspect list. Thank you for the attempt

raff18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019c
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I have the very same issue. I finally found mine. Break pads. Yup the break pads. Let me guess u did a break job not to long ago…… I have found that the pads no a days are made a bit to small for the mounts. I just x2 on the anti rattle clips and that got rid of it for me. Hope this helps

OP
OP

97APars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have the very same issue. I finally found mine. Break pads. Yup the break pads. Let me guess u did a break job not to long ago…… I have found that the pads no a days are made a bit to small for the mounts. I just x2 on the anti rattle clips and that got rid of it for me. Hope this helps
I haven’t done them yet in my truck but I’ll definitely look into that! Thank you

OP
OP

97APars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE: I took apart my drivers side and passenger side calipers and rotors. Did some sanding and greasing everywhere needed. I adjusted the rattle clips and put everything back together. No more noise! I almost don’t believe it

AK907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Had the same issue. I replaced the front suspension sway bar bushings and it appears to have eliminated the noise so far. Good luck……

4X4BOSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look for that 10mm socket the Factory Guy dropped during the build.
Sry had too !
Hope you figure it out.
Let us know