code reader for Dodge Ram air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do any members know of a Coder reader for Dodge Ram air suspension system?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think there's one specifically for the air suspension. If the check engine light is on then most code readers will be able to retrieve the code. A quality scan tool will be able to give you more data. What exactly is the problem you're having?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Get yourself AlfaOBD, you can check codes for more than the AP codes which is all most readers do. You can also test function of the air suspension along with other systems on the vehicle.
Best to use the the OBDLink MX or MX+ Bluetooth reader and an android phone or tablet.
If the truck is '18 or newer you'll also need a security gateway module bypass.

OP
OP
N

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My suspension is freezing up. My truck is 8 years old, the last time I had it purged was 2018. Purging it removes the water and you are good to go again. It is time to do it again, I would like to do it myself as the service rate is $135.00 an hour now. I talked to the teck who did it last time and he told me it is a complicated system and you will probably need the scan tool and follow the procedure. When he was doing that he purged it 3 time to be sure all the water was out. Any air conditioning tools will work, my friend has all the tools, we just need the procedure. The teck had the procedure from an email, however he is no longer working, he had a bad heart attack so he deleted all the emails he had.

OP
OP
N

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get yourself AlfaOBD, you can check codes for more than the AP codes which is all most readers do. You can also test function of the air suspension along with other systems on the vehicle.
Best to use the the OBDLink MX or MX+ Bluetooth reader and an android phone or tablet.
If the truck is '18 or newer you'll also need a security gateway module bypass.
Is the

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows the right one, I goggled AlfaOBD and there were many that turned up?​

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes that link is the correct one.
Somewhere on this forum someone did a write up on adding an air system drier (desiccant) to the air suspension system.
I think there's either a purge or refill routine in AlfaOBD that could prove to be helpful while evacuating the air system. If your friend with the refrigeration tools knows how to triple evacuate a system, you can do the same to the air system but just using nitrogen.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm shocked to read that Ram does not include an inline air drier ( or auto air tank purge valve) for air suspension systems, no wonder so many people problems in colder weather... IMHO only an idiot would install air anything without an inline air drier or air tank without an auto purge valve...

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
For AlfaOBD. Go here. https://www.alfaobd.com/

If you search youtube, there are some good video's that show exact what to do and what you need.
I had link to one but lost it. There is one that is very good and does step by step.

OP
OP
N

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I searched YouTube but did not find any procedure, I will try again, thanks.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm shocked to read that Ram does not include an inline air drier ( or auto air tank purge valve) for air suspension systems, no wonder so many people problems in colder weather... IMHO only an idiot would install air anything without an inline air drier or air tank without an auto purge valve...
Well, technically……..the rear/four-corner air suspension is supposed to be a sealed system that uses nitrogen but, they made the system to where it can purge some of that nitrogen and supposedly draw in small amounts of outside air as well.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well, technically……..the rear/four-corner air suspension is supposed to be a sealed system that uses nitrogen but, they made the system to where it can purge some of that nitrogen and supposedly draw in small amounts of outside air as well.
Even in a closed system you will collect condensation from temp changes...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even in a closed system you will collect condensation from temp changes...
Egh, I beg to differ. I believe that’s why it’s a closed system- well, supposed to be, anyways, with nitrogen. It’s purely a design flaw in my opinion making it to where it can purge the nitrogen out for whatever reason and pull in air from the outside. That’s where the condensation comes from because if it truly was a closed system, there’d be no moisture to get in there to begin with.

Articlonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The alphaobd software does not come with the OBD2 scanner. It would be an app in your phone store that costs about $50. Well worth it if you plan on doing anything to your vehicle