Codes p0172 and p0131

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
So i have a 03 ram 1500 with 2 codep0172 and p0131 truck is running stupid rich. I was having trouble with a p2097 code that was coming on is no longer there. I bought the truck used and have had nothing but issues out of it. The truck does run good and was idleing okay about 550 650 rpms after i replaced the iat and mao sensor. I had to also replace all vacuum hoses under the hood due to the age and them starting to crack when u touched one also had to repair the map sensor harness because precious owner installed a cai and was installed incorrectly and rubber thru one the wires and really brittle. I pulled the bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor and bank 2 sensor 2. Bank 1 sensor was complete black on the end im taking it from to much fuel and sensor 2 a little bit of white on the end. It does have 2 exhaust manifold leaks due to broke studs which i am un able to repair at the time because of my budget. Also previous owner cut of muffler and resonator tail is cut off right behind the cab. Iam thinking that my promble now lies with a bad 02 sensor but i do not have a scan tool to be able to look at live data seeing mine and most of my tools were stolen when i was moving so kinda flying alittle blind. If anyone has had this issues or help lead me in the right direction any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like 02 sensor . Check the wire harness to it also.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Thats what iam leaning towards now i was thinking about switching bank1 and bank2 and seeing if the code switches sides. But the 02 sensors i think were about 50 bucks a piece at orielly a denso which is not that bad. Im going to have to wait until thursday to be able to put them tho. I will let u know how that ends out coming. Thanks for the reply makes me feel alittle better about replacing the 02. Amd none of them were even very tight i was able to pop all the 02 sensors out with just pair of vice grips and didnt strain one bit.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
NTK is original equipment manufacturer’s . I would try to stick with them. Some have said Bosch and other were problematic.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
So i have a 03 ram 1500 with 2 codep0172 and p0131 truck is running stupid rich. I was having trouble with a p2097 code that was coming on is no longer there. I bought the truck used and have had nothing but issues out of it. The truck does run good and was idleing okay about 550 650 rpms after i replaced the iat and mao sensor. I had to also replace all vacuum hoses under the hood due to the age and them starting to crack when u touched one also had to repair the map sensor harness because precious owner installed a cai and was installed incorrectly and rubber thru one the wires and really brittle. I pulled the bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor and bank 2 sensor 2. Bank 1 sensor was complete black on the end im taking it from to much fuel and sensor 2 a little bit of white on the end. It does have 2 exhaust manifold leaks due to broke studs which i am un able to repair at the time because of my budget. Also previous owner cut of muffler and resonator tail is cut off right behind the cab. Iam thinking that my promble now lies with a bad 02 sensor but i do not have a scan tool to be able to look at live data seeing mine and most of my tools were stolen when i was moving so kinda flying alittle blind. If anyone has had this issues or help lead me in the right direction any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
is it the driver side friend had hard to work on need to replace gasket and all bolts ! utube helps on bolts removing but I do a shop do it ! did a y pipe on mine right away so no problems so far ! ya my own theory of cause cute off pipe welded on to haft way so air blockage ! old racer thinking onto other pipe ! and flow master on it ! heat kills a motors in any ways !

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Okay i was going to put a denso in it i will check on the ntk. Ya i know the gaskets and manifolds need to be replaced and all the bolts it has one broke off flush with the head on driver side and 2 broke on passanger side side one broke flush with manifold other flush with the head. I acutally found a shop that said they would do it for about 500 parts and labor. Said they did one the other week for like 470 parts and labor. I was upfront with them to. I just dont see the leak cause this problem but i could be wrong. I will try replacing 02 sensors first there not hard to get to. And if i do the exhaust im thinking about just a inexpensive set of headers on it a flowmaster exhaust. Jist dont know the truck has 250k on it but still runs stong just need this danm light to go off at everything will be good cant afford to keep putting gas in it. And really cant afford to put cats on it either

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Okay so I was able to finally give me an O2 sensor for it yesterday I was going to go in ntk but oreillys had to order theirs from California the dealer wanted $130 for theirs and I had to order it as well nobody had it in stock so I just went ahead and put a Denso sensor in it and that's what I pulled out of there. So after going with a Denso and getting it from oreillys can I get a little bit of a discount cuz of the company I work for has an account there they got me the wrong one and I put it in clear codes it had heater code pop up 7 miles down the road never heard that one before so I knew something was wrong with the sensor so I did my own little research on it and found out it was the wrong one so I called him back and had him order to other denso's that they didn't have in stock that out I did my research on and I found out which one was the right one after having a cut the connector of the old one and reuse it on the new one it seems to be running better and it idles better right at about 600 were before ot was up and down between 500 and 600 just didnt sound right at idle but so far and no check engine light so hopefully it stays off I'm praying so after everything I've been through with all the vacuum leaks and the sensors and the wiring I think I finally may have got it with an O2 sensor I've been about 50 or 60 miles on it so far and no check engine light so hopefully it stays off I'm praying but i will know soon enough and I did some research on the Bosch sensor as well they say the boss sensor is done at well with the Dodges because of the heater element in it it doesn't heat up as fast as the ntk and denso. now I can start to save some money up so I can get the driver side manifold and passenger side exhaust manifold is done bolts and studs manifolds and gaskets I found a shop that quoted me $500 for both sides parts and labor both same kind of cheap to me but they seem like a reputable shop I hear a lot of good things about them

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Next time look on rockauto.com . That’s where I got mine for around $50.00 a piece using the discount code on this site since they are a vendor here. Glad to hear all is good.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Well turns out all is not good check engine light just came back on with a p2097 same thing as before what I've been fighting so I'mma go get on the website for RockAuto and see about getting mean in 2K sensor and see if I can return this one back to oreillys but I'm going to move it to bank 2 side and see if it was switches over sides to kind of reassure myself that is the O2 sensor. I'm almost positive it has nothing to do with the exhaust leak because it's worse on the passenger side than the driver side I just don't know what else to do cuz I put the wrong O2 sensor in it but I did my research on it and that was one for this vehicle I don't know I pulled the number one cylinder plug out earlier and it was completely white at the end here's a picture of it for you guys if you got any more advice or tips or something to check let me know cuz I really don't feel like having to pay somebody to diagnose it in the shop but it looks like it may end up having to go to the shop which I cannot afford and I like to be able to figure it out on my own no but I went probably 150 hundred eighty miles almost 20 miles for that light came back on which is what it does every time runs good right now if you sit there listen to it Idol it's got a little bit of a pop sound to it you got to listen very closely to it to catch it and then I will stumble for a second and I'll catch yourself again but it's a real light you got to be paying attention let me know what you guys think I already did cleaned the throttle body I already clean the idle air control valve as well maybe it's time for a new one of those I'm just tired of throwing Parts at it I never did like doing thatI also included a picture of the O2 sensor that I took off of there the one that came out of their head less holes in it than the one that I put in there so maybe I ordered the wrong one but I checked and it was the one for my vehicle I really feel like just giving up on it but I can't do that 20191227_110552.jpg

20191227_215120.jpg

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I also found out the reason Dodge does not like the Bosch O2 sensors is because Bosch heater element does not heat up as fast as the ntk sensor

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The pcm is detecting a rich condition in the downstream o2 sensor and probably leaning the fuel trim out this is why the plug is white. Exhaust leaks can cause the issue also. What engine do you have?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
It is 4.7l. Ya i knew it was detecing a rich condition and amd i just went and relooked the the meaning of the code up again not seeing that you had gave it to me and I realized it said post cat so I'm feeling pretty stupid right about now cuz I went ahead and replace the Upstream pre cat and not Downstream post cat on bank 1 something pretty dumb right about now should be replacing the downstream one not the Upstream one how I got myself confused like that because I know the difference between bank 1 sensor 1 Sensor 2 bank 2 sensor 1 Sensor 2 I worked in a in the dealership for Ford for a little while the fords are little different than dodges though play I'm feeling pretty freaking stupid right about now so I guess I'm going to have to go buy me another O2 sensor replace a downstream one now

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Or maybe what I'll do before I go spend any more money that I don't have right now cuz I've been off for about a week because the holidays I'll just take the sensor 1 and I'll remove center to and puts into one in its place and see what happens just for giggles cuz all four of the sensors are the same on this truck

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
143D0815-F473-41D7-AED7-63E30755203C.png

rockauto is the way to go if you have to order one. You could replace all of them for what oriellys wanted to charge you for 1.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Okay i I really appreciate that I'm going to switch sensor to from bank 1 and bank 2 see if it moves over and then if I have to order mom is going to replace the other three with actual ntk is cuz that's pretty cheap I think I paid like $50 50 something dollars for a Bosch sensor and the dealer wanted $131 for their for the ntk.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I know I'm going to end up having to replace that one I just know it should I go with the federal emissions or California emissions one what do you think I don't live in California something in the Federal but what's your opinion I guess what would be the difference in time to if you know if not I can look it up

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
9A5D8B72-203C-45D4-BD37-AD7BE1733331.png

Don’t forget to use the code to save a little bit of money!

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Awesome man thank you I really appreciate that you already saved me a bunch of money by telling me to go there cuz I never really ordered stuff off of RockAuto or any places like that always just go to my local auto parts or the dealer but they're a hell of a lot cheaper over half the price cheaper I will definitely be using that

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No problem. I order all my stuff from them. You pretty much save at least 50% with them if not more.