Cold Air Intake recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barry Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need recommendation for CAI for 2015 1500 Hemi. Looking at K&N Blackhawk too

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Need recommendation for CAI for 2015 1500 Hemi. Looking at K&N Blackhawk too
Your OEM system is a true cold air intake
Most so called CAI should print the truth on the box
" Contains one performance reducing hot air intake"

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As you've probably seen the CAI thing has been beat pretty much to death - your options are kinda like this:

• The OE intake already does draw actual cold air from outside of the engine compartment and is pretty good. I don't think Ram really left much on the table there.
  • Several people have demonstrated measurable power from Vararam - not a ton, but I think it's fairly conclusive that it does make power so if power is your objective that's kinda the best show in town.
  • The Mopar "performance" airbox is pricey and may or may not actually improve performance but the people who have got it have posted that the fit and build quality is very good, plus if you have the "nostrils" on your hood you can make that into an active intake. Probably your best bet if you want pure coolness factor.
  • Supposedly the "powercore" filter available in Volant CAI's offers better actual dust filtration without increasing restriction. I don't know if anyone's tested that, but it does look like it has an immense amount of surface area and the same filter type (Donaldson) is used extensively in mining equipment so there's some credibility there. Probably your best option if you want better filtration without sacrificing even the tiniest bit of performance.
  • If you just want the look and sound of an aftermarket CAI, it's your truck and there's nothing wrong with dialing it in the way you like it. Any random air intake you buy other than mentioned here is almost definitely going to give you worse performance or - at best - no change at all, but exposed cone filters do allow a bit more induction noise and that kinda sounds cool if you're into engine sounds.
  • The cheapskate "upgrade" that may or may not actually change anything - you can put the lower airbox and fender elbow thing from a diesel on your 5.7, totally looks stock but the elbow's a good 30% larger and the lower box is more open/voluminous, and I think the filter is deeper (same width and height but deeper pleats) and so may flow more air. There's also a hack some people do with connecting a hose to the bottom of the airbox down to the bumper which presumably grabs air right off the front of the truck and may help some fractional amount.
Hope that helps you toward your goal :)

Last edited:

TripleM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As you've probably seen the CAI thing has been beat pretty much to death - your options are kinda like this:

• The OE intake already does draw actual cold air from outside of the engine compartment and is pretty good. I don't think Ram really left much on the table there.
  • Several people have demonstrated measurable power from Vararam - not a ton, but I think it's fairly conclusive that it does make power so if power is your objective that's kinda the best show in town.
  • The Mopar "performance" airbox is pricey and may or may not actually improve performance but the people who have got it have posted that the fit and build quality is very good, plus if you have the "nostrils" on your hood you can make that into an active intake. Probably your best bet if you want pure coolness factor.
  • Supposedly the "powercore" filter available in Volant CAI's offers better actual dust filtration without increasing restriction. I don't know if anyone's tested that, but it does look like it has an immense amount of surface area and the same filter type (Donaldson) is used extensively in mining equipment so there's some credibility there. Probably your best option if you want better filtration without sacrificing even the tiniest bit of performance.
  • If you just want the look and sound of an aftermarket CAI, it's your truck and there's nothing wrong with dialing it in the way you like it. Any random air intake you buy other than mentioned here is almost definitely going to give you worse performance or - at best - no change at all, but exposed cone filters do allow a bit more induction noise and that kinda sounds cool if you're into engine sounds.
  • The cheapskate "upgrade" that may or may not actually change anything - you can put the lower airbox and fender elbow thing from a diesel on your 5.7, totally looks stock but the elbow's a good 30% larger and the lower box is more open/voluminous, and I think the filter is deeper (same width and height but deeper pleats) and so may flow more air. There's also a hack some people do with connecting a hose to the bottom of the airbox down to the bumper which presumably grabs air right off the front of the truck and may help some fractional amount.
Hope that helps you toward your goal :)

100% true i got the mopar performace it fits nicely and it feels like a quality product but not change in performance or response and no induction noise at all

OP
OP
Barry Phillips

Barry Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the help guys! I was also looking at a Hypertech React. Any reviews on that!?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I would like to build my own. I went with the S&B with no complaints here, no real difference, just a slight change in sound.

Which model S&B? The early 4th Gen box with the lower suction opening will outflow anything outside of a track intake or the vararam.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Save your money for real upgrades.
Make your own CAI....elbow and tubing behind bumper.

It feels better to accomplish something yourself than it does showing off your new purchased truck jewelry.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck jewelry is nice looking though lol, especially with other nice looking jewelry. That is a good idea though, just make your own or use the drop in K&N filter with the OE air setup as I did for about 4 years until S&B.

JRI2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I strongly feel most CAIs are a waste of money, and most actually hurt performance by throwing off the tune. I know that some look cool, and some sound cool. But the OEM induction is pretty much dialed in, and maxed out. A waste of money, I repeat, and sometimes big money. CAIs gained popularity back in the day when air induction was a disaster. Factory induction systems have come a long was since then.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CAIs gained popularity back in the day when air induction was a disaster. Factory induction systems have come a long was since then.

The kinda funny elephant in the room on this is when you look at how much money gets put into air induction already, like VVT and variable intake runners.. that'd be like building a 35' wide airplane inside a hangar with a 30' wide door, if the engineers at Ram are really that dumb do we want to trust them with brakes and airbags? :D

It makes sense that the Vararam builds power because it also comes with fresh compromises - like I'm sure it increases engine noise which some people like more than others - and I'm sure it's less tolerant to rough service environments like oilfield work, places with packrats, owners who are just simply not gearheads and don't want to deal with removing leaves and debris from the tray etc. so there's a clear line of reasoning why that kind of intake didn't come from the factory.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you forget all the advertising BS you hear and read, I think the only CAI that has proven itself on the race track to increase performance is the Vararam. The only other CAI that is better and gives better performance than the Vararam is the custom track intake custom built by Moe's Performance. This is documented by real numbers by guys that race constantly. There is a huge difference in printing claims on a box or package and actual race track results.
Jay

JimmyA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The above picture showing the Vararam induction probably draws more air than OEM resulting in ECM adding more fuel, equals a little more HP plus decreased fuel Economy! Over time, you will spend more for fuel than any savings advertised for the CAI. Yeah it looks better, are you going to drive around with the hood up? LOL