Cold Air Intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tfaught50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking for a CAI for my 5.7 was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or what to stay away from?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You want to stay away from any intake with an open element filter or with a metal intake tube as this will retain heat. If you want the absolute best performance, then the Vararam kit is the way to go. This kit is not for everyone though as it pulls air from the front bumper and is not recommended for anyone that off roads their truck.

If you prefer a more traditional style intake, then the S&B is very tough to beat. It has an enclosed airbox and smooth plastic intake tube. It is also on the cheaper end of the price range at only $299.

OP
OP
T

tfaught50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live down a dirt road so the Vararam isn't an option for me

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I agree. Take a look at the S&B. The enclosed airbox will help protect your filter, and they even make a filter wrap as well. I am not a fan of the filter wrap myself from a performance standpoint, but it does work very well at keeping the filter clean.

OP
OP
T

tfaught50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really like the look of the S&B, and it seems like a good product, but I've heard they're quieter than most CAI's? I want one thats going to sound good as well as perform good..

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
They are quieter than an open element filter would be, but perform much better as well. You can always leave the lid off the top of the S&B if you want the added noise...I care more about performance myself though. I ran 8 different intake setups on my 03 Hemi, and the open element filters were usually only good for about 5-8hp and less than .1 in the 1/4 mile. I ended up having to extending the tubing under the bumper or to the foglight holes to get the performance gains I was looking for. If you strictly want sound, I would just make your own intake out of some PVC pipe and just put a cone filter on the end. The K&N style intakes just aren't worth the money for their minimal performance gains.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like the look of the S&B, and it seems like a good product, but I've heard they're quieter than most CAI's? I want one thats going to sound good as well as perform good..

My S&B sounds like I have a Lion sitting in my engine bay at WOT. The poor little fords try to run away but they have been unsuccessful so far.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
My S&B sounds like I have a Lion sitting in my engine bay at WOT. The poor little fords try to run away but they have been unsuccessful so far.

Dang I never even see any Fords, of course they hear me well before they see me so they go into hiding.