Column Shifter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnyboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have recently begun to notice a very loud clicking sound when pulling the column shifter out of the locked park position (See attached video)

It started with an issue when I went to put the truck in park, It read Reverse on the display, would physically go into park while only reading reverse. And in order to remove the key or turn on truck I had to pull very hard on the shifter column to get it into neutral to remove key/start truck etc.

That problem seemed to correct itself, however I then noticed the sound the shifter made while moving it while still in park. It doesn't make this sound when in any other gear. And it is very loud.

I took it to the dealership and they said that the sound is normal. I was hoping to get some other oppinions. Have a look and listen and tell me what you figure.

I have a weird feeling that I am being lied to by the dealership, perhaps to avoid installing the warrantied part. As I had the exact same part reinstalled less than 2 years ago due to complete failure.

The truck is a 2014 ram 1500 5.7. Any input would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I have recently begun to notice a very loud clicking sound when pulling the column shifter out of the locked park position (See attached video)

It started with an issue when I went to put the truck in park, It read Reverse on the display, would physically go into park while only reading reverse. And in order to remove the key or turn on truck I had to pull very hard on the shifter column to get it into neutral to remove key/start truck etc.

That problem seemed to correct itself, however I then noticed the sound the shifter made while moving it while still in park. It doesn't make this sound when in any other gear. And it is very loud.

I took it to the dealership and they said that the sound is normal. I was hoping to get some other oppinions. Have a look and listen and tell me what you figure.

I have a weird feeling that I am being lied to by the dealership, perhaps to avoid installing the warrantied pard. As I had the exact same part reinstalled less than 2 years ago due to complete failure.

The truck is a 2014 ram 1500 5.7. Any input would be much appreciated.

That clicking sound is your BTSI (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock) module.

It’s normal for it to make that sound in park, as if it didn’t, the vehicle would be able to go into any other gear without needing a key and roll off and into traffic.

My truck makes the same noise, and i can post up a video if you want me to of it making the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Donnyboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it's no problem I would like for you to do that.

Maybe it's just me paying more attention to it. Just seems very loud to me now.

Thanks for the response.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2013 has the console shifter but when you move it to the right like you're putting it in reverse, it makes that sound as well. Dont think its quite that loud but that might be the difference between the column vs console shifters....

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
If it's no problem I would like for you to do that.

Maybe it's just me paying more attention to it. Just seems very loud to me now.

Thanks for the response.

I’ll do it and post it up in a few then.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

This is what it sounds like on my 2013 Bighorn, same trans but i have the 4.7.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Oh wow that is quite loud. I can't believe I went this long without noticing.
Thanks for the vid that puts my mind to rest alot.

You’re not the only one, i’ve seen a few people who don’t notice it until one day they do. I was one of them, lol. You’re welcome.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This video is lousy because it as filmed with a damn smart phone & the guy just rambles on

beginning at about the 6 minute mark, the guy gets more into the meat of his issue.
Notice the pin on the part he holds, there is a pin that is has been known to come loose, that may be your issue with the noise

If you want to look at yours, you may want to watch a video made by MotorCity Mechanic, i believe he shows how to replace the Multifunction Switch on a Ram, during the process, he takes the steering column cover off, then you can see & inspect the parts

Last edited: