Compromised Gas Mileage with Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonChiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I just started my account today so this may have already been discussed.

I just installed my lift and 35's this weekend. I was getting 16-17 MPG stock and just in a few days I am only getting 13. I knew my MPG would go down. Is there any upgrades I can to to possibly get my MPG back up?

Thanks!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Heavier rotating weight (tires/wheels) and less aerodynamics due to lift will hurt mileage. That said, did you re-calibrate your speedometer for the larger tires? If not you are not getting accurate readings now. My step-son has a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 he just put slightly larger tires on and heavier wheels. He has not re-calibrated his speedo but said he has lost 2 MPG. His new tires are about 1" wider and about 1" taller. He started out stock at about 18-19 and after the leveling kit and tires and wheels he is at about 13

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is there any upgrades I can to to possibly get my MPG back up?

Thanks!

The short answer is no.

Yes you can dump all sorts of money at it with mods and maybe gain a tiny bit back but nothing worth the investment. The best improvement would probably be re-gearing the axles but again, that's a lot of money, throwing away part of you warranty most likely and not really gaining a whole lot. It will never get back to what it was in stock form.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Recalibrate the speedo and your expectations, drive conservatively, and enjoy what you have... that's about it realistically. Re-gearing for mileage is buying the airplane for the peanuts; if you needed towing power or something else, then I'd say go for gears. If you had 33's, you're off by about 9 percent on the speedo or almost 4 mph at 65 mph.

OP
OP
HoustonChiver

HoustonChiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank y'all for the input. I was just curious. This is my first lifted truck. Where do I get my speedo calibrated?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Daughter bought a SuperChips that only did the speedo calibration and trans shift schedule when she did her Jeep. I think it was about $150-200 for that

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hey guys, I just started my account today so this may have already been discussed.

I just installed my lift and 35's this weekend. I was getting 16-17 MPG stock and just in a few days I am only getting 13. I knew my MPG would go down. Is there any upgrades I can to to possibly get my MPG back up?

Thanks!

Get yourself an S&B intake part #75-5124 @Nick@GotExhaust can set you up to regain some MPG's He can also get you a speedometer calibration tool with an added perk of forum member discount

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
#1 Get something to calibrate your speedo

Then if you want to look into some mods to help gain some power back to off set the added rotational mass that is taking away power.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me get this right you’re complaining about a a few miles off per gallon. Muhahah, I only get that kind of mileage when I’m coasting downhill with a strong tailwind. Christ man I had to put 37’s on My 12 Power Wagon just to settle it down, the 4:56’s and Factory 33’s blistered every time I pressed on the Go pedal.

All kidding aside look into some lighter wheels that’s an easy way to decrease rotational mass. A cold air intake, a nice unrestricted exhaust and may be a tuner or Pedal Commander, The pedal Commander actually benefited my Rig as it gets moving a bit quicker and get’s it’s momentum up, lickity split. And I didn’t even recalibrate for the 37’s.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rotating mass is the worst thing on performance/efficiency. Heavier tires and wheels will hurt more than probably any other mod.

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tires are usually the biggest culprit when it comes to fuel econ. Getting everything calibrated to the new tires size will help be more accurate with what the gagues say, but at this point driving style is going to be your best bet. Raised trucks gulp fuel it is what it is. do you have an AT or a MT tire?