Considering New Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ntn94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey All,

I'm toying around with the idea of getting some new headers for my '18 1500. Currently, performance wise, I have a k&n intake w/ a magnaflow exhaust. The main thing holding me back (price aside) is that I don't want my truck too loud. I'm mainly looking to "max out" the performance of the truck with bolt on stuff (ie. no cams, super chargers, ect.), don't really care much about sound. The exhaust I currently have I would consider "mild" in terms of noise and I'm worried that the addition of headers (specifically long tube) would make it too noisy. I live in a community and would rather not wake the neighbors up every time I drive.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else is or has been in a similar situation? Are there long tubes that are designed or proven to be somewhat quitter? Or should I just get shorties and also save some $$?

Thanks,
-NTN

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Long tube are no more quieter than mid-length or shorty types. In fact you may find they are louder depending on tube design and the collector. Shorty headers may deepen the tone a bit.

In your case, a pair of shorty headers would be indicated. Here's my input on why they would be a better choice:

1. Shorty headers work well at improving torque at low to mid RPM which is where your truck will be operating for the majority of time.

2. Long tubes, a.k.a. race headers, really don't come into their own until you are in a sustained high RPM condition. If you plan on running flat out all the time then those might be a better choice.

3. Given the collector design, long tubes can be louder than shorty headers.

4. Shorty headers are just a LOT easier to install.

If it gets too loud after the header install you can remove your existing Magnaflow mufflers and replace them with a pair of Magnflows with a longer case. But I don't think you'll have to do so.

I'd say save the bucks, get a set of headers made for how you are going to drive the truck and save yourself the hassle of a complicated install.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just get the ARH long tubes and use the stock muffler

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with ARH headers and a catted y pipe. This combo with a magnaflow catback typically isn't overly loud. It should be fairly tame unless you are WOT. We offer great pricing on ARH and many other brands. Feel free to message me for more info and a discounted quote ;)

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Long tube are no more quieter than mid-length or shorty types. In fact you may find they are louder depending on tube design and the collector. Shorty headers may deepen the tone a bit.

In your case, a pair of shorty headers would be indicated. Here's my input on why they would be a better choice:

1. Shorty headers work well at improving torque at low to mid RPM which is where your truck will be operating for the majority of time.

2. Long tubes, a.k.a. race headers, really don't come into their own until you are in a sustained high RPM condition. If you plan on running flat out all the time then those might be a better choice.

3. Given the collector design, long tubes can be louder than shorty headers.

4. Shorty headers are just a LOT easier to install.

If it gets too loud after the header install you can remove your existing Magnaflow mufflers and replace them with a pair of Magnflows with a longer case. But I don't think you'll have to do so.

I'd say save the bucks, get a set of headers made for how you are going to drive the truck and save yourself the hassle of a complicated install.

You got that backwards Maddog,long tubes generate more torque,shorties are more inclined to increase power up top.Old rule of thumb,is the longer the primary pipes,the more torque generated,the shorter the primary the more top end.If you want bottem end torque long tubes are the way to go,but you'll need to be tuned to get the most out of them

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Would not anticipate any performance gain from shorty headers as their collectors are usually smaller diameter than OEM 2.5” besides the 6.4 SRT headers customized with the down pipe.

I would bet they lose power under the curve with JBA/BBK openings @ 2.125 and 2.25”. Maybe a little more peak horsepower with aggressive tuning.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You got that backwards Maddog,long tubes generate more torque,shorties are more inclined to increase power up top.Old rule of thumb,is the longer the primary pipes,the more torque generated,the shorter the primary the more top end.If you want bottem end torque long tubes are the way to go,but you'll need to be tuned to get the most out of them

My experience has been exactly the opposite when testing the same motors with the two header types.

This was with a SB Bowtie. Of course, given the passage of time and differences in engine design, results may vary. However, I'll stand by my statements as it is what I have personally experienced.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My experience has been exactly the opposite when testing the same motors with the two header types.

This was with a SB Bowtie. Of course, given the passage of time and differences in engine design, results may vary. However, I'll stand by my statements as it is what I have personally experienced.

I've ran a lot of SB and BB's in my day,and i'd have to disagree,long tubes always out torqued shorties,lol. An engines an engine and it's been proven many times over long tubes with properly sized and length primaries with out pull a set of shorties from idle up. It's a matter of exhaust scanvenging and velocity in the primary ,and shorties are to short to generate much in the way of either,their short primaries don't show any real gains till your usually past the torque peak.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey All,

I'm toying around with the idea of getting some new headers for my '18 1500. Currently, performance wise, I have a k&n intake w/ a magnaflow exhaust. The main thing holding me back (price aside) is that I don't want my truck too loud. I'm mainly looking to "max out" the performance of the truck with bolt on stuff (ie. no cams, super chargers, ect.), don't really care much about sound. The exhaust I currently have I would consider "mild" in terms of noise and I'm worried that the addition of headers (specifically long tube) would make it too noisy. I live in a community and would rather not wake the neighbors up every time I drive.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else is or has been in a similar situation? Are there long tubes that are designed or proven to be somewhat quitter? Or should I just get shorties and also save some $$?

Thanks,
-NTN

Removal of the CATs is what really makes the exhaust loud, long tubes with CATs would be fairly tame with your exhaust and tame/loud is very subjective.

LT Headers on a tuned hemi, add power everywhere. A tuned hemi with manifolds is a significant upgrade over factory, and a tuned hemi with headers is another big kick in the pants, like your engine gained more displacement.

I'm running Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers, no CATs, and a 22" solo muffler and it's not obnoxious. The Doug Thorley design could be potentially quieter than other LTs due to being a Tri-Y design and heavier gauged steel. Downside is you can't buy them with a Catted Y-pipe, just a Y-pipe and no CATs.

In your situation, depends on if you want CATs or not and how much you are willing to spend.

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Here some additional reading

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gen-3-hemi-header-test/

Normal I would say the smaller header should have out torqued the larger one but the key to the puzzle is the Stage 2 Comp HRT cam being used. The 1 5/8's is now to small for the larger cam.

We obviously can see how making one change "cam" can affect how the rest of the engine breathes necessitating different components than your buddies.

Moral of the story. Cam, Longtubes and custom tune gives 100whp gains depending on your tire size :Big Laugh:

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Stock cam yes

Aftermarket cam you can actually go bigger. The cam takes advantage of it

Agreed, but then the trucks will suffer low end losses when you start shifting the power-band.

Sure you can change the stall, but then it isn’t as daily driver friendly.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Here some additional reading

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gen-3-hemi-header-test/

Normal I would say the smaller header should have out torqued the larger one but the key to the puzzle is the Stage 2 Comp HRT cam being used. The 1 5/8's is now to small for the larger cam.

We obviously can see how making one change "cam" can affect how the rest of the engine breathes necessitating different components than your buddies.

Moral of the story. Cam, Longtubes and custom tune gives 100whp gains depending on your tire size :Big Laugh:
Wish they would have done comparison with the 1.75 headers also

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Don’t think there is even a 1-5/8” long-tube primary option for the D-port Hemi heads.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t think there is even a 1-5/8” long-tube primary option for the D-port Hemi heads.

All I’ve seen is 1-3/4” and 1-7/8” headers for our trucks.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Maybe the Doug Thorley Tri-Y has 1.625 primaries.
Must be selling good.......out of stock on the 4wd vrs.
http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/t...e-ram-5.7l-long-tube-headers-(4wd-only)_15922

Nope.......1.75

Header Style: 4:2:1 Long-Tube Tri-Y Header
Material: Steel
Finish: Silver Ceramic Coated
Weld Up: No
Primary Tube Diameter: 1-3/4"
Primary Tube Gauge: 14 Gauge
Collector Attachment: 3 Bolt Flange
Collector Diameter: 2-1/2"
Tuned: No
Flange Thickness: 3/8"
Bolts and/or Studs Included: Yes