Consumer reports agrees!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I agree 100%. I was extremely surprised at the first time I dropped the tailgate and had to actually use some strength to operate it. Then the other day it almost crushed my girlfriend when she opened it for the first time. The ride height was something I had to get used to also....my mom still falls in and out of the truck when I have to take her somewhere lol.

Other than that, I absolutely love the truck. Great article, thanks for sharing.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they make it heavier on 2013s. Mine seems pretty light, this is compared to my old Silverado though.

on the move..

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've never had a truck before so I can't speak as to that. But I will say that I go to the gym regularly and am a big physical fitness guy...and my first thought when I dropped the tailgate and the dealership was "holy s**t that's heavy!". So I think it's safe to say that the tailgate on the 2013's is a little beefier.

OP
OP
Chewy

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
The tailgate is light as a feather compared to my 1998 F150 which had no assist like todays tailgates.

I put the shock dealie on it and so now you just pull the handle and let go.

I'd say it's 50% lighter and MUCH thicker and wider than my '98 was. Both had the spray in bed liner which makes it heavier too.

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the best part of the article was the comments complaining about CR bias. lol

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never had a truck before so I can't speak as to that. But I will say that I go to the gym regularly and am a big physical fitness guy...and my first thought when I dropped the tailgate and the dealership was "holy s**t that's heavy!". So I think it's safe to say that the tailgate on the 2013's is a little beefier.

Yeah the Silverado tailgate was like lowing a slab of cement compared to the RAM. Lol and it always wanted to fall the moment I pulled the handle rather than waiting until I applied force.

On the move..

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
hahah that's good to know. I guess I have it easy then!

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course I don't lower it as much as someone who owns a truck probably should. I hauled a load of blocks the first weekend I had the truck and scratched up the bed and haven't used it really since. I need a liner..

On the move..

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yea I dropped $500 for the Line-X liner and I couldn't be happier. I really don't use the bed too much but it's nice knowing that I can throw (literally) anything I want back there and it won't mess up the bed. Especially with that lifetime warranty that Line-X provides. I'd recommend their liner.

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, my 2012 Ram's tailgate is WAY lighter than anything else I've owned. I didn't notice it until I opened the tailgate on my buddies '05 Ram and it slipped out of my hand and slammed down. So we compared the 2 and mine is so much easier to open and close.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I didn't find the gate scarry heavy for me, but when my 9 year old wanted to help, I realized it aint light either. The Dee Zee tailgate assist should be standard equipment. Makes a very controlled opening, but doesn't use more patience than I have to spare to get it down. :waytogo:

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yea I'm fine with mine now. I just wasn't prepared for the weight the first time I opened it. Not like it's a big deal but it just surprised me at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
Yea I dropped $500 for the Line-X liner and I couldn't be happier. I really don't use the bed too much but it's nice knowing that I can throw (literally) anything I want back there and it won't mess up the bed. Especially with that lifetime warranty that Line-X provides. I'd recommend their liner.

I don't use the bed of my truck that much, but I dropped $475 on the Line-X Platinum spray in liner. It's a new formula this summer. It is 300 times tougher.

LINE-X PLATINUM Offers:

Superior Toughness
Extreme Abrasion Resistance
Extreme Impact Resistance
UV Stability
Fade Resistance
Impervious to Water
Pure Polyurea Technology
Full Color Options
Nationwide Lifetime Warranty

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't use the bed of my truck that much, but I dropped $475 on the Line-X Platinum spray in liner. It's a new formula this summer. It is 300 times tougher.

LINE-X PLATINUM Offers:

Superior Toughness
Extreme Abrasion Resistance
Extreme Impact Resistance
UV Stability
Fade Resistance
Impervious to Water
Pure Polyurea Technology
Full Color Options
Nationwide Lifetime Warranty

Next on the list of things to get for the truck. Then a torque converter.

on the move..

Ram bo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that ting gots a hemi!
yeah, I got the tail gate assist after it tried to take out my little one, he only 7 & no match for it. Also, for the high step up, well, that's what running boards are for.... duh