Converting a 87 D150 to a D250

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportyShorty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a 87 D150 Slant 6 4spd truck, I have a full d350 driveline with all new everything, is it all just bolt in and go? Besides driveshaft obviously! Here's pictures of the two trucks, I've got a single wheel axle to replace the dually one f634b4c0fae7a1edfc94615771442b2b.jpgc5da5d61594ee3308f6c067c448adaa2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
wait so now your going to replace the dually axle with a 1/2 ton axle? you decide to fix up the diesel again or what are your plans for it? i think the rear axle might be an easy swap but you may want to measure the mounts to be sure. i don't know if the front end parts off the d150 will work on the 350 frame or not. you may almost have to try swapping a rotor over and see if it works since i am pretty sure the control arms are not quite the same between them. the 350 stuff could likely be swapped to the 150 but i don't think the 150 stuff could be swapped to the 350 since i think the 350 uses larger bolts to hold things together in the front end.

OP
OP
S

SportyShorty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
wait so now your going to replace the dually axle with a 1/2 ton axle? you decide to fix up the diesel again or what are your plans for it? i think the rear axle might be an easy swap but you may want to measure the mounts to be sure. i don't know if the front end parts off the d150 will work on the 350 frame or not. you may almost have to try swapping a rotor over and see if it works since i am pretty sure the control arms are not quite the same between them. the 350 stuff could likely be swapped to the 150 but i don't think the 150 stuff could be swapped to the 350 since i think the 350 uses larger bolts to hold things together in the front end.

All the d350 stuff will be put under the d150, I have a single wheel axle to run instead of the dually axle!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ok. i don't think that will be too bad but i really don't see any real advantage to doing that. at the end of the day it is still only a 1/2 ton unless you swap vins. it is not necessarily a bolt in swap but most should swap over with a little modification. i would still probably try swapping the front rotors first before tearing anything apart. when i had to get new rotors for my truck i had a hard time finding the right rotor for my truck and the parts store catalog listed the 1 bearing for my truck as a 3/4 and 1 ton truck truck wheel bearings.

OP
OP
S

SportyShorty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok. i don't think that will be too bad but i really don't see any real advantage to doing that. at the end of the day it is still only a 1/2 ton unless you swap vins. it is not necessarily a bolt in swap but most should swap over with a little modification. i would still probably try swapping the front rotors first before tearing anything apart. when i had to get new rotors for my truck i had a hard time finding the right rotor for my truck and the parts store catalog listed the 1 bearing for my truck as a 3/4 and 1 ton truck truck wheel bearings.

The truck will be getting a Cummins and Dana 80 rear end! So matching the front would be nice!