Coolant leaking in my engine and it's not starting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
As I said the coolant is leaking in my engine and it's not starting up when I turn the key it turns over and then dies out immediately my question is anybody ever dealt with this I've ruled out that the coolant is going in my oil I took out my spark plugs and they were drenched. Coolant was in the spark plug wires after trying to start it three or four times so that's how bad it's getting. I just want to know is there anyway I can get the car started that way I can buy a good head gasket sealer cuz most likely it's a head gasket or a manifold leak that's what a couple of people told me but I need the engine to run for at least 15-30 minutes.I've already put over 2 Grand into it for other parts some mods some parts just needed to be replaced. My father actually just died in May and was restoring the truck and signed it over to me literally three days before he died so I don't want to get rid of it I'm going to keep it but I need to address the problem ASAP. The money is adding up man it's going out faster than it's coming in you guys understand. Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm still in the learning phase. Hope to hear back from somebody this time around???

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What engine? You need new head gaskets most likely. Is liquid coming out the exhaust? Could also be a cracked cylinder head. The 318 and 360 use a coolant passage through the intake manifold as well and may need new intake gaskets. Clean it off with brake clean and wipe it dry then refill your coolant with distilled water and see where it leaks out. Which cylinders are wet

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your spark plugs are drenched in coolant, stop try to start the engine as it's not going to happen and it's possible to damage the engine (if it hasn't happened already). The head gaskets need to be replaced.

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
What engine? You need new head gaskets most likely. Is liquid coming out the exhaust? Could also be a cracked cylinder head. The 318 and 360 use a coolant passage through the intake manifold as well and may need new intake gaskets. Clean it off with brake clean and wipe it dry then refill your coolant with distilled water and see where it leaks out. Which cylinders are wet

It's a 318 magnum and no there's no water coming out of the exhaust only a little sweet smelling white smoke or the exhaust manifolds. I figured it was either the head gasket, blown manifold gasket, and pray to God it's not a cracked cylinder head. How much you think it's going to cost replacing the head gasket/s on that??

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
It's a 318 magnum and no there's no water coming out of the exhaust only a little sweet smelling white smoke or the exhaust manifolds. I figured it was either the head gasket, blown manifold gasket, and pray to God it's not a cracked cylinder head. How much you think it's going to cost replacing the head gasket/s on that??

I forgot to add it only leaks while I'm trying to start it ???

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the spark plugs are wet coolant is getting in the cylinder somehow and you need to trace the leak out. I’m not sure how it’ll only leak when trying to start unless it’s an open source that takes flowing water which could also be the coolant hose into the intake but anything is possible. Basically you need to tear down the top end to see if you can find the source. Or get a pressure tester for the coolant system.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wouldn't be unusual to have a cracked head, replacements aren't expensive though - though expensive is all relative.
If you do it all yourself and know what you are doing, it's less than a grand for heads/gaskets/etc.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to hear about your father, my condolences.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many cylinders and if there is a lot of water getting in, you can hydrolock the motor and bend rods/break pistons/bend valves/etc.

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
How many cylinders and if there is a lot of water getting in, you can hydrolock the motor and bend rods/break pistons/bend valves/etc.
It's a V8 and I don't want hydro lock at all. Thank you about my father I really appreciate it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a V8 and I don't want hydro lock at all. Thank you about my father I really appreciate it.

No, how many cylinders have antifreeze in them :)
I saw your profile says 318/ aka 5.2 V8.

Is it just one or 2 cylinders? adjacent to each other or opposite banks or same bank opposite end of the block?

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
No, how many cylinders have antifreeze in them :)
I saw your profile says 318/ aka 5.2 V8.

Is it just one or 2 cylinders? adjacent to each other or opposite banks or same bank opposite end of the block?
All the spark plugs was soaked so I'm guessing all brother.

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
All the spark plugs was soaked so I'm guessing all brother.

One shop gave me an estimate today over to Gran's to replace the head gaskets on my engine I told him the mileage and he said why don't you just go to the junkyard by an engine feel like 800 and then have me of somebody put it in and 4000 to go to the Jeep because you goes head gasket it's the labor that kills the bank.I've never had trouble with a head gasket ever and I've owned 27 vehicles since I was 15. This sucks if it is the head gasket but one thing's for sure head gasket, cracked cylinder, or intake manifold leak. I inspected the manifold and it was dry all around it so I don't think that's it plus the water neck the thermostat the water pump the bypass hose in the other two radiator hoses were all replaced about two and a half months ago all at the same time. What does it mean if all 8 cylinders of flooded obviously that's horrible but head gasket right??

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One shop gave me an estimate today over to Gran's to replace the head gaskets on my engine I told him the mileage and he said why don't you just go to the junkyard by an engine feel like 800 and then have me of somebody put it in and 4000 to go to the Jeep because you goes head gasket it's the labor that kills the bank.I've never had trouble with a head gasket ever and I've owned 27 vehicles since I was 15. This sucks if it is the head gasket but one thing's for sure head gasket, cracked cylinder, or intake manifold leak. I inspected the manifold and it was dry all around it so I don't think that's it plus the water neck the thermostat the water pump the bypass hose in the other two radiator hoses were all replaced about two and a half months ago all at the same time. What does it mean if all 8 cylinders of flooded obviously that's horrible but head gasket right??

Drain your oil. At this point some Coolant has gotten down into it. If all cylinders are wet that’s odd. Usually its 1 or 2 if it’s head gasket. Intake would cause moisture in all cylinders but you said intake is dry

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
Drain your oil. At this point some Coolant has gotten down into it. If all cylinders are wet that’s odd. Usually its 1 or 2 if it’s head gasket. Intake would cause moisture in all cylinders but you said intake is dry
I already drained my oil it was one of the first things I did there's no coolant in it. It's perfect but I could be wrong about the intake manifold I hope I am it's the cheapest way out right??.and I'm glad to hear that about the head gasket it's usually only one or two cylinders cuz every time I take out the spark plugs after I have started it a few times and checked and yeah they were all wet some up into the spark plug wire.do you know a way I can definitely find out about the intake manifold if it's leaking is the water trick the only way that you know of.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pressurize the coolant system. It’s odd that the wires themselves are getting wet. That leads me to think it’s not an internal leak and would be water on the outside of the engine. Post some pictures if you can.

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
Pressurize the coolant system. It’s odd that the wires themselves are getting wet. That leads me to think it’s not an internal leak and would be water on the outside of the engine. Post some pictures if you can.
You want pics of how the spark plugs look like when I pull them out and the wire before being pressurized or after because I can show you in a few moments bro it's easy pulling a couple out.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you pull a plug or two, ground those plug wires and crank it over - does it blow antifreeze out of the cylinder?

Something isn't adding up, usually something that leaks into all the cylinders will hydro the motor.
As well as show up in the oil as it will leak past the rings some.

For it to get into the plug wires from an internal leak, the antifreeze would have to push past the porcelain part of the plug.

Could it be fuel on the plugs??? And antifreeze on the exterior?

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
I was out there just looking at the manifold again and you know where the thermostat is about an inch in front of that right below there was a wet spot of coolant so most likely that might be the spot where it was coming out Saturday morning when I tried starting it five times and on the last try coolant came dripping out from between the engine and alternator AC compressor pulley assembly. That has to be it. And the spark plugs and wires have a rust color liquid all over them it even gets the anti seize soaked as well to where it comes off a bit why is that the color that is ??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956