Coolant reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beasley907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 ram 5.7. While doing a coolant flush I pulled the coolant reservoir to clean it. The hose goes about 3/4 of the way down the tank. Does it actually pull from here or is it just a expansion tank? It’s got the dipstick thing with minimum and max on it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe that it is only an expansion tank

covering the radiator is what Ram wants to call a Sight Shield, instead of a dust cover. ( But it does shield a bunch of things from sight )

There is a radiator cap under there

OP
OP
Beasley907

Beasley907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe that it is only an expansion tank

covering the radiator is what Ram wants to call a Sight Shield, instead of a dust cover. ( But it does shield a bunch of things from sight )

There is a radiator cap under there
Yea I’m familiar with the radiator cap,that’s where I added the distilled water for the flush. Just curious if there’s anyway the system could pull from that tank. I mean they put a minimum and maximum coolant dipstick in it so to me that means there should be coolant in there. But I dunno seems silly to not have the hose at the bottom but there’s probably some smart engineering reason for it lol

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s only used for expansion. When hot it’ll flow into there. As it cools back down if there is space it’ll suck fluid back into the radiator. So yes fluid can go back out of it. It is not part of the pressurized system though so it does not have constant flow

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just figured that when the radiator overheats just a bit, the excess goes into the reservoir, when the radiator cools off it draws that water back into the radiator

OP
OP
Beasley907

Beasley907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s only used for expansion. When hot it’ll flow into there. As it cools back down if there is space it’ll suck fluid back into the radiator. So yes fluid can go back out of it. It is not part of the pressurized system though so it does not have constant flow
Sweet just making sure I put coolant back in it for a reason. I was like why else would they put a min max mark on the coolant dipstick.