Coolant type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbdonny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 5.7, I flushed my radiator due to seeing some rusty color in the fluid when i checked the levels. My owners manual says to use the O.A.T 90032 but I cant find it. I bought some of the Prestone Platinum concentrate that says for all vehicles. Is this antifreeze/ coolant ok to use in my Ram?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you have rust, whatever you do get some rmi25 and add it to whatever coolant you have now. Read up on it, it is one of those rare additives that does exactly what it says, it will take any rust out.

read the coolant thread, learn about the additives and dex clones, I will see if I can find the msds on the coolant you suggest.

The problem with coolant is they lack cleaners because they depend on a film you dont want cleaned off. But when they fail, you need to add a cleaner, enter rmi25. After 500 miles maybe 1000, do your coolant fluxh.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
here is the msds, it is a dex clone, dont use that in your ram, especially one that had oxidation like rust.

2-Ethyl Hexanoic Acid is dex cool or dex clone, only GM vehicles are made to handle that and they still have damage. Read the thread, if for some reason you want to use an all vehicle coolant, try peak global life of anyone without dex.

Now, ram coolant is a great product. Do you not amazon? 14 bucks pre mixed, it is worth it imo. they also sell rmi25.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a jug of this earlier for my 13 Ram. $23 @ the local parts store. A bit more expensive than Prestone, other brand was a no name. Have used Peak brand in several other vehicles. Will see how it does. BF419594-5FCE-4604-B50E-56D5D5B2B484.jpeg

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Below is my preferred OAT coolant and IMHO stay far away from GM's DEX coolant

Attachments

• OAT Zerex.jpg
    OAT Zerex.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 16

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I bought a jug of this earlier for my 13 Ram. $23 @ the local parts store. A bit more expensive than Prestone, other brand was a no name. Have used Peak brand in several other vehicles. Will see how it does. View attachment 518729
normally that color label means dex clone, and yes that one is also a dex clone, here is msds pdf.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 5.7, I flushed my radiator due to seeing some rusty color in the fluid when i checked the levels. My owners manual says to use the O.A.T 90032 but I cant find it. I bought some of the Prestone Platinum concentrate that says for all vehicles. Is this antifreeze/ coolant ok to use in my Ram?
NOPE! There is NO one size fits all coolant. It's not possible. Do not jump over a dollar to save a penny. Go get factory coolant for THAT vehicle. Amortize it out over 3-4 years and it is ridiculously cheap to just use the factory stuff.... and not have to deal with future problems because you put in an incorrect coolant to save, oh, 10-15 dollars?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you saying that is not good for a 13 5.7?
Absolutely. The different types of coolant are specifically designed to work with the dissimilar metals in the engine, coupled with head gasket designs, and electrolysis mediation. There are several types (formulas) of coolant. It is not possible to have one-size-fits-all in coolant. I install what the manufacturer specifies in all my own vehicles AND all my customers' vehicles. I seldom have to replace water pumps, and radiators I replace are generally due to temperature cycle fatigue causing the plastic tanks to fail. I replace the thermostats typically due to age and mileage, not due to systemic neglect related failure.

Customers who come to use my shop from other stops which aren't so diligent, are the majority source of my radiator/water pump replacements. My wife's 2007 Sorento has 231,000 miles on the original water pump. I recently replaced the t-stat while I was in there doing other repairs which called for draining the cooling system. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original t-stat, but it is such a pain to replace, I took advantage of the easier access.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely. The different types of coolant are specifically designed to work with the dissimilar metals in the engine, coupled with head gasket designs, and electrolysis mediation. There are several types (formulas) of coolant. It is not possible to have one-size-fits-all in coolant. I install what the manufacturer specifies in all my own vehicles AND all my customers' vehicles. I seldom have to replace water pumps, and radiators I replace are generally due to temperature cycle fatigue causing the plastic tanks to fail. I replace the thermostats typically due to age and mileage, not due to systemic neglect related failure.

Customers who come to use my shop from other stops which aren't so diligent, are the majority source of my radiator/water pump replacements. My wife's 2007 Sorento has 231,000 miles on the original water pump. I recently replaced the t-stat while I was in there doing other repairs which called for draining the cooling system. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original t-stat, but it is such a pain to replace, I took advantage of the easier access.
I’ll be flushing the system as I’m swapping engines and there’s no coolant in the block. Will use what I can get readily available and not worrying about shipping delays.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
just remember what you pour in

because you will not want to mix coolant brands or types

I think someone mentioned a PEAK OAT Antifreeze that may work, it may have been PEAK GLOBAL ??? but, maybe not
PEAK® Antifreeze + Coolant is free of 2-EHA, silicate, nitrite, borate, and amines, ensuring maximum cooling system performance for 10+ years/300,000+ miles*. It is compatible for use with any color or type of antifreeze + coolant in the system.

Last edited:

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
My 2018 3500 has a label on the coolant tank the explicitly states use OAT MS-12106. PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY Antifreeze - Orange states it meets MS-12106 and is listed for Chrysler products 2013 and newer.

Important thing on any antifreeze you buy it to verify it meets the correct spec.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A couple of the big name coolants spec dex clone for Chrysler, and a couple also have the chrysler spec w/o it being a dex clone. It is up to you, but I suggest using the one w/o dex. BTW, oem chrysler coolant ISNT a dex clone, no 2-EHA,

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Personally I stick with MOPAR or brands the meet the same code RAM accepts. There is a reason for specific additives in antifreeze fluids. It protect the different metals that is in the engine. I know MOPR is a few bucks more, but I have a 7 year unlimited mileage warranty by MOPAR and I have 18 more months left on it and have 126,600 miles on my 17 RAM. I want to not only protect my warranty, but the truck to last as long as it can.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can get the mopar concentrate off Amazon for a pretty good price
I ordered 1 gal concentrate from Amazon and needed 1 gal more, the local dealer had it for about the same price.
Changed the coolant on my truck at 56k miles, drained it and flushed with distilled water 3 times as the L.H. side block drain plug is impossible to get to, then refilled with a 50% mix of concentrate and distilled water.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered 1 gal concentrate from Amazon and needed 1 gal more, the local dealer had it for about the same price.
Changed the coolant on my truck at 56k miles, drained it and flushed with distilled water 3 times as the L.H. side block drain plug is impossible to get to, then refilled with a 50% mix of concentrate and distilled water.
I called the dealer to check their price first, the guy on the phone tried to tell me dex is the same thing and to just go to autozone. Needless to say I didn't buy from them.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
OP,
You've got excellent advice from Burla, Sherman Bird and GTYankee.
Listen to it or be prepared to open your wallet, WIDE, at a later Date.

Personally, I hate it when it's my truck that decides when I must Stop and go no further.
Specially when it's all due to my doing something dumb.
Getting stranded is the Reward.
Paying to repair, what I should've done, in the first place, is the Bonus.
When the Wife finds out and gets in on teh action...well, that's the Trifecta of Misery

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92

SB,

do you prefer diluting a gallon of MOPAR concentrate, or just going with the pre-diluted MOPAR 50/50 by the gallon option???

RED