Coolant type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
sorry to raise an old thread. I'm planning a coolant flush on my Ram. I changed the coolant once before and used Mopar Coolant.
Of course considering that we often look at the best fluids in terms of engine oil, I'm thinking of using a good Coolant like Valvoline's Zerex.
However I cannot find out which one I'm supposed to use. I know that my brother's 2004 Durango needed HOAT type and it was orange in color. I'm wondering if the Ram needs the same. Or do I need OAT.
Which one do I choose? https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/antifreeze-coolant/
Are there any other recommendations other than Zerex?
If it was my truck I would use Zerex Heavy Duty Nitrite Free Extended Life Yellow Antifreeze or red of you don't like yellow: https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/zerex-nitrite-free-extended-life-yellow-antifreeze/ FYI do not use Dex cool

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it was my truck I would use Zerex Heavy Duty Nitrite Free Extended Life Yellow Antifreeze or red of you don't like yellow: https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/zerex-nitrite-free-extended-life-yellow-antifreeze/ FYI do not use Dex cool
Zerex made this when it was fiat/chrysler, so they call this european formula, but this is mopar oat even kept the color, you can see only recommended for 2013 and later. They confuse people by calling it 5 year, but its the same stuff.

us_877981_val_zerex_g30_afc_rtu_6-1gal_back.jpg

us_877981_zerex_g30_afc_rtu_1gal.jpg

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spoke with the local Valvoline distributor. The only Zerex they have are:
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-22 at 21.33.41.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-05-22 at 21.33.43.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-05-22 at 21.42.02.jpeg

They suggested the Red Zerex.. It is HOAT, but they said that it will be good.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• US_Val_ZXAsianRed_AFC_EN.pdf
    623.6 KB · Views: 1

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put in my vehicle details on Valvoline website. There were the recommended options. It shows a combination of HOAT and OAT fluids.
Zerex.png

If I flush the entire coolant system, does it matter which one I use?
So if it doesn't and the Valvoline dealer is right, then which of his 3 options should I use?
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-22 at 21.33.41.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-05-22 at 21.33.43.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-05-22 at 21.42.02.jpeg
Or maybe I should forget Zerex and stick to Mopar MS12106 concentrate and then mix with distilled water.

Last edited:

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY Antifreeze - Orange states it meets MS-12106 and is listed for Chrysler products 2013 and newer.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put in my vehicle details on Valvoline website. There were the recommended options. It shows a combination of HOAT and OAT fluids.
View attachment 543447

If I flush the entire coolant system, does it which one I use?
So if it doesn't and the Valvoline dealer is right, then which of his 3 options should I use?
View attachment 543448View attachment 543449View attachment 543450
Or maybe I should forget Zerex and stick to Mopar MS12106 concentrate and then mix with distilled water.

You can’t go wrong using the OEM fluid. It’s compatible with what you already have in the vehicle and it’s a few dollars more than the aftermarket fluids. I got the one gallon Mopar concentrate on Amazon for $26 back in February. Dealer wanted $40 per gallon. OEM and distilled water is the safest route.

***edit
A gallon of Mopar concentrate 10 year, 150,000 mile purple OAT fluid is $22 on Amazon.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY Antifreeze - Orange states it meets MS-12106 and is listed for Chrysler products 2013 and newer.
and GM 1995 and newer, in other words if it is orange it is DEX COOL. So them telling you to use it in a Chrysler vehicles is saying dex clones are safe to use. Up to each owner, but why trust dex clones when there are always alternatives?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mopar sds for hoat and oat are posted in which coolant thread, neither contain 2eha which is the difference between Chrysler oat and dex cool, the only difference is 2eha which has more lawsuits then anything in the automotive world. It is NOT in Mopar coolant, and yes these makers of dex cool clones say you can use it, go figure. If it was beneficial I'm sure Chrysler would have used 2eha but they didn't.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
View attachment 543447

If I flush the entire coolant system, does it matter which one I use?
View attachment 543448View attachment 543449View attachment 543450
If you flush out all of the OAT you can use what ever you want, can you get Zerex G05 as I have used it, if not then Red, but its your choice...

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you flush out all of the OAT you can use what ever you want, can you get Zerex G05 as I have used it, if not then Red, but its your choice...
I can get Zerex Dex-Cool or G05. Infact, Zerex Dex-Cool is OAT and stated as MS12106 compliant. However they need to be shipped from overseas and so, in terms of price, will more than the Mopar MS12106 coolant & distilled water combo. Zerex Asian Red will be literally 1/2 the price of both of them.

So considering all of that, would getting Zerex be worth it over the stock Mopar fluid?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can get Zerex Dex-Cool or G05. Infact, Zerex Dex-Cool is OAT and stated as MS12106 compliant. However they need to be shipped from overseas and so, in terms of price, will more than the Mopar MS12106 coolant & distilled water combo. Zerex Asian Red will be literally 1/2 the price of both of them.

So considering all of that, would getting Zerex be worth it over the stock Mopar fluid?

My opinion is no it’s not worth getting Zerex. If the OEM fluid is cheaper in the long run stay with the OEM fluid. It’s a very good product specifically designed for use in your vehicle. A engine is 10 grand and a gallon of coolant is a tiny fraction of that price. I see you are in Dubai so availability may be a factor, price not so much. I say that because it just doesn’t make sense trying to save a few dollars to protect an expensive item. Zerex dex-cool may be an OAT formula but it still contains 2eha which the Mopar coolant does not contain. Zerex is MS12106 compliant but that is only a standard, meaning it will work with the Chrysler requirements but it’s still not the Mopar formula. Dex-cool and its clones have had issues for years, why risk it? I understand the Asian formulas may be different but how are they different? There is Asian blue, red and green. They are all OAT but why are they marketed separately? Why not just one Asian formula? We don’t really know why so if you have a Honda use the blue stuff, a Toyota use the red stuff and a Hyundai use the green stuff. If you have a Ram use the Mopar stuff.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some time ago I had an issue with a leak in the transmission TMU which resulted in milkshake stuff in my cooling system. Fixed it, flushed the cooling system multiple times.
We filled with the Mopar fluid. Recently I was stuck in traffic and I noticed the engine temp crept over the 1/2 mark and reach the 3/4 mark. The air conditioning started blowing warm air. We were stuck in that traffic for about 30 mins. Thank goodness the traffic started moving again and the temp crept down again. Since then it hasn’t gone up. Checked the coolant level and it was correct. So no leaks or anything. Planning to do another flush and check the radiator for blocks. I wondered if there was any better coolant than the Mopar one and wanted to try out something like Zerex. Heard good things about it.
Anyone who has spent time on the Synthetic Oil thread knows that Mopar brand oil is good, but pretty average when compared to stuff from Valvoline, Pennzoil & Redline. So thought it might be the same for the Coolant as well.

Considering the limited availability in my location, I guess the Mopar fluid will have to do.

Last edited: