Cooling Fan drowning out engine noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Wolverton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weird issue maybe but I've had this truck now for about 2 months, but for the past month, it seems like the cooling fans are always on, even in cooler weather, and you literally can't hear the engine over the fan noise. Literally the more I press on the gas pedal, the louder the fan noise gets. Am I the only one having this issue? Is there a fix?

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I’ve never heard this before on my 19 PW. I hear the fan sometimes but nothing like you are describing.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I’ve heard people mention their fan being super loud when towing up some steep greeds, but I haven’t noticed anything with my truck, even in 100 degree heat.

OP
OP
Mark Wolverton

Mark Wolverton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like it is stuck on. Is it all the time? Stop by a dealership to compare. My 19 with 6.4 doesn’t do it.
Yes, all the time. When I bought the truck, the first thing I noticed was how nice the motor sounded. Now I can't hear it at all unless I'm standing right next to the tail pipe at idle.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yes, all the time. When I bought the truck, the first thing I noticed was how nice the motor sounded. Now I can't hear it at all unless I'm standing right next to the tail pipe at idle.

take it to the dealer, something isn’t right. At least we know for sure your truck is staying cool! Lmao

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sensor???? Had a skid steer do the same thing and here it was a broken wire to the sensor. Was telling the fan to run high speed even when cold>>>Just some thought here>>>>>Fixed the broken wire and works like it is supposed to>>>>

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
are you at a super high elevation?

I only mention this because im from Texas. but when i went trail riding in the Rocky mountains in CO that high speed fan NEVER shut off. we were probably at about 10-11k feet elevation, but yeah. I figured it was because of the elevation and air density. The truck needed all the cooling it could get.

Keeping in mind though, the high speed fan did shut off once we got to lower ground

OP
OP
Mark Wolverton

Mark Wolverton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
are you at a super high elevation?

I only mention this because im from Texas. but when i went trail riding in the Rocky mountains in CO that high speed fan NEVER shut off. we were probably at about 10-11k feet elevation, but yeah. I figured it was because of the elevation and air density. The truck needed all the cooling it could get.

Keeping in mind though, the high speed fan did shut off once we got to lower ground
No, I'm in CT, only a couple hundred feet above sea level. I'm due for an oil change soon, I'll have them look at it then.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i had a 16 2500 6.4 for 30 k miles. went through 3 fan clutches. first one the dealer replaced. the second 2 i did in my driveway because dealer is 1 hr away. it sounds like a jet engine when its stuck on. so loud its hard to speak on the phone. when stuck on the truck is a dog. mopar must have had a bad supply of chinese fan clutches or ? cheers.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i had a 16 2500 6.4 for 30 k miles. went through 3 fan clutches. first one the dealer replaced. the second 2 i did in my driveway because dealer is 1 hr away. it sounds like a jet engine when its stuck on. so loud its hard to speak on the phone. when stuck on the truck is a dog. mopar must have had a bad supply of chinese fan clutches or ? cheers.

yes sir i had '16 also with bad fan clutch. theres actually two fans but 99% of people dont know that. the engine driven fan has some sort of viscous clutch is what it looked like and thats the part that malfunctions. not sure if they were from china but im doubting it. all the mechanical componets on the drivetrain ive seen so far were usa or mexico. the radio system may be china however. picked up a '17 three year ago and the fan has worked perfect so far. maybe bad batch of fans. maybe they were stored incorrect. supposedly you not supposed to lay them flat on the ground because the fluid in there

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, like crazy jerry and nukegm said, its your fan clutch going bad.

Can you freely spin the fan with the truck off?