Core 4x4 rear upper and lower control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pistol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To date I have installed a Moe's ported throttle body, K&N filter in the stock air box and had it tuned by Hemifever. My truck has decent power and although I'm pretty happy with it I'm like everyone else and want more. I'm close to having the money to get a set of ARH long tubes and get them coated. We all know there is going to be a considerable gain after the truck is tuned for the headers and it dawned on me... as it stands right know, the rear end of my truck walks around when I hammer the throttle. It is more pronounced when I'm cruising on the interstate and jump in it and there have been a couple of times it was so bad I thought the rear tires had broken loose. Obviously my truck isn't producing enough HP to break a new set of Nitto Terra Grappler G2s loose at 70 mhp so the problem had to be in the suspension.

I ordered a set of Core 4x4 upper and lower control arms from Moe's Performance. The install was very simple and took about 3 hours only because I take my time and triple check everything. To say the control arms are heavy duty is an understatement. One Core 4x4 upper control arm weighed more than all four of the stock control arms. These things are ridiculously over built for every day drivers but I'm sure I'll never have to worry about replacing them.

I can not recommend this upgrade enough! All the "mush" is gone from my rear suspension. The ride has stiffened up and cornering is better. I still plan to upgrade the pan hard bar and sway bay but the upper and lower control arms have improved the ride and handling already. I'm fully aware that the arms did not add any horsepower but they have definitely improved the to transfer the power I have to the ground which makes it feel like I added HP.

As for the install (sorry no pics or video). My driveway has a slight grade running towards the street. I chocked the front tires and set the rear axle on jack stands. I left the stands on the lowest setting. When I raised the axle it was only high enough to slide the stands under, about 2 inches. The stands were only used to keep the rear axle from moving around. The tires were still touching the ground and the rear axle was sitting approximately 1.5 inches higher than normal. Again, I only wanted to prevent the rear axle from moving. After that I unbolted the lower arm and removed it. I was careful to watch and make sure nothing moved. I then took out the upper arm. Using the stock arms and the new bolts I adjusted the Core 4x4 arms until the bolt holes matched the stock arms. I threw a little grease on the bolts and bushings and put the new arms in.

I put the upper arm in first. I had to make a half turn adjustment to get the bolts to line up, loosely tightened the hardware and put the lower arm in. once both arms were in place everything was tightened down including the lock nut on the Johnny Joint. you will need a 1 5/8" wrench for the lock nut. Repeat on the opposite side.

The only complaints I have are that the lower arms do not come with a mount for the stock brake cable hanger. It wouldn't be difficult to add one and I might do it at some point but for now the cables are stiff enough that I am not worried about them falling into the tire. Second, the poly bushing inserts seem to be tapered and the bolts would only go through one way. Again, not that big of a deal but if they are tapered a note in the box informing you of such would be nice.

Overall I would highly recommend these as an upgrade. We all want to more power but seldom go about it the right way. You can have a 1000 HP motor but it you can't control the truck under power it is all for nothing.

20181027_135359_zpsg8rjfdyi.jpg

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time I read posts like this it makes me want these control arms more and more... even in stock form you can feel that sloppy feeling in the rear end. Even worse with little bumps since it makes that rear end feel like it’s sliding around under you

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These control arms are awesome. We have sold a bunch of these. The ability to customize them with your choice of color is a great touch too. They are extremely strong and make the rear feel much more planted

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same experience w/ the Core arms. They are definitely worth their weight...literally. lol They cut my wheel spin in half & helped plant then control the rear end so much better than the stock arms did

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
The only complaints I have are that the lower arms do not come with a mount for the stock brake cable hanger. It wouldn't be difficult to add one and I might do it at some point but for now the cables are stiff enough that I am not worried about them falling into the tire.

I had CORE weld on a tab with a nut and bolt when I ordered mine. They only charged an extra $10. Be nice if that came standard, but in the end maybe it's not an issue.

core.jpg

OP
OP
Pistol

Pistol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had CORE weld on a tab with a nut and bolt when I ordered mine. They only charged an extra $10. Be nice if that came standard, but in the end maybe it's not an issue.

View attachment 145748

I ordered mine from Moe's but I didn't know that was an option if you ordered it direct. No worries though, I'll put one on at some point.

OP
OP
Pistol

Pistol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every time I read posts like this it makes me want these control arms more and more... even in stock form you can feel that sloppy feeling in the rear end. Even worse with little bumps since it makes that rear end feel like it’s sliding around under you

Worth every penny. It is one of those things that makes driving more enjoyable.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the full set with panhard for mine. Even was able to get them painted to match my Hellwig rear anti sway. They put the Air Ride attachments on mine also. Love them. Night and Day difference.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I got the full set with panhard for mine. Even was able to get them painted to match my Hellwig rear anti sway. They put the Air Ride attachments on mine also. Love them. Night and Day difference.

Hmmmm. Got pics of the air ride mods on them?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats and yes they are nice, no complaints. I just loosely put a black ty-wrap around those lines/arm on mine

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If anyone wants anything added to theirs let us know. We work directly with Spence at Core and we can get your set up with any custom touches

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do 1 at a time matching the length to the OE arms you have no need to lift it off the ground . For 20 some years its been done that same way for all 8 on a wrangler. Dont over think it

Last edited:

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Love the core 4x4! I have the johnnies on both ends with thier new bent track bar to accommodate the diff covers. These are beefy! And “Hot Dam” Sexy lol! Can’t go wrong with them... Also, can’t wait for the new front end links coming soon, Spence says maybe in Jan. Gonna be heavy duty!

23820019-154F-4A63-B37A-A16B45FBAA28.jpeg

7187DD6C-9480-4F53-96F9-640E4A7CC4EB.jpeg

61F013A8-615F-40B2-91DA-EC4FC533FDB0.jpeg

6AEAAE90-A39A-4A5C-AC2B-A9A91F8A7F48.jpeg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

fastgti

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7. hemi
Just make sure you go and have an alignment done. Every time you replace add or anything to the suspension you need to have an alignment done other wise you could destroy your tires and or get into an accident because your tire blew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you consider Spohn when shopping for these? I ask because I was considering these also but saw Spohn are considerably cheaper.... so are the Core 4x4 going to be WAY better than Spohn over stock? And would the extra weight be a con vs Spohn being lighter be a pro? I know the Core are better, but over stock would saving money with the Spohn give equal gains??
I do love the look of the Core stuff...:)

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you consider Spohn when shopping for these? I ask because I was considering these also but saw Spohn are considerably cheaper.... so are the Core 4x4 going to be WAY better than Spohn over stock? And would the extra weight be a con vs Spohn being lighter be a pro? I know the Core are better, but over stock would saving money with the Spohn give equal gains??

Everybody has bailed from using Spohn arms. The joints/bushings Spohn uses loosen up & clunk in a very quick time(people say around 1500-3000 miles of driving) & require being tightened up. Also have seen alot of joint failures all together w/ Spohn arms. Thats why everybody is using Core now. Core is a far better product

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

To add to Gary's post ,there's also been a few issues with the Spohn arms breaking the ends off their locating arms,usually only an issue on the higher horsepower trucks with sticky tires.In the world of suspension products you get what you pay for,and Spohns stuff is definitely on the lower end of the scale as far as quality goes.Cheap isn't the way to go on suspension components, if they do break,it could kill you.

Last edited: