Could bad plugs/alternator cause these issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20131500MSM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hi everyone, i own a 2013 RAM with the 4.7L.

I’ve been having a few issues with it as of late, and i’m wondering if anyone could steer me in the direction of what to do.

Firstly, my truck has 105950 miles on it as of now with no check engine lights and no stored codes.

To start off with this laundry list:

As of recently, i noticed that the truck would make a clunking sound when shifting into 4th gear, and as of recent in starting to hear the sound more and more in other gears as well, it sounds like the light knock you get when shifting into drive or reverse, it sounds like the driveshaft engaging but at the same time it sounds a bit hollower if that makes sense.

Now, i had a plug job done on this truck back in July when it had only around 98-99K on it because it needed to be done, and i don’t think they gapped them right. Only reason i’m saying this is that i LOST performance after they did the job.

A few months after said plug job, back in October, i noticed the trans was shifting VERY soft. Like unbearably soft and slow. I dropped the pan to do a filter job after (no metal in pan and valve body was flat, checked with ruler). (This is still happening).

In late october to early november i got a “Battery Voltage Low” message in the EVIC, so i rushed home and checked with my scan tool and the battery when the engine was running only got around 12 volts, and when i shut the vehicle off and back on again it cranked over EXTREMELY slow but somehow kicked over enough to fire back up (the engine only jumped up to 900 RPMs when it fired vs it’s usual 1500 or so).

Left it overnight, started it the next day and it was like nothing was wrong, but i still had a hunch to check the alternator.

Take airbox off, take the top wire of the alternator off and there was what looked like melted plastic all over the connector that was black. Sanded it off with the engine bay grounding points and that seemed to have fixed the issue, and the charging voltage is now at around 14.4-14.5, never gets any higher.

Last night i was at a stoplight on a nighttime drive with my interior light dimmer on low, and i accidentally hit the gas pedal just enough for the engine to raise RPMs; and the gauge cluster backlights dimmed horribly, nearly to completely off, same with the radio. Scan tool said the truck was still at 14.5 volts.

Since i sanded off the alternator terminal, there’s been a very noticeable whine from what sounds to be the engine bay. It sounds electronic, and maybe slightly mechanical. I’m only saying mechanical because since the trans is shifting soft that’s the only thing that comes to mind is that something is whining inside. But if that was the case, wouldn’t it set a code for low pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

20131500MSM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I forgot to add, that for a while now it seems that once the truck is turned off when hot and then cranked back over hot that it’ll act very lethargic, with the shifts that take over 3 seconds, little power, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like a few possibilities. You might have 14.5 volts but your amps matter, you need to have that tested with something like a carbon pile tester or other diagnostic tool. Clunking in gears, probably transmission. Or could be loose bolts on something like engine mount or cross member that holds it all in place. On loss of power, you could have gapped incorrectly, broke a wire or just have bad contact somewhere, maybe bad injector or coil. I would tackle electrical issue first, that could explain most of your problems. Then your clunk. Good luck.