CP4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
There's a TSB (Ram-TSB#18-060-20/ NHTSA_TSB#_10180256) that you need to read if you have to flash the ECM on the HD trucks because there's two types of pumps now. The TSB help you identify the CP4 pump used on the truck.

That would indicate there's a new revised CP4. The "older" RAM CP4's (Asymmetrical) are changing the lobes back to the style that the CP3 used (Symmetrical) with the new CP4 having Symmetrical lobes. Linked is the TSB, also attached.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180256-9999.pdf
This morning i thought I'd waste my time and try to get some insider info, no luck. I called the dealer about this tsb and it having my vehicle on it. Dealer of coarse said well thers nothing on your vin for recalls. Yeh, i know that d.a.
So I called fca customer care and spoke with jody. She actually did some investigation, came up empty but at least she tried. She did document my high concerns with the cp4 possibly failing. She said that she could not find any info that was happening on the fuel pump but she knows they leaned away from it on the 21s. Hmmmmmm whyyyyyy??? Somebody is supposed to call me back, but probably never. When i asked about taking it into a dealership, even though there's no current campaign or recall to have the pump changed to the cp3 or to flash the system and or make it the new symmetrical version, she said that there is nothing in the system that indicates dealers do anything in any relation to replace or correct the fuel pump. I expressed, I'm sure ram doesn't want to spend $17,000 no more than I want to if it blows up and that I'm just trying to prevent a high cost bill for either party and to replace the pump now, as I'm highly concerned about it letting go when were hauling our fiver and losing all power and having no brakes. She acknowledged my concerns, but I'm also realistic, my notes probably got deleated :mad:

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Nice post, thanks for that, we need more insider info like that, maybe if ram cares is on this forum, they can communicate with us to keep us updated, it would be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
leeroy300

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
sounds promising lets hope it comes soon

JFV1134

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
I can tell you all for sure that the 2021 high pressure fuel pumps are SIGNIFICANTLY different than the CP4 or CP4.2. I believe Ram went back to using the CP3. I have attached two photos, one is a 2020 in a 2500, the other is a 2021 in a 3500. Both are standard output Cummins. I found an article a while back that had Ram confirming a HPFP switch, but no official word that it is the CP3. Personally, I believe it is the CP3, and they found their mistake within the two year window.

2020 Ram 2500 with Standard Output Cummins
2020 2500 - CP4.2.jpg

2021 Ram 3500 with Standard Output Cummins
2021 3500 - CP3.jpg

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know people have said that cp3 on the new 2021 will not retro fit on the 2020amd 2019 but it looks like it will... Hopefully they are wrong

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Ram has gone back to the CP3 as the factory install.
So when we were talking about this the other day and some were saying that it looked similar to the old cp3s. Are you saying that you have insider factual information that the upgraded 21s pump is the tried and true cp3. Not trying to be argumentative, just want to know if someone has new facts to prove it, and can you please post the link to the story. Ty

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So when we were talking about this the other day and some were saying that it looked similar to the old cp3s. Are you saying that you have insider factual information that the upgraded 21s pump is the tried and true cp3. Not trying to be argumentative, just want to know if someone has new facts to prove it, and can you please post the link to the story. Ty

It's right there in color (pictures). Have seen dozens of pictures and videos from new 2021 trucks, they have CP3's.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
It's right there in color (pictures). Have seen dozens of pictures and videos from new 2021 trucks, they have CP3's.

I've seen the posted pictuers on this forum but know nothing of the innards workings and was just wondering if you had any official insider info that this was the old cp3. I know this was asked the other day and everybody said the same thing, that it looked and resembled the old cp3 but could not be certain. Again not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to determine if your speaking from an educated opinion or fr om fact based info that wasnt out the other day.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've seen the posted pictuers on this forum but know nothing of the innards workings and was just wondering if you had any official insider info that this was the old cp3. I know this was asked the other day and everybody said the same thing, that it looked and resembled the old cp3 but could not be certain. Again not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to determine if your speaking from an educated opinion or fr om fact based info that wasnt out the other day.

It's a cp3. I know what I am looking at.

Now if you want to be a conspiracy theorist I suppose some one could have spent a ton of money to disguise a cp4 to look exactly like a cp3 lol.

Seriously they are very distinct designs, there is no mistaking what it is. It's been around for years.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
It's a cp3. I know what I am looking at.

Now if you want to be a conspiracy theorist I suppose some one could have spent a ton of money to disguise a cp4 to look exactly like a cp3 lol.

Seriously they are very distinct designs, there is no mistaking what it is. It's been around for years.
I'm aware how long they have been around for, thats what sucked when they went away from it, they had a rock solid piece. I am not a conspiracy theorist, i know who is leading our great land, hahaha. Your just the first person who has spoken with certainty that it is the cp3, nobody else has been able to say based on facts that is for sure the cp3. A housing is only skin deep, it's what's inside that counts. Again, if you can post some of your facts besides looks that would be a great help.

Tim J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have a 2020 Ram 3500 with 20000 miles that left me stranded on the interstate a week ago and was just told its the high pressure fuel pump.....I was just wondering what to expect.....Hoping to see some customer satisfaction and soon!!

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I hope all that lx4 I'm dumping in the tank actually makes a difference. That dam fuel pump makes us a nervous wreck. Definitly our current weakest link. I'm reluctant to hope that ram will acutely do something besides, " well just replace them as they go out"

OP
OP
leeroy300

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
It will cost Ram a lot of money to replace all the CP-4's in the 2019/2020 but boy would that be a great play for FCA against the other 2 and their class action lawsuits. Not to mention how good it would be as a marketing pitch towards Customer Care.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
It will cost Ram a lot of money to replace all the CP-4's in the 2019/2020 but boy would that be a great play for FCA against the other 2 and their class action lawsuits. Not to mention how good it would be as a marketing pitch towards Customer Care.
just imagine how far they could push customer service and safety if they did the responsible thing. They definitly wouldn't lose any buyers because of it. It would be nice to know that who I buy my vehicle from and haul a $$$,$$$ rv around, that they would back there product.

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
I just saw another failure posted on one of the FB groups yesterday. According to the dealer the parts to repair all the damage are so back ordered they are 6+ months out. They apparently are buying his truck back (had pretty low miles). Now it's on social media so take that with a grain of salt.....

Recall Cp4, Cummins is going to eat this loss!