CP4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
Anyone have any issues or concerns with thier CP4 yet? Also why would FCA go to an inferior system should have stayed with the CP3

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anyone have any issues or concerns with thier CP4 yet? Also why would FCA go to an inferior system should have stayed with the CP3

I don't have a 2020 but have seen a few failures reported on other forums (not a lot of diesels here). Is it a "big" problem? Not really sure at this point but it's something to be aware of. I surely would not be doing anything (like deleting and tuning) that would void my warranty that's for sure.

As far as inferior, Don't know about that. Less reliable? Maybe. It allows for higher pressures then the CP3 did if I remember correctly so technically it's a better performance unit just may not be as reliable. Time will tell.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There has been millions of miles logged on the CP4 HPFP in Powerstroke and EcoDiesel engines. There have been very few failures reported on the EcoD forums, quite a few topping the 200K and some 300K mile mark.
As with any diesel don't run it out of fuel and make sure the system is well primed if you change filters

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Couple folks on the cummins forum having their fuel system rebuilt on the newer cp-4 because of problems already, but how widespread it becomes or is, Im not sure. After the class action lawsuit over the CP4, I'm glad I have the CP3!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just saw another failure posted on one of the FB groups yesterday. According to the dealer the parts to repair all the damage are so back ordered they are 6+ months out. They apparently are buying his truck back (had pretty low miles). Now it's on social media so take that with a grain of salt.....

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Anecdotally they seem to be happening more often than with the CP3 and a number of the failures are in low mileage vehicles. Saw one the other day with 7000 miles on it. The design of the CP4 seems to make the failure worse by allowing the fine metal fragments to contaminate the entire system. Pretty much the whole fuel system needs to be replaced. I have seen the cost upwards of $12K.

If I had a truck with the CP4, I would probably change it to a CP3 right after the warranty expired.

OP
OP
leeroy300

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
wonder if there is a kit to swap them yet for Cummins

Kbustaar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
My new 2019 classic ecodiesel with 6500 miles cp4 failed while accelerating on highway. Blew metal into everything. Dealer did some type of test on the fuel and claimed the diesel was "contaminated" gave very vague information. Gave me $6500 estimate. Decided that putting insurance claim would be better than arguing about the lack of warranty because of the "contamination" loophole..after I informed the SA that I was putting in insurance claim, he blew a gasket and started yelling at me on the phone because of the insurance claim i assume because now they would have to prove everything..One hour later, he calls me back and tells me that there is more damage and the price for repairs is now $10,500. I feel like I am being puinshed for using insurance. I got my new truck back. Running good. I can't trust my new truck. I can't trust Ram dealer service. I can't trust FCA. This was my new retirement truck. I cant drive it to the places i wanted to go. So I go to Car max and by a stroke of luck they offer me 500 more than I paid for the truck 5 months earlier. I don't think they realized how many rebates were on the truck when i bought it. Took the money and bought a new f150. My last f150 i bought new and drove it for 18 years. Only thing ever failed on it was the spark plug coils went out at 100k. Click on link and read it all to learn about why they fail..
https://www.forthepeople.com/class-action-lawyers/cp4-pump-failure-lawsuit/73bb2a893af030a0aeee794b1098cd51.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bigcitymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a TSB (Ram-TSB#18-060-20/ NHTSA_TSB#_10180256) that you need to read if you have to flash the ECM on the HD trucks because there's two types of pumps now. The TSB help you identify the CP4 pump used on the truck.

That would indicate there's a new revised CP4. The "older" RAM CP4's (Asymmetrical) are changing the lobes back to the style that the CP3 used (Symmetrical) with the new CP4 having Symmetrical lobes. Linked is the TSB, also attached.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180256-9999.pdf

Attachments

• Ram-TSB#18-060-20_NHTSA_TSB#_10180256_FuelInjectionPumpIdentificationDifferences.pdf
    144.2 KB · Views: 15

KansasBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a TSB (Ram-TSB#18-060-20/ NHTSA_TSB#_10180256) that you need to read if you have to flash the ECM on the HD trucks because there's two types of pumps now. The TSB help you identify the CP4 pump used on the truck.

That would indicate there's a new revised CP4. The "older" RAM CP4's (Asymmetrical) are changing the lobes back to the style that the CP3 used (Symmetrical) with the new CP4 having Symmetrical lobes. Linked is the TSB, also attached.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180256-9999.pdf

Questions that come to my mind? .......... Part of the issue with the old design was fuel from the Crank Case of the pump (for lack of a better name to call it) was pumped to the rail, so after a failure all the Flack is pumped to the rail. I believe the CP3 did it a different way? Try as I might I couldn't find a photo of the new CP4 cam? Sure would like to see what it looks like.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Questions that come to my mind? .......... Part of the issue with the old design was fuel from the Crank Case of the pump (for lack of a better name to call it) was pumped to the rail, so after a failure all the Flack is pumped to the rail. I believe the CP3 did it a different way? Try as I might I couldn't find a photo of the new CP4 cam? Sure would like to see what it looks like.
It is a less aggressive profile. It would appear that all of the flaws of the CP4 design remain, including becoming a glitter gun when it fails.

KansasBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is a less aggressive profile. It would appear that all of the flaws of the CP4 design remain, including becoming a glitter gun when it fails.

The CP3 has a puck system under the pistons (3). The CP4 has a single roller under the pistons (2), that rides on the cam. The original poster mentioned the new CP4 is more like the CP3, I wonder is it just the cam that's changed, and the "roller" remains, or did the roller go away in favor of the puck? The whole way the pistons are actuated in a CP3 is different than the CP4........

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The CP3 has a puck system under the pistons (3). The CP4 has a single roller under the pistons (2), that rides on the cam. The original poster mentioned the new CP4 is more like the CP3, I wonder is it just the cam that's changed, and the "roller" remains, or did the roller go away in favor of the puck? The whole way the pistons are actuated in a CP3 is different than the CP4........
Yes, well aware of the CP3design. I have read/seen nothing that leads me to believe they have gone away from the inferior roller setup. Everything points to just a less aggressive cam with a symmetrical design.

Greyhound240

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
Just checked my 2020 Ram 3500 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins HO Diesel to see what pump I had. There is no mark at all on the upper part of the pump? My truck was built on 7/20/2020. Did they make changes again?

OP
OP
leeroy300

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
Just checked my 2020 Ram 3500 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins HO Diesel to see what pump I had. There is no mark at all on the upper part of the pump? My truck was built on 7/20/2020. Did they make changes again?
same here no mark my truck was built 06/20

DamonDeng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
U know what .. i just got CP4 issues last month ..

My truck is 2020 Ram 3500 HO dually , and only 5K miles on it .. just bought it 3 month ago .

The dealer told me they will replace the whole fuel system . But it will take about 4 month . Even longer.

So i tow my truck away , and right now changing it to CP3 ...

It will fix the problem ...

Also , i really recommend everyone here, just add a lift pump before break ..

I also highly recommend everyone change the injection pump to CP3 before break down .

U will find the the pump is not too expensive. The injectors, the fuel rail are really expensive!!!

If u can wait longer that 4 month . U can left it to the dealer , but i can’t .

Because the dealer can not give u a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pick up for rental .

Robert Young

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
New to the forum. Hello.
I recently sold my 1996 2500 12 valve, that I bought new, way back when. 26 years of bullet proof reliability.
The wife and I are retired now and we decided to upgrade from the Lance slide in camper, while towing a utility trailer with our motorcycles, to a toy hauler. Now that we are free to wander further out, we upgraded the tow vehicle as well.
After a little research, I went with a new 2500 Big Horn with a 6.7 TD.
While doing the research I missed the part about the problems with the CP4. I've been gathering as much info as I can about this, after the fact, and found that in the US, there are 7-10 failures per 100 units. In Europe, these pumps fare much better with 1 failure per 100 units. The reason given for the difference is, European Diesel has a much greater lubricity rate than Stateside fuel. A possible solution to extend the longevity of the pump is with proper additives. With just 1500 miles on the new truck I've started an additive regimen using Hot Shot products. Time will tell. If it works...it was cheap insurance.
I'm not associated with Hot Shot in any way. I post this as possible useful information. There are a number of youtube videos concerning the use of this stuff, more than a few from people that use their trucks commercially, and rack up some heavy mileage. Here's one video. A podcast actually. It's a half hour long but...be patient, it's packed with valuable info. Granted, it's from the manufacturer and is self serving. If accurate, it could save someone a boat load of money.

Here ya' go...
(339) CP4 Failures & Lack of Lubricity - YouTube

upload_2020-12-10_7-17-59.png

Last edited:

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
New to the forum. Hello.
I recently sold my 1996 2500 12 valve, that I bought new, way back when. 26 years of bullet proof reliability.
The wife and I are retired now and we decided to upgrade from the Lance slide in camper, while towing a utility trailer with our motorcycles, to a toy hauler. Now that we are free to wander further out, we upgraded the tow vehicle as well.
After a little research, I went with a new 2500 Big Horn with a 6.7 TD.
While doing the research I missed the part about the problems with the CP4. I've been gathering as much info as I can about this, after the fact, and found that in the US, there are 7-10 failures per 100 units. In Europe, these pumps fare much better with 1 failure per 100 units. The reason given for the difference is, European Diesel has a much greater lubricity rate than Stateside fuel. A possible solution to extend the longevity of the pump is with proper additives. With just 1500 miles on the new truck I've started an additive regimen using Hot Shot products. Time will tell. If it works...it was cheap insurance.
I'm not associated with Hot Shot in any way. I post this as possible useful information. There are a number of youtube videos concerning the use of this stuff, more than a few from people that use their trucks commercially, and rack up some heavy mileage. Here's one video. A podcast actually. It's a half hour long but...be patient, it's packed with valuable info. Granted, it's from the manufacturer and is self serving. If accurate, it could save someone a boat load of money.

Here ya' go...
(339) CP4 Failures & Lack of Lubricity - YouTube

View attachment 230086
I used cheapo howes for the first 5000 miles because i didn't know about the cp4, but the current 5000-10000 mark I've been on a hot shot regimend. Edt w/lx4 and also stand alone lx4, that stuff is awesome and very lubey. I just hope that in my first 5000 miles that the cheapo howes I used kept it from scratching up in there.