Crazy Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NWLakes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2008 Big Horn has been gradually adding weird and crazy electrical oddities for the past year or so.
I'll try to explain as best i can.
First thing that happened was i noticed my dome light would come on then off when i turned the radio off.
Only when turned off , not on.
Then after a bit of time went by the chime would sound as well as the dome lt.
Then and not always the door locks activate.
This all happens only when my radio is turned off.
The newest oddity doesn't involve the radio.
My left turn indicator switches to the right side and back intermittently.
I have a thought that its probably a ground issue but where do i start?
Any info would be appreciated.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off, let me say that I hate electrical gremlin issues... They are probably the hardest to track down.

I know that the radio is an integral part of the electrical system in the newer Gen 3 Rams (and possibly the older Gen 3's too). First thing I would do is remove the radio and check the wiring to make sure you don't have any bare wires anywhere.

The turn indicator issue may be the result of a bad clockspring and/or turn signal switch. Like I said, the radio is very important to the electrical, so start there.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have your alternator load tested. A faulty regulator can cause some really weird electrical issues. Any Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc... offers the testing service for free

OP
OP
N

NWLakes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off, let me say that I hate electrical gremlin issues... They are probably the hardest to track down.

I know that the radio is an integral part of the electrical system in the newer Gen 3 Rams (and possibly the older Gen 3's too). First thing I would do is remove the radio and check the wiring to make sure you don't have any bare wires anywhere.

The turn indicator issue may be the result of a bad clockspring and/or turn signal switch. Like I said, the radio is very important to the electrical, so start there.
Thanks for replying.
Ya i have removed the radio and looked around for bad wires but probably not enough so will do that again.
When radio is disconnected or fuse removed issue disappears unfortunately so does my power door lock system.
At least that narrows it down.
As for the turn signal i think it is what you referred to cuz i can sometimes recreate the problem by wiggling the lever as lights are flashing.
Thanks again.
Will post later if and when i solve this.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have your battery load tested.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
your signal lights, windshield wipers, & one or two other things are controlled by the MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH

Mysfyt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sure sounds like a ground issue. I would obtain a wiring diagram with the ground locations and clean every one.