Cummins $1.6 billion dollar fine!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Ontario Canada had mandatory emissions testing every 2 years and then turfed the entire program at the start of 2023, IIRC.

No more stupid license sticker every year either.

That was so much fun when I lived up in Chicago many years back getting emissions tested every year with inspection sticker. :rolleyes:

Down here in MS they didn't start the emission testing in area I live in but did general inspection for sticker yearly. Stopped that too several years back. Was really a joke when you saw some old beat-up piece of junk driving around with in date plates knowing there was no way it passed a general inspection......

I get being safe and all - and affecting others if your ride is in dire need of repair to get it to being safe again to a degree it might be a risk to everyone. But not up for over-reach certainly.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Checked my truck this morning on Mopar site- Yep! 67A is listed under both Emissions Recalls, and Customer Satisfaction Notices tab for my 2500. So now customers are 'wanting' to have their engines messed with this update to be satisfied? Just love the twist on words some try out. :rolleyes:

And Nope! Not gonna do it. Truck runs great, getting good for me mpg (comparing to my previous F250), and it's not "rolling coal". All safety related recalls all done, so no need to throw a wrench into the works.

HDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got mine in the mail yesterday. I'm not getting it done either.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Down here in MS they didn't start the emission testing in area I live in but did general inspection for sticker yearly. Stopped that too several years back. Was really a joke when you saw some old beat-up piece of junk driving around with in date plates knowing there was no way it passed a general inspection......
Yeah that was definitely just a way for the state to get more money from your pocket. You could go to a lot of small service stations who did state inspections and hand the guy $10 and and drive away with a sticker without your truck ever being looked at.
Checked my truck this morning on Mopar site- Yep! 67A is listed under both Emissions Recalls, and Customer Satisfaction Notices tab for my 2500.
Is the MOPAR site the only one that shows that? I have the RAM app and it says there are currently no recalls on my truck. My truck is a ‘23, maybe they just haven’t made it there yet? Curious.

Edit: Even if the recall shows up, my truck runs fine and it will not be participating.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Checked my truck this morning on Mopar site- Yep! 67A is listed under both Emissions Recalls, and Customer Satisfaction Notices tab for my 2500. So now customers are 'wanting' to have their engines messed with this update to be satisfied? Just love the twist on words some try out. :rolleyes:

And Nope! Not gonna do it. Truck runs great, getting good for me mpg (comparing to my previous F250), and it's not "rolling coal". All safety related recalls all done, so no need to throw a wrench into the works.
A big part of the problems is the state of CA is involved and they hate any type of ICE, they noticed that a diesel engine ( not just Cummins but also Ford & GMC) when cold will put out a bit more Nox then when compared to a hot engine and from what I have gathered this has been on going for about 4 years now an Cummins still stands by they did nothing wrong. I also wonder if the state of CA when doing there test used there reformulated diesel or what ever it is they sell down there or good old standard #2 diesel fuel that all trucks outside of that ****** state use.... I would like to believe they used #2 diesel when certified for emissions not that ****** CA stuff...

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Yeah that was definitely just a way for the state to get more money from your pocket. You could go to a lot of small service stations who did state inspections and hand the guy $10 and and drive away with a sticker without your truck ever being looked at.

Is the MOPAR site the only one that shows that? I have the RAM app and it says there are currently no recalls on my truck. My truck is a ‘23, maybe they just haven’t made it there yet? Curious.

Edit: Even if the recall shows up, my truck runs fine and it will not be participating.

On the RAM App tap the following below. If it shows, you should be able to download the .pdf

Screenshot_20231227_213737_Ram.jpg

Screenshot_20231227_213831_Ram.jpg

Screenshot_20231227_213922_Ram.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
A big part of the problems is the state of CA is involved and they hate any type of ICE, they noticed that a diesel engine ( not just Cummins but also Ford & GMC) when cold will put out a bit more Nox then when compared to a hot engine and from what I have gathered this has been on going for about 4 years now an Cummins still stands by they did nothing wrong. I also wonder if the state of CA when doing there test used there reformulated diesel or what ever it is they sell down there or good old standard #2 diesel fuel that all trucks outside of that ****** state use.... I would like to believe they used #2 diesel when certified for emissions not that ****** CA stuff...

Back in my day, there was a big stink over cetane rating also - since it's supposed to be 40 min. for D2 in US, but enforcement is lacking and it's all over the map here. Then you got mandated bio, or not, and it's just ugly.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Back in my day, there was a big stink over cetane rating also - since it's supposed to be 40 min. for D2 in US, but enforcement is lacking and it's all over the map here. Then you got mandated bio, or not, and it's just ugly.
Yes we have it mandated 5% Bio ( I hate it) and I still think Cetane here is cr@p, a few weeks back due to many colder night temps put a 12oz shot of Power Service anti gel in before a 170 trip, I was very surprised how well engine responded with the treated fuel, so will start adding a small amount of Opti Lube Cetane boost to every tank...

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The manufacturers simply can't meet these absurd CAFE standards anymore. It is intentional. The climate cultists are by force taking away our ICEs.
Well obviously they can.
This recall is only up to 2018. This is 2024(almost), 6 years later. No recalls for emissions on newer engines, so they do meet the standards.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well obviously they can.
This recall is only up to 2018. This is 2024(almost), 6 years later. No recalls for emissions on newer engines, so they do meet the standards.
No, they don't. That's why they are forced to pay $billions in carbon credits to satisfy their shortcomings.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Maybe no ones mentioned it because they’re unaware or unwilling to …
but I’m kind of jealous of the diesel rigs because it’s a regular corporate strategy to convert fleets into LPG / CNG

If someone sold a DIY kit and I was getting closer to greener future avenue.. it’s nearly the same MPG and performance.

You could always buy an LPG injection kit in the meantime.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a little talk about it. No way I'd volunteer for this recall. Hope it doesn't have any negative affects for you, OP.

If you're set in that statement, you might get a tuner of your own which allows you to download your current software onto a file, keep it on a thumb drive, and have it in the event anything ever happens to your ECM. This is because all future programming will likely include this change!

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wonder what they'd do if a truck comes in for this "recall" fully deleted? If/when my emissions equipment goes that's the route I'll take. The dealer has never cared in the past since my trucks have all been out of warranty and we don't have emissions testing in Alabama. As an aside, I won't be getting this recall done anyhow.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I wonder what they'd do if a truck comes in for this "recall" fully deleted? If/when my emissions equipment goes that's the route I'll take. The dealer has never cared in the past since my trucks have all been out of warranty and we don't have emissions testing in Alabama. As an aside, I won't be getting this recall done anyhow.
On top of this below, I'd express it in writing to not flash the pcm. Even then they can refuse to work on it, and definitely will if it is there for a drive ability concern. It would be a case by case scenario and depending on the tech.

Screenshot_20231228_083902_Chrome.jpg

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On top of this below, I'd express it in writing to not flash the pcm. Even then they can refuse to work on it, and definitely will if it is there for a drive ability concern. It would be a case by case scenario and depending on the tech.

View attachment 534240
This was kind of my thinking as well. Thanks for the link on the OBDII port lock. If/when the time comes for me to go this route I'll add this to the purchase.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I dont see the 67A on the recall list for my '22 6.7 but the Y43 is still there to be done but my dealer says still no parts and my truck seems to run fine without it.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No, they don't. That's why they are forced to pay $billions in carbon credits to satisfy their shortcomings.
Then why aren't the 2019-2024's recalled for emissions.
They obviously meet the standard. My '20 HO has no problem.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Then why aren't the 2019-2024's recalled for emissions.
They obviously meet the standard. My '20 HO has no problem.
They will be eventually.
2019 already had it taken care of a couple years ago with the VB6 recall (that model year is what triggered the whole investigation).
They don’t have a solution yet for 2020-2023.
2024’s are not mentioned at all in the violations.