Custom rotary shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me, I just want the silver knob for my Big Horn :)
DO IT!!! I installed one in mine and I LOVE it!!!
15495726274672867013179033026808-jpg.154679

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I see a bunch of the oem brushed knobs on ebay... but the lower section with the buttons - it doesn't match up to mine - ie I have 4x auto button and most I see listed do not. Can you just swap the top section (or the bottom section) vs swapping the whole unit? Or do you just pull the knobs and swap them?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I see a bunch of the oem brushed knobs on ebay... but the lower section with the buttons - it doesn't match up to mine - ie I have 4x auto button and most I see listed do not. Can you just swap the top section (or the bottom section) vs swapping the whole unit? Or do you just pull the knobs and swap them?

You just swap the knob. You have to pry off the cover, then there's a screw underneath iirc.

-K

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh that's quick and easy them... having hard time deciding - $75 essentially for the oem brushed or $50 for the B&M. B&M would be nicer without the text imo.

Is the OEM Brushed version aluminum or plastic?

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Answering my on question, appears the brushed is plastic outer knob, with aluminum center cap.

Just can't make up my mind. Seems like a lot of money just to get a plastic knob. Might swing by the dealer and take a look in person at one.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Answering my on question, appears the brushed is plastic outer knob, with aluminum center cap.

Just can't make up my mind. Seems like a lot of money just to get a plastic knob. Might swing by the dealer and take a look in person at one.

I’ve got they knob on mine, I just can’t tell if the whole thing is aluminum, or if it’s just the center cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wvmountaineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 hemi
So the center section just pops out? I tried on my sport knob, and it seemed like it was glued or something. Didn't wanna break it, so just purchased a graphic for it. That said, I do have access to a laser, and have bounced the thought of making my own custom center cap out of 2 ply acrylic. My truck is a white night edition, so maybe a base white with matte black topcoat, that will let me laser just the black away, exposing the white for my emblem.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I stopped by the local dealer, they didn't have one truck with the updated knob easily accessible :(. I'm sure they had one in the back lot somewhere but I didn't feel like getting all involved with sales staff n stuff. I did see a 19 with one, but it was all locked up.

I'm kinda loosing interest in this mod tbh - Just hard to rationalize spending $75 for a plastic knob, since you have to buy the whole assembly typically ie ebay. If I happen to run across a good deal on one... maybe. Or maybe just buy the dam sticker!

I'll just concentrate on updating my headlights instead lol ;)

james.price.58

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the center section just pops out? I tried on my sport knob, and it seemed like it was glued or something. Didn't wanna break it, so just purchased a graphic for it. That said, I do have access to a laser, and have bounced the thought of making my own custom center cap out of 2 ply acrylic. My truck is a white night edition, so maybe a base white with matte black topcoat, that will let me laser just the black away, exposing the white for my emblem.
The factory centerpiece is glued. If you gently pry, it will come out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well I caved and ordered one off ebay... $75 sheesh. Maybe I can resell the black one to recoup some of the cost. :confused:

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well I caved and ordered one off ebay... $75 sheesh. Maybe I can resell the black one to recoup some of the cost. :confused:

Installed today... the whole time I thinking I spend $75 for this lol... It does look nicer though. I'm going to put the black knob on the assembly and stick it back on ebay maybe recoup some of the cost.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed today... the whole time I thinking I spend $75 for this lol... It does look nicer though. I'm going to put the black knob on the assembly and stick it back on ebay maybe recoup some of the cost.
Which one did you go with? The b&m?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I changed mine out. The factory plastic RC car wheel that the RAM interior designer came up with should be ...................... Select your own personnel finish that makes it clear to the factory idiots they are becoming disgusting FIAT Renault designers. Make crap out of crap.
Replaced mine with the B&M shifter shown on this thread page 1.
This is a man's shifter. Very well made out of solid aluminum block. Machining is proud and fits perfect. Finish is satisfying and what you would expect for price. I can see why it cost $50. However there is no option on the center cap lettering. I ordered the RAM and MOPAR stainless steal medallion's from Amazon. $15 each. Size is perfect and they come with the 3M red adhesive trim tape installed. Peel and center. Will post when they come in next week and I get them installed. Fitz

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what I did. I got the B&M, and had one of those guys on eBay who does the custom decals for the stock knob, make me a custom 3D decal just large enough to where it covers all the B&M **** on the new knob. And after a few times of somehow accidentally turning the truck off before I’ve shifted it into park, when the auto shift to park takes place, I’ve now by happenstance, gotten my knob set up to where the center leg of the “M” in Mopar points at the PNRD above the knob for what gear I’m in......

6971036327100172780f291dfeb694ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
This is what I did. I got the B&M, and had one of those guys on eBay who does the custom decals for the stock knob, make me a custom 3D decal just large enough to where it covers all the B&M **** on the new knob. And after a few times of somehow accidentally turning the truck off before I’ve shifted it into park, when the auto shift to park takes place, I’ve now by happenstance, gotten my knob set up to where the center leg of the “M” in Mopar points at the PNRD above the knob for what gear I’m in......

6971036327100172780f291dfeb694ce.jpg

That is stunning.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is stunning.

Thank you. Although the brightness of the photo does show that the blue Mopar M isn’t perfectly centered on the knob, it really isn’t that noticeable. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.