cutting out on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebearded1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic
Engine
I have a 2022 1500 classic 5.7 no etorque tradesman with 3400 miles and it starting to have issues when doing a cold start after sitting overnight. At first the truck would almost stall and go from 1500rpms to 500rpms a few times before going to the usual 1500-2000 then slowly coming back down to 1000rpms. This morning the truck cut completely off. Anyone else ever have this issue?

I'm really worried because the 2022 Warlock I bought in Sept 2022 had the same problem start at 200 miles and it kept getting worse with the truck backfiring through the throttle body while the idle was bouncing around during a cold start. I ended up having to go through the nightmare process of lemon buyback with FCA and finally got all my money back in January.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Off the top of my head sounds like a fuel pump issue odd for a brand new truck but the way things are being made lately wouldnt suprisde me.

OP
OP
T

thebearded1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic
Engine
Off the top of my head sounds like a fuel pump issue odd for a brand new truck but the way things are being made lately wouldnt suprisde me.
Yea that was one of my guesses. I even tried cycling the key on and off 3 times this morning to essentially prime the fuel pump and the truck idled to 1500 and then just cut out. Turned the key again and it fired up normally. Fingers crossed the dealer can figure it out. If they can't I may take it to another dealer.

OP
OP
T

thebearded1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic
Engine
The dealer has made no progress with diagnosis but it sounds like they were able to replicate the problem. The service writer is not very clear

OP
OP
T

thebearded1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic
Engine
The dealer said FCA told them I have to run 3 full tanks of 93 octane from a top tier station before the dealer can try replacing parts. The dealer agreed with me that it is not going to solve anything but they have to follow FCAs recommendations. Been through a whole tank and the problem is still happening every day

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
3 tanks wth? Get ramcares involved. Poor form fca asking for 93 octane to fix an issue, and 3 tank fulls how random.

Maybe guys should buy fords in maryland instead of ram.

OP
OP
T

thebearded1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic
Engine
Ramcares is a joke. I tried to deal.with them with the last truck and I kept getting the same general responses... " We are sorry to hear about your issues... We will let people know..."

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer said FCA told them I have to run 3 full tanks of 93 octane from a top tier station before the dealer can try replacing parts. The dealer agreed with me that it is not going to solve anything but they have to follow FCAs recommendations. Been through a whole tank and the problem is still happening every day
It sounds like you need to try another dealer unfortunately its not just newer 2020+ rams or dealers with issues and mechanics that have no idea what they are doing its all of them.