Dash Cam Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheese-whiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took my dash cam camera out of my Tundra last night, and want to install it in my new to me 2020 1500 Laramie. Wondering if anyone has a thought regarding the location I’m considering. I’m thinking of mounting it on the driver’s side, way down low - sort of in that bottom left corner area. I’d like to keep things cleaner looking now that my truck is so nice. It has a rear camera too but I’m not sure I have enough cable because I’d have to get to the other side of the rear slider. I’ll measure later.

Full disclosure: I’m hesitant to install any of it though because seem buttoned up pretty tight. On the Toyota, running the cable was easy because it all just sort of “mashed” into the pillers and under floor trim pieces. I think all those areas seem much tighter and would require removal.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your dash camera have a app so you can place it somewhere then look at it real time? Im sure it will work just will not get the full picture of other cars. Its not hard to remove the pillars just use plastic tools once the bolt is removed.granted I have a warlock so maybe a bit different. Mine is behind the rear view mirror. I have the battery packs that power it under the drivers seat. Goodluck

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i placed mine just below the rear view mirror on the windshield. however, i had to run the cable for the rear facing camera behind all the trim along the head liner (very easy..the trim can be opened just enough to hide the wire all the way to the back)

but, the power cable i just let it drop down to the 12v cigarette lighter on the top of the dash. I'm using a Redtiger dash cam. They do have a separate harness to run into the fuse box but i never bought that.

i've noticed that some mount their cameras on the passenger side windshield at the very top.

OP
OP
C

Cheese-whiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a vantrue n4. I bought the hardwire kit and tapped into the fuse block. It has a safety built-in, where if the camera is draining the battery too low,it shuts off. I did that so it had motion and collision detection when the truck was off. Honestly, it worked perfectly for a few months.

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Took my dash cam camera out of my Tundra last night, and want to install it in my new to me 2020 1500 Laramie. Wondering if anyone has a thought regarding the location I’m considering. I’m thinking of mounting it on the driver’s side, way down low - sort of in that bottom left corner area. I’d like to keep things cleaner looking now that my truck is so nice. It has a rear camera too but I’m not sure I have enough cable because I’d have to get to the other side of the rear slider. I’ll measure later.

Full disclosure: I’m hesitant to install any of it though because seem buttoned up pretty tight. On the Toyota, running the cable was easy because it all just sort of “mashed” into the pillers and under floor trim pieces. I think all those areas seem much tighter and would require removal.
I'm not sure I'd want the camera that low. Mine is center of the windshield up against the rearview mirror and it still picks up a lot of the hood. Ran the rear camera wiring along upper windshield (in the headliner) to center of the back slider (mounted to the frame in the center of the sliding window). It takes time and patience, but all the wire is hidden either in the headliner or whatever may be up against the headliner (like the rear window frame).

OP
OP
C

Cheese-whiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate the responses! I mounted the camera low just to see if u could, and I agree, it just doesn’t seem right. I’ll put it up by the mirror if I install it at all. Thx again