Dashcam and Radar Detector - hardwire to fuse box or aux switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
Hey all. I picked up my 2020 Ram 3500 this past Wed. In my past vehicles, I have hardwired my dashcam and radar detector to the fuse box using fuse taps. However, I have the aux switches now, but not sure how they work or if it would be better to wire into the aux switches or to do the fuse taps again.

For reference:
- Radar detector - ignition only
- Dashcam - ignition and battery (for incident recording while the car is off)

I also didn't get the wiring pack as the vehicle was used so would need to order that...

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A couple of the aux switches can be set to turn on/off with the ignition along with the switch turning them on/off. If I'm not mistaken all that wiring comes out under the hood.

You can use a wiring harness like this to tap the 12V power outlets for switched power: RED WOLF 12 Volt Power Adapter Wiring Harness Switch Connector Plug w/Fuse for Chrysler Dodge Ram 2001-2021 Cigarette Lighter Power Outlet https://a.co/d/htATNan
For constant +12V the power that feeds the USB hubs are constant, those can be found in the center console or in the dash.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I removed the bezel that surrounds the radio
I don't know anything about electricity, but i found a source of power for my GPS/dashcam combo

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have auxbeam switch panel. I used fuse taps just find anything that is on which the ignition. I have my dash cam hard wired also with battery backup.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
With switched accessories isn’t there a degree of safety with adding a relay ?

I’ve seen pigtails for cameras and even radar detectors wired directly into over head consoles in the absence of OE accessories using the missing accessory connectors.

I found a key word in the forums search engine that addresses this type if accessory installation blendmount

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For my MaxCam360c I just used a mirror tap and moved over the blendmount from my 4th gen. No issues in my '22, even with the digital mirror. For a full time dash cam I would run a fused wire from the battery directly so you know you'll have power so long as the battery isn't dead and rely on your dash cam's low voltage detection to prevent it from draining your battery down all the way.