DEAD truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Creeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Hey everyone! My truck broke down yesterday...I wanted to try to get a few opinions.
I have a 93 D-350 with the Magnum 360...yesterday, I was driving along and twice I noticed my speedo start going nuts...a few minutes after that, she backfired and everything completely shut down. The flashers work, as well as the horn and the buzzer when I put the key in the ignition...when I turn the key, I get no lights, no gauges, no stereo...nothing at all. And when I turn it to start it, nothing at all. Everything is completely dead except for the few things I said above that run direct off of the battery. ALL fuses are good.
ANY advice is appreciated!!!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check positive cable going from battery down to the solenoid/starter...

Trace it all the way down. If that good, then trace negative, insure grounds...

After that, hmmmmmmmmm. Not messed around a lot with that engine/year, had GM's..

OP
OP
Johnny Creeps

Johnny Creeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Check positive cable going from battery down to the solenoid/starter...

Trace it all the way down. If that good, then trace negative, insure grounds...

After that, hmmmmmmmmm. Not messed around a lot with that engine/year, had GM's..

Thank you! PS: Thank you for your service Sir!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a thinking out loud, skerry, U know all electrical power for starter and all things runs through Starter/solenoid relay on those years. Possible something burned out and the circuit not being completed also. Maybe solenoid went bad/short in starter. Possible suggestion: Turn on key, take insulated screwdriver, try to jump the poles on starter/solenoid. See if turns over. But do not ground yerself to vehicle, LOL . Just an old Chevy trick, on Fords the solenoids used to be on firewall. Whatever U do, do not close circuit on yerself, U WILL not be happy. (All above after you check/confirm all cables good)... (Bad ground kill a truck too, lol)

WHEN tracing those cables, use a 12V tester grounded to a good ground point on frame after U inspect the cables and insure connections..

IF none above helps, then got me. I would have to be there in front of vehicle, BUT ALAS, I am not a mechanic, just turned a few wrenches, LOL. SO take nothing I say as pure science, but with a grain of SALT..

MAYBE U could reach out and see if one of the mechanically great guys on forum lives near U, just another skerry thought. I's a Boird. LOL

OP
OP
Johnny Creeps

Johnny Creeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Just a thinking out loud, skerry, U know all electrical power for starter and all things runs through Starter/solenoid relay on those years. Possible something burned out and the circuit not being completed also. Maybe solenoid went bad/short in starter. Possible suggestion: Turn on key, take insulated screwdriver, try to jump the poles on starter/solenoid. See if turns over. But do not ground yerself to vehicle, LOL . Just an old Chevy trick, on Fords the solenoids used to be on firewall. Whatever U do, do not close circuit on yerself, U WILL not be happy. (All above after you check/confirm all cables good)... (Bad ground kill a truck too, lol)

WHEN tracing those cables, use a 12V tester grounded to a good ground point on frame after U inspect the cables and insure connections..

IF none above helps, then got me. I would have to be there in front of vehicle, BUT ALAS, I am not a mechanic, just turned a few wrenches, LOL. SO take nothing I say as pure science, but with a grain of SALT..

MAYBE U could reach out and see if one of the mechanically great guys on forum lives near U, just another skerry thought. I's a Boird. LOL

Oh yeah, I know how to jump the solenoid! Only did it wrong one time haha!
I live right beside and excellent mechanic and am getting close to having him figure it out. Once it comes to electrical things, you might as well be speaking Swahili because I just never learned the electrical part of back yard mechanic work! I hate to take her to a mechanic, but it may come down to that. I won't have the satisfaction of fixing it myself haha! Thanks friend!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best I can do Sir.,. From yer description, definitely electrical, block or short or cable issue like what I stated, but all IMHO............

I did make the mistake of jumping a Ford Solenoid on a like 78 Country Squire woody SW in the snow in NY. I will not do dat again, LMAO.....

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh yeah, I know how to jump the solenoid! Only did it wrong one time haha!
I live right beside and excellent mechanic and am getting close to having him figure it out. Once it comes to electrical things, you might as well be speaking Swahili because I just never learned the electrical part of back yard mechanic work! I hate to take her to a mechanic, but it may come down to that. I won't have the satisfaction of fixing it myself haha! Thanks friend!

Buy him a 12 pack. If he gets it repaired, invite for steaks, LOL................

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you checked fusible links under the hood? sounds like the orange one attached the the red wire may have popped. does the heater fan still work with the key in the run position?

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you load test the battery? Not just a voltage check, an actual load test? That's the first thing I'd rule out.

OP
OP
Johnny Creeps

Johnny Creeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Best I can do Sir.,. From yer description, definitely electrical, block or short or cable issue like what I stated, but all IMHO............

I did make the mistake of jumping a Ford Solenoid on a like 78 Country Squire woody SW in the snow in NY. I will not do dat again, LMAO.....

I definitely appreciate the help! Luckily, I live right beside a very good mechanic. When it comes to electrical, I'm out haha! Take care bud!

OP
OP
Johnny Creeps

Johnny Creeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
FYI for y'all who may wanna know what the problem ended up being... the seal inside the speed sensor busted, thus coating the plug with tranny fluid...which will definitely cause things to short out! Problem solved! Thanks for all the input y'all! :flamingdevil: