Dealer damaged my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Paint fade will be different on a partially painted vehicle. If an entire side, tailgate, hood or roof is painted, you can get by with it. If a door or fender is painted, it might look great for a while but it will look night and day different in a year or so compared to factory paint. Red and Silver are the two worst at paint fade differences.

Last edited:

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
People don’t typically start yelling and accusing at calm and rational people. I’m just saying, there are two sides to every story. And you don’t get to just come in here and decide what will and won’t be discussed because the thread isn’t going your way lmao

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

1000% agree with you!

The dealership owner made his wife cry? LOL

dc73pdsgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L e-torque
Get a loss of value appraisal by an independent appraiser that you hire. You’ll shell out the cost of the appraiser but will get that back in the end after the settlement. Like some on here I don’t agree that getting a new truck is a viable option as I don’t think any dealership would just opt this as an option. Get it fixed to your satisfaction then get your loss of value and be happy with that. Situation sucks but it is what it is...

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Back 4 years ago we acquired our first real RV, a 5th wheel camper. Coming out of private property, I ran out of clearance (learning experience), and put the first ding in my truck and the camper. I felt sick then as the camper was part of my wife's inheritance.

Should any place damage my truck, and requires a documented repair that devalues the truck, I would seek compensation for the loss of value in addition for the excellent repair. There is a lot a dealer can offer me in lieu of cash. But it would be in writing.

PGTB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My son in law bought a new 2500 a couple of years ago with the 6.4. He got a knock in the engine and the dealer replaced the engine twice. After the second engine, he still had issues. They swapped the truck for a new one with a Diesel engine.

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I agree with the others who say a new truck is an unreasonable demand. OP says the dealer is never gonna find him an '18 configured like his damaged truck was. I guess we'll see. If the dealer finds one, that should be an acceptable recompense and disagreement over. If the dealer can't find an acceptable '18, configured the same way, THEN the next discussion begins about a '19 or '20.

And, why would a '19 or '20 configured the way of the OP's '18 be any easier to find?

Good luck with your truck. I hope it all works out for you.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My son in law bought a new 2500 a couple of years ago with the 6.4. He got a knock in the engine and the dealer replaced the engine twice. After the second engine, he still had issues. They swapped the truck for a new one with a Diesel engine.
That’s different, that’s a warranty issue and the manufacturer stands behind that. I sincerely doubt that it was the same truck but with a Diesel engine. That’s an $11,000 upgrade...

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I hope the op started recording that call with the dealer!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It would have been nice to see photos of the damage where the hinges are mounted. I would stake money on it that in a years time OP is going to have wind whistle coming in through that door.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope the op started recording that call with the dealer!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Yeah, depending on what state he is in. It could be a big no no - like jail time. Many states recording in secret - Esp. voice - is illegal as can be.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It would have been nice to see photos of the damage where the hinges are mounted. I would stake money on it that in a years time OP is going to have wind whistle coming in through that door.
It doesn’t appear he’s complaining about a misalignment. He’s complaining that the metallic flake doesn’t line up (which it NEVER will to an unapologetic eye, it’s impossible), and wrench marks on the bolts behind the fender, again, which are the result of body panels being painted off the car, then reinstalled after the paint is dry. My bet is that the truck was repaired within industry standards, OP went to the service manager and/or owner saying he wanted it back perfect, and made his list of unreasonable demands he mentioned in post 1, dealership tried professionally telling him that what he wanted was not within their scope of power but that they would be happy to redo the body work, he said that’s not good enough and pressed the issue, they told him to get bent, now he’s on the Internet complaining about it and the thread is not going his way lol a very abridged version of my guess on how it went down. Dealerships don’t stay in business by being overtly rude to people. TYPICALLY (albeit not always), people who are being treated rudely are giving it back in kind.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dealership IS (in most states) responsible for making customer “whole”. A body shop repair that doesn’t match, plus the ding on car fax diminishes the value. The truck has 12k miles, so functionally is a year old 3500. What’s the value of a 2018 3500 Laramie, megacab Dually ?

I believe the customer could justify either a complete respect of the truck, or an “equivalent” truck to replace it. That’s going to be a serious challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This guy doesn’t even know what will come in the next year or two. Wind noise will very likely be a result. But yes, the customer is currently looking at a metallic paint mismatch—- and silver metallic is one of the hardest to match. But dealership did the damage- they need to figure out how to make the customer happy. A 2020 likely isn’t in the realm of reasonable, though.

It doesn’t appear he’s complaining about a misalignment. He’s complaining that the metallic flake doesn’t line up (which it NEVER will to an unapologetic eye, it’s impossible), and wrench marks on the bolts behind the fender, again, which are the result of body panels being painted off the car, then reinstalled after the paint is dry. My bet is that the truck was repaired within industry standards, OP went to the service manager and/or owner saying he wanted it back perfect, and made his list of unreasonable demands he mentioned in post 1, dealership tried professionally telling him that what he wanted was not within their scope of power but that they would be happy to redo the body work, he said that’s not good enough and pressed the issue, they told him to get bent, now he’s on the Internet complaining about it and the thread is not going his way lol a very abridged version of my guess on how it went down. Dealerships don’t stay in business by being overtly rude to people. TYPICALLY (albeit not always), people who are being treated rudely are giving it back in kind.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Dealership IS (in most states) responsible for making customer “whole”. A body shop repair that doesn’t match, plus the ding on car fax diminishes the value. The truck has 12k miles, so functionally is a year old 3500. What’s the value of a 2018 3500 Laramie, megacab Dually ?

I believe the customer could justify either a complete respect of the truck, or an “equivalent” truck to replace it. That’s going to be a serious challenge.

It sounds like the truck was repaired to industry standard, just not to the customers satisfaction level. That’s two different standards. And diminished value is different state to state. I personally am a dealership sales manager, have been for years. I got hit by someone and took them to court, knowing I had an uphill battle. I took every piece of paper possible to show to the dollar how much the accident impacted my car’s value. I lost. It happens. Giving the customer a new or “equivalent” truck over some paint flakes that don’t bend the same direction is ludicrous and beyond the scope of what this dealer should do to make the customer whole again. I’ll say it again, what this guy wants is unreasonable.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It sounds like the truck was repaired to industry standard, just not to the customers satisfaction level. That’s two different standards. And diminished value is different state to state. I personally am a dealership sales manager, have been for years. I got hit by someone and took them to court, knowing I had an uphill battle. I took every piece of paper possible to show to the dollar how much the accident impacted my car’s value. I lost. It happens. Giving the customer a new or “equivalent” truck over some paint flakes that don’t bend the same direction is ludicrous and beyond the scope of what this dealer should do to make the customer whole again. I’ll say it again, what this guy wants is unreasonable.

********, dealer did the damage. Repaint the entire truck, guarantee the repair for as long he owns the truck and write a check for the value lost on on a car fax with an accident. Or replace the truck with a new equivalent truck. Not likely the dealer will take a hit in either scenario, but if he does, that is a cost of doing buisiness.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Diminished value is a funny thing.

My truck got rear ended, $3k worth of damage. Clearly the other guys fault.

"Diminished value" would be 15% of the damage, so $450. Not really worth the fight.

I'm guessing dealer damage to vehicles happens a lot more than we think. If they fix it to customer satisfaction I don't see a problem with it. But customers need to have some understanding too.

I didn't get a new truck out of someone rear ending me......I got my truck fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man, this thread is still going ? Balls I say, listen the end result of any attempt to first appease the OP isn’t dependent upon the repair, it’s relative His perception that he’s been treated fairly and has been made whole. I think a full repaint, a new truck or even free lifetime service and guarantee of whatever......yada, yada, yada, would satisfy OP due to the fact that he’s closed himself off to any agreeable options.
For everyone else it’s almost Father’s Day so tighten up the shot group and carry on.

OP
OP
master logger

master logger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Hinge pillar had some paint cracks but the body guy said it was not bent and
There is a wind whistle

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Diminished value is a funny thing.

My truck got rear ended, $3k worth of damage. Clearly the other guys fault.

"Diminished value" would be 15% of the damage, so $450. Not really worth the fight.

I'm guessing dealer damage to vehicles happens a lot more than we think. If they fix it to customer satisfaction I don't see a problem with it. But customers need to have some understanding too.

I didn't get a new truck out of someone rear ending me......I got my truck fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Your talking about diminished value, I'm talking about the hit he took to resale/trade in value.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your talking about diminished value, I'm talking about the hit he took to resale/trade in value.

Has the OP sold or traded it? I didnt see that.

If he did not, I think he was aiming for a loss because of the fact that its been damaged but fixed, which would be diminished value (I think)

Re-reading the first post, I tend to agree that full replacement is a crazy expectation..."Ill take a 2019 or 2020 because the MSRP is close [to the original 2018" is a bold expectation.....the 2018 is basically 3 model years old now....what the window sticker said on it back then is irrelevant compared to new ones.