Dealer Deception on CPO 2020 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't posted in a while and I'm not sure if this is the right spot or not, but guys, I gotta vent!

I recently decided that it was time to get into something a little newer, so I sold my 2016 Delmonico Red Sport and decided to go after a 2020 or newer Midnight Edition with etorque.. Plus a few other must haves.

Last week I finally found the deal I as after, at a large dealer in Toledo, which is 250 miles away. A ram Certified Pre Owned 2020 RAM with 21k miles with everything that I was after. I noticed on the carfax that it actually received its certification at 20k miles a month ago... Meaning that it received 1000 miles since certified. A sales person was obviously using this truck for that many miles. I specifically asked twice that it was in its original cpo state without scratches or dents etc. Reply was "it's a really nice truck". So I committed to it and wired the funds, in full.

Fast forward to today.. My daughter drove me to Toledo this morning, more than 4 hours one way. When we get there and inspect the truck, we found that it was pretty beat up and filthy. It had a ton of scratches all over. Many would probably buff out but several will not. I could've probably gotten past that but there was also body panel damage. The lower front of the bed had been crumpled, small dent in the cab corner next to it and a good size dent in the back of the cab right above the glass. One bed side had been horribly buffed and would need extensive buffing, possibly wet sanding to correct. It was just rough all over! To add insult, the entire truck was filthy.. Someone used it to haul a load of dirt and it stiil had dirt in the bed, tail gate and rear bumper. The interior floor and mats were full of crumbly dirt and sand plus someone didn't know how to control their car Al macchiato and got sticky goo all over the console and stained the drivers seat. The truck I saw today was not the same condition as pictured. This truck was NOT CPO quality!

Naturally, I was heated.. As was my daughter. Love the way that girl sticks up for Dad. The manager on duty was invoked at this point. So he comes in doing what managers do.. Telling me what a great deal this is and that body dame and scratches are not part of the inspection. I laughed and told him to read the checklist that he just gave me! It's all there in black and white.. Body panels.. Check! Refinish minor scratches.. Check! Clean and waxed.. Check! Interior clean and condo.. Check! A lies. Someone used this hell outta this truck while it was for sale. This truck was garbage. My 2016 with 70k miles stood out like a diamond next to this thing! And then he offers me $300 off. That wouldn't even cover the detail bill!

In the end, I walked out. Now I have to wait for them to send me a frickin check. The manager called me on the way home asking what they could do.. I told them nothing, it's over unless they find one like it in better condition. I let him know that I had 4 hours to write reviews all the way home. He begged that I not do that but it is what it is. I told him "find me what I paid for and I'll take every review down" I picked up the copy of the certificate on the way out.. Which wasn't even completed correctly. Also took lots of pictures and have a copy of the bill of sale. I'm going to try to reach out to chrysler on Monday and see if they have any answers. For now, I'll hold back on the dealers name. Not sure if I can or should file anything with BBB?

Well, if you made it this far.. Thanks for reading lol

BigBlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So sorry this happened to you. I spent years working in dealerships and wish I could say I never saw this happen. In my younger days at Ford as a lot kid, I'd watch the sales people along with the management take people's special order Roush and Saleen's out to beat the hell out of them. Not every where is like that, but I'd never leave more than a deposit for a dealer to hold a vehicle. I'd rather fight to get 1k back vs 50k back. I hope everything works out.

The BBB is more of a moderator and doesn't have any real pull to force a business to do anything. It depends more on the dealer not wanting to be publicly shamed on the BBB site. If you can't get your cash back you may have to get into legal action.

OP
OP
Dantra

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So sorry this happened to you. I spent years working in dealerships and wish I could say I never saw this happen. In my younger days at Ford as a lot kid, I'd watch the sales people along with the management take people's special order Roush and Saleen's out to beat the hell out of them. Not every where is like that, but I'd never leave more than a deposit for a dealer to hold a vehicle. I'd rather fight to get 1k back vs 50k back. I hope everything works out.

The BBB is more of a moderator and doesn't have any real pull to force a business to do anything. It depends more on the dealer not wanting to be publicly shamed on the BBB site. If you can't get your cash back you may have to get into legal action.
I wasn't too worried since it was a CPO..

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I wonder if you were looking at the same truck. That is a pretty bad misrepresentation on the dealers part, IMO

If you wired the funds, they have YOUR money. Should be no problem canceling the sale, and them wiring your funds back. IMMEDIATELY. I wouldn't have left without proof of transfer of funds.

I personally would have no problem leaving negative reviews. They lied. They don't like it out there for the world to see? Sorry, shouldn't have lied. On them 100%. If they take care of it, add that they did to the review.

Wishing you the best outcome.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have witnessed several crooked dealers go under over the years.... One dealer owner actually went to prison back in the 70's. I guess they'll never "get it".

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow, sending a check before even seeing a more then 2 year old vehicle is just asking for trouble . Not even test driven. I might understand brand new , but even that should be taken for a drive .
However it is total B.S. on that dealer ,and even if they hook you up with a ride I would still post all the negative reviews , as turnabout is fair play . They all lie , let the truth be known and shown .

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, just be careful on the reviews and what you write, as all that can be turned around against you in a Civil Court. Hope you get all your $$$ back in a timely manner and find something represented properly that fits your needs. IMHO, buying without being there, seeing, test drive can be a lil risky, but your money, your choice.

ADDED: I was shown a 2021 here. Limited, looked good, till I got in for a test drive. I did not even put it in gear: The truck was filthy, being used as a Dealer Rep, papers all over, food stuff, wrappers, etc etc. So needless to say, I still have MY 19 4 YOA truck, works for me, The limited was nice, but not worth the trade up, and the way it was presented. I had a lil talk with the Sales Manager, he figured it out to not try that BS on dis BOIRD, as I am not known for being nice when someone trying to fleece my tailfeathers. OP, we all live and learn. GL on all your stuff,.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That seems to be one shady dealer. I hope all works out for you. Myself I would hold off on the negative reviews until I got the refund (believe me, I know how hard that would be). As shady as this dealer is they could play games with your refund, and draw the process out for a long time. I'd get my money back, the blast 'em on every review site I could find.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have called dealers, had them walk around a vehicle with phone in hand, look for every blemish, me asking questions, telling them to look for specific things on a particular vehicle that I knew would be places to look out for, to be told everything is great.

Me saying I am traveling over two hours, I know cars well, have been in paint and body, plus have owned two used car dealerships, and if this vehicle is not as described, I won't take it.

Get there, not even close. Why lie after going through all that? Some people are liars, and obviously stupid after being grilled about the condition.

I had that happen many times while trying to replace a car I had that someone knocked a light pole onto.

At my one man band lot, I repaired any problems I found, reconditioned the interior, exterior, changed oil, tune up, checked all components, drove them minimum 40 miles myself.

I made sure the prospective buyer had a private test drive without me, encouraged them to take the vehicle to anyone they wanted for a check over, and if anything was found I missed, let me know, and it would be fixed.

I never had anyone come back or complain. Comments were usually that the vehicle was even better than I said.

That's how I do business, and I expect the same, sadly, many others don't do business that way. I like to sleep well at night.

My car was totaled in January 2019. I just found a replacement, in good enough shape at a reasonable price last month, when I bought the Ram in my picture. Yes, I'm picky, and dealt with a lot of shady dealers and salesmen trying to find a replacement vehicle. Luckily, I had two older pickups to drive while I looked.

I left a lot of salesmen standing, wondering why their BS didn't work.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
MANY years ago, when I was young and didn't know better... I drove to Wolfchase Scion in Memphis, TN. They had 4 Scion xB's, all Certified Pre-Owned. Not only did I trust the "CPO" designation, I also trusted Toyota. Add to that, a dealership that had many brands and I purchased it after the test drive and negotiations.

The 1 hour drive home was interstate. Just about the time I was getting off the main interstate, I would hear a noise randomly. Called the dealer, since it was so late when we finished up, they were closed until Monday. Noise got worse by the time I was home. Crawled under it and all the plastic panels under the front had been zip tied in dozens of black zip ties. I couldn't see them from under the hood and I didn't think it needed to be put on a lift since it was CPO.

That Monday, I took it to my local Toyota Scion dealer. They put it on the rack and it had clearly been off road. It had belly panel scratched, crumpled heat shields and all the chin, fender liners and engine covers made of plastic, were all doctored up. My dealer here, that didn't have any CPO xB's told me, "they just paper, CPO'd you". They said a CPO vehicle is the dealerships doing. Sometimes shady dealers will CPO something they think they can get over on the buyer. In my case "they probably thought those panels zip tied would last long enough, they can come back and say YOU did it. And they're cleared because you can't prove it wasn't". That's exactly what happened. Wolfchase Scion said I must have done it on the way home and to file it on my insurance.

At least you saw the truck up front and all the damages. And now you know a CPO is a CPO because THE DEALER, determined it do be a CPO and not RAM. As long as a vehicle passes all the boxes on the CPO checklist, they can CPO it. Test drive it for 1/2 hour. Let it sit and idle to heat soak. Crawl under it. Have them put it on a rack to look under. AND, Pep Boys can do a Pre Purchase Inspection for $100.

I think the real deception with "Certified Pre-Owned" is that people believe it's done through the manufacturer. IT IS NOT! CPO is through the dealer and only as reputable as the dealership that's checking the boxes.

I no longer hunt specifically for CPO. There's a website www.joinyaa.com. They have a YouTube channel. The dad was a sales manager for decades. Retired F&I people, Black Book values, information, vehicle searches, ALL KINDS of information... it's just a great resource. They also offer FULL BUMPER TO BUMPER extended warranties and they only mark them up $500. 4 year 100,000 bumper to bumper on my truck is $2000.00 with $100 deductible. When I called the FCA RAM company through Mopar, they wanted $6000.00 and it wasn't bumper to bumper.

A dirty industry that's only been made worse because of the shortages.

OP
OP
Dantra

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies everyone. I would've rather put a deposit down but they said that they don't take deposits but agreed to pull the keys until I made a transfer. It was what I had been looking for and was actually the closest good deal. So I went for it.

I'm supposed to receive a call from upper management tomorrow. I have a few options if they're willing to work it out..
1: Recondition this truck
2: an equal truck in year, options and mileage but not thrashed
3: Refund and I continue to leave honest experience review. I'll also be contacting FCA and BBB. The checklist was pencil whipped.. A scam in my opinion.

I'll keep everyone updated.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
OP, just be careful on the reviews and what you write, as all that can be turned around against you in a Civil Court.
Yes, very well commented and I want to highlight this. Don’t end up in court. Stick to the facts and leave the emotion here on this forum. Or, just get your money back and move on. Yes, it sucks…yes we want as good humans to prevent other people to get screwed. I suppose that is what this forum is for ha :)

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Sadly, my brother, who is a 30 year tech, had this pulled on him by a salesman from the same dealer! I guess they didn't think he was smart enough to thoroughly examine the vehicle.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, very well commented and I want to highlight this. Don’t end up in court. Stick to the facts and leave the emotion here on this forum. Or, just get your money back and move on. Yes, it sucks…yes we want as good humans to prevent other people to get screwed. I suppose that is what this forum is for ha :)
I cannot remember the bazillion articles I have read where PPL have, example, left bad reviews on say YELP, and they ended up in court on defamation suits, just a saying. OP, be smart and wiser than other folks.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not worth trying to get in yer licks, only to end up in the middle of Civil Court, having to get a lawyer, and prove yer stuff, especially when FCA and Dealership has monster pockets. U can comment on a FCA opinion poll, like how was their service. That is an internal thing, not put out in public. Dealership here did me wrong and I made some sincere comments on their FCA review. Next day dealership was calling me asking me to reconsider my review etc, uhhhh, no.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I feel for you and I have been through similar CPO nonsense with a Nissan dealer some years back.

Sorry if I missed it, but did they supply you with detailed, hi-res pics of all the body panels ahead of time? I'm assuming if they did, they just conveniently left out the damaged areas?

I think I get why you did what you did. If you want something very specific, the supply is not there today. If you should find exactly what you want, you have to to jump on it or it's gone.

I really dread my next vehicle purchase. Today's prices are way beyond what I'm comfortable with and I may not be able to justify another Ram 1500 or similar.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That is good. Glad they are refunding you.

Even if they had polished up the truck, sounds like they would have been polishing a **** (seriously, the word T U R D is censored?), and you would not have been happy with it, IMHO, because the previous happenings would have been right there at the surface.

I am confident you will find a good one, and you will feel great about it and be happy with it. Hang in there.