Dealership Tech drilled through cylinder head when removing exhaust stud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Ron Hyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can someone explain to me how my cylinder head and service issue became a political post? People keep focused this isn't about politics its about the horrible service or disservice I have received from Turnersville Dodge.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bottom line, I have not given up on millinials, they are good kids facing enormous challenges. Maybe less challenges in Oregon then here, which is actually a family talking point at our family bbq. All of us talk about cashing out and moving to bend as a family, lol. **** happens, everyone makes mistakes, the OP suffered an honest mistake, it was the dealerships fault for not having a better procedure for a common issue.

California is just ****** I dont know why anyone wants to live there. Corporate tax and all the other stupid taxes you got. No one will bring manufacturing to California no basic starter jobs left. Cost of living is well past min wage because you tax everything lol. Once Tesla fully pulls out of California it will take another hit. I gave up on millenials because they want the government to do everything for them which brings taxes up which brings cost of living up. Then want higher minimum wage which brings up the cost of living again. For a bunch of people with college degrees and cant understand basic economics is sad.

No wonder there is very few millennials able to turn wrenches and treat people trucks with disrespect.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can someone explain to me how my cylinder head and service issue became a political post? People keep focused this isn't about politics its about the horrible service or disservice I have received from Turnersville Dodge.

I do apologize didn't mean for it. I think you need to go all ape **** on them for what they are doing to you. Accidents happen but drilling through your cylinder wall and leaving your truck a mess is uncalled for.

Kylehobie16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Enjoy the rental car while the dealer waits for the new head. Don't let them use anything but new parts for warranty work. There are even senior members on this thread who don't have a clue what they're talking about. Your 2014 truck has a 5 year old drive train in it. The head wasn't "plenty old", rather it was just broken in and relatively new depending on the miles you have on the truck. Most heads should last the life of the engine. Heads aren't wear items and warped heads don't fail. Warped heads cause head gaskets to fail. A repair which comes with the same labor hours as replacing the head with a new one. Be patient, let them do it right with a new head. Honestly, most of the time, bolt failure happens when impact wrenches are used in place of patience and PB Blaster or other penetrant. Because of this, if you had work done by this shop on both heads, you might want look into the studs on the side they didn't drill into and make sure they replaced them all with new ones or maybe have them show you that they can all be torqued to spec. Otherwise, you may face the same issues down the road, maybe after your warranty expires.

Grumpy Craig

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Ron Hyatt,

I'm sorry for your issues with the heads. It sounds like the dealership started by taking the high road, they took responsibility for the issue. Unfortunately someone within the service dept did not treat your truck and equipment with the same respect.

Here is what I would do if it was my truck....

1) Forget talking to the service adviser. The service adviser has no power to remedy the situation. I would go directly to the Service Manager and the General Manager of the dealership. Don't go in yelling, screaming or being abusive. Be calm. This is a business issue, a customer service issue, not a personal issue to them. Start by explaining the situation from the beginning. You were happy that the dealership took responsibility for the stud issue that occurred during the repair process and that they were working towards the solution.

What you are upset about is the way your vehicle and equipment are being treated during this process. Not only show them the photos but give them copies of the photos. Ask them to physically walk out to inspect the vehicle. There was absolutely no excuse for the engine parts being placed on the leather seats. Explain that there was no reason for an employee to open and be in the bed of the truck. Show them the tools/equipment that were exposed to the rain. Show them the oil stains on the leather seats.

Ask them how they are going to remedy the situation? Give them the opportunity to take care of the situation. If they don'y give you the response you want, then you tell them what would satisfy you in resolving the issue. (detail the trucks interior, replace the tools, etc)

2) Contact the Ram Cares contributor that made two efforts to contact you within this thread. Have them bring pressure from the corporate side. They can help advocate for you. It's Fiat/Chryslers reputation being put on the line also.

Good luck. Please post how the process goes.

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what happens when kids play video games their whole childhood and don't go out in the garage to help dad wrench on the lawnmower. They go to "tech" school and learn how to plug into the data ports of these vehicles and make changes to firmware, but god forbid you put a power tool in their hands......

Throughout my daughter's growing years, I made her come out and help me any time I worked on her bike, skates and car. She's since been able to change out her own brakes, replace a busted radiator and replace her valve cover gasket by simply youtubing the process and having the experience working with hand/power tools.

Sorry to break off on a tangent there, but I fear things like this will continue until all cars are electric, run off an X-Box CPU and have no moving parts...

As far as the repair, I would ask them to at least provide you with compression test numbers for all the cylinders and demand that whatever parts they use are at a minimum remanufactured (preferably new) and not just some old used part. Also not sure how much more warranty you have, but to make sure you get at least a year out of their work.

Why do you have to cast aspersions on an entire generation? Consider instead simply adding value to the conversation at hand and hold back grossly over-generalized and defaming comments. And yes, I'm a snowflake.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Why do you have to cast aspersions on an entire generation? Consider instead simply adding value to the conversation at hand and hold back grossly over-generalized and defaming comments. And yes, I'm a snowflake.

Get back in your mom's basement and finish your X-Box game.

motmcd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get back in your mom's basement and finish your X-Box game.

And you proved my point. Your bias is based upon age. I'm 57 years old, however, I identified myself with exactly the title you wanted to see - snowflake - so you could perpetuate your position. How you judge a generation by one technician's mistake is a curious thing, but what I find distasteful is your willingness to insult people you don't know based upon a prejudice of age.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Y'all are trying your best to get this thread shut down. If you want to talk trash about or to each other why don't you go to this site--Trash Talk.com. We don't need it here--sorry OP sometimes threads go astray.
Thanks
Jay

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Dropping my 2014 off for the same repair on Wednesday. Hoping it goes a little better, but you have me nervous now. If I were in your position, I would prefer the new parts, but as long as they warranty the used/refurb parts for a long enough period I think I would be ok with that.

And I agree with the above suggestions about how your truck and equipment were treated. Hopefully they will do the right thing and try to compensate you somehow for the problems.

Good luck...

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
South Main Auto Repair on YouTube removed the studs without drilling.
He manged to weld a nut on the broken studs to remove them.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Ill just back away slowly from this trainwreck... Sorry for your troubles OP, hope that dealership goes down in flames!

vzfudju.gif

wfscooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One post said this was an uncommon issue, bs, another post said something about the use of an impact wrench caused it, bs again. There are tons of posts about the bolts snapping of, it happened to my 2013 twice, and no, I didn’t tow anything getting the engine too hot, another bs. Happened around 36000, had 5 snapped bolts, then 3 more snapped around 53000. Traded it in with 62000 on it, since the power train warranty was out, for a 2016 because I didn’t want to pay out of pocket for something that’s obviously a design flaw. Luckily both repairs went smoothly. Knocking on wood my 2016 doesn’t have the same issue, but I’m not holding my breath. It may not sound like I love my Ram, but I do. :) Well, except for the jerk when I stop, that started after the dealer loaded that update that puts the truck in park if your doors open and the seatbelt off. Still trying to get that fixed. :(

Last edited:

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ron Hyatt,

I'm sorry for your issues with the heads. It sounds like the dealership started by taking the high road, they took responsibility for the issue. Unfortunately someone within the service dept did not treat your truck and equipment with the same respect.

Here is what I would do if it was my truck....

1) Forget talking to the service adviser. The service adviser has no power to remedy the situation. I would go directly to the Service Manager and the General Manager of the dealership. Don't go in yelling, screaming or being abusive. Be calm. This is a business issue, a customer service issue, not a personal issue to them. Start by explaining the situation from the beginning. You were happy that the dealership took responsibility for the stud issue that occurred during the repair process and that they were working towards the solution.

What you are upset about is the way your vehicle and equipment are being treated during this process. Not only show them the photos but give them copies of the photos. Ask them to physically walk out to inspect the vehicle. There was absolutely no excuse for the engine parts being placed on the leather seats. Explain that there was no reason for an employee to open and be in the bed of the truck. Show them the tools/equipment that were exposed to the rain. Show them the oil stains on the leather seats.

Ask them how they are going to remedy the situation? Give them the opportunity to take care of the situation. If they don'y give you the response you want, then you tell them what would satisfy you in resolving the issue. (detail the trucks interior, replace the tools, etc)

2) Contact the Ram Cares contributor that made two efforts to contact you within this thread. Have them bring pressure from the corporate side. They can help advocate for you. It's Fiat/Chryslers reputation being put on the line also.

Good luck. Please post how the process goes.
Why would anyone call you grumpy, Craig?

Grumpy Craig

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Used to live close to Disneyland and coached youth baseball. My wife bought me a “Grumpy” baseball jersey. She got the biggest kick out of players and coaches calling me Coach Grumpy until they started calling her Mrs. Grumpy.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
When I worked for a local dealership in parts, we had a seasoned tech drill into the water jacket while doing the stud repair. It happens, I wouldn't let them use used parts though.

I JUST did that with my HMMWV. 1990 6.2L diesel. Threaded the hole, plugged with a 6-32 set screw and high-temp thread lock (it's next to the WATER JACKET for cryin' out loud, that's what, 200F ?), put sealant around the manifold stud and put it back together.

Runs great. Got a spare set of (tested, magnafluxed) heads just in case, but so far so good.

OP
OP
R

Ron Hyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Update So today after almost three weeks of seeing my truck sitting untouched in the service lot, I decided to put an end to the madness, the sales team at Turnersville Dodge really came together and made me a zero down deal I couldn't refuse on a new 2019 Ram Laramie in Granite Chrystal. Question should I try and get then to swap out my BFG KO2 Tires that I just put on the truck or should I let them go and keep the goodyear SRA's that came with the truck?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93