Dear Ram,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mojo76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Cummins
Dear Ram,
Why would you sell a 2500 or 3500 class of truck with factory installed towing package and HO engine and NOT make a large fuel tank part of the standard equipment package? I am not smart enough to understand this, perhaps one of your brilliant marketing geniuses can 'splain this to me in simple enough terms that it makes sense.

I bought the top trim package I could find, then had to spend $$ getting a larger fuel tank installed. Now, when pulling the load the truck was clearly designed to pull, I can pass an occasional fuel pump. Thanks for nothing!

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dear Ram,
Why would you sell a 2500 or 3500 class of truck with factory installed towing package and HO engine and NOT make a large fuel tank part of the standard equipment package? I am not smart enough to understand this, perhaps one of your brilliant marketing geniuses can 'splain this to me in simple enough terms that it makes sense.

I bought the top trim package I could find, then had to spend $$ getting a larger fuel tank installed. Now, when pulling the load the truck was clearly designed to pull, I can pass an occasional fuel pump. Thanks for nothing!
You forgot to mention that they do things like this and also charge you your left nut and your first and second born child in order to afford the truck!! Haha!!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Dear Ram,

How about talk to the dealership that ordered it with a stock fuel tank and not blame RAM who has/had no control over how any dealership orders what accessories are on the trucks they order for there lot...

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same way they are willing to build and sell you an electric vehicle that needs 8 hours to charge enough for a 200 mile range

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
First, if you are towing heavy in anything but a 3500 you do NOT want the 'top trim package' because it will drastically reduce your payload/tow rating. If you're trying to do this with a 2500 I honestly wouldn't go over a Bighorn.

That said, if you aren't ordering the truck, then it's not on Ram, it's on the dealer. That franchise ordered the truck that way, and who knows why they did it. Knocks a few dollars off and that's about it.

Same thing with my wife's 1500. It's a Night edition, it's got power folding mirrors, it's got just about every option you can get on a Bighorn...but they didn't spring for the LED headlight package. No clue why. It is night and day between hers with halogens and mine with factory LEDs.

Place the blame where it belongs, the OEM is only going to build what customers, including dealerships, order from them - they don't just push out trucks with no orders and hope someone orders that combination.

DickLowman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I’ve pondered this question a lot. Yes, you can order specific available options, and avoid fancy trim packages, but the RAM options - like fuel tank - are still lacking. But the problems are not limited to a small fuel tank. What if the following were available?

++ All the great basic design, construction, and functions of the reliable, proven, hemi (or diesel) and 8 speed with a solid body and comfortable cab just as RAM has already refined (really no changes,) EXCEPT:
++ Option for ample fuel tank, 50 gallons minimum.
++ Reasonable headlights. There are many threads in this forum populated by folks who want to safely see the road at night and are willing to spend money for the upgrade. Lights are especially bad on a Tradesman.
++ No fob, just a key. Less expensive, more secure, more convenient, more reliable.
++ No nanny features such as 3-beep when exiting. Most of us are already aware we have left the vehicle when we step out. We don’t need the reminder. And our neighbors aren’t interested.
++ Ability to back up with the door open. It is helpful to observe the ground when we need to move just a half inch to connect to a trailer.
++ A La Carte factory orders. Who would order a $2,000 useless “chrome package” when all they want is a simple functional plain factory running board?

All of the above subjects (and more) are covered extensively throughout this forum with many diverging views, but if a new, practical, no frills, no nannys vehicle were available to order, how many on this forum would opt for that? How many Ford and GM drivers would switch to a RAM if they could buy such a TRUCK (which isn’t offered from their dealers either)?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve pondered this question a lot. Yes, you can order specific available options, and avoid fancy trim packages, but the RAM options - like fuel tank - are still lacking. But the problems are not limited to a small fuel tank. What if the following were available?

++ All the great basic design, construction, and functions of the reliable, proven, hemi (or diesel) and 8 speed with a solid body and comfortable cab just as RAM has already refined (really no changes,) EXCEPT:
++ Reasonable headlights. There are many threads in this forum populated by folks who want to safely see the road at night and are willing to spend money for the upgrade. Lights are especially bad on a Tradesman.
++ No fob, just a key. Less expensive, more secure, more convenient, more reliable.
++ No nanny features such as 3-beep when exiting. Most of us are already aware we have left the vehicle when we step out. We don’t need the reminder. And our neighbors aren’t interested.
++ Ability to back up with the door open. It is helpful to observe the ground when we need to move just a half inch to connect to a trailer.
++ A La Carte factory orders. Who would order a $2,000 useless “chrome package” when all they want is a simple functional plain factory running board?

All of the above subjects (and more) are covered extensively throughout this forum with many diverging views, but if a new, practical, no frills, no nannys vehicle were available to order, how many on this forum would opt for that? How many Ford and GM drivers would switch to a RAM if they could buy such a TRUCK (which isn’t offered from their dealers either)?
I know I did. I walked in, handed the salesman my online build sheet, and told him to sell me this truck. And I can back up with my door open at 50 MPH if I want.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

The last one is because from a manufacturing perspective a la carte means you can't mass produce as easily. Today they run Laramies... tomorrow Tradesman, etc... when you start custom ordering then it destroys process flow and costs them money. Offer specific options and work those into the flow. This is how manufacturing works.

For the rest... market research controls what options they provide. Also, a larger fuel tank means even less payload, etc.. so they're balancing.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The above is pretty correct - they've all but done away with a la carte options unless it's in a package, and it's been headed that way for a couple decades across pretty much all major manufacturers. It's cheaper for their mass production to package them together and allows them to commonize more components, especially wiring harnesses - one harness for few options, another for all options, and MAYBE one other for 'commonly purchased' options.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same way they are willing to build and sell you an electric vehicle that needs 8 hours to charge enough for a 200 mile range
Makes me feel better when the gas pumps are running slow! Now I do not think I'll grouse about a ten minute fill up! ;)

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You could be like us lowly 2018 owners who didn't have the option for a bigger fuel tank at all.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The above is pretty correct - they've all but done away with a la carte options unless it's in a package, and it's been headed that way for a couple decades across pretty much all major manufacturers. It's cheaper for their mass production to package them together and allows them to commonize more components, especially wiring harnesses - one harness for few options, another for all options, and MAYBE one other for 'commonly purchased' options.
Naw! These "packages" were reality back in the late 70's and early 80's. I remember wanting certain options, but was put off by the mandate that a sunroof for instance came with P/S, power brakes, power windows.... when ALL I wanted was a tilt wheel and informed of thousands of dollars in required packages!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Naw! These "packages" were reality back in the late 70's and early 80's. I remember wanting certain options, but was put off by the mandate that a sunroof for instance came with P/S, power brakes, power windows.... when ALL I wanted was a tilt wheel and informed of thousands of dollars in required packages!
This is the reason I opted for vinyl seats and floor. In order to get carpeting and/or cloth seats I had to take a $2200 package with a bunch of crap I had no use for.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the reason I opted for vinyl seats and floor. In order to get carpeting and/or cloth seats I had to take a $2200 package with a bunch of crap I had no use for.
My first ever brand new car came in 1978, 4 years after I graduated high school, was on my own, married, and with a 5 month old daughter.
We looked all over at Fords, Toyotas, Datsuns, and several other brands. Packaging was a thing then, and that's why we didn't buy the new LTD 2.

We wound up with a new Camaro sport coupe with the 305 V-8, 3 speed automatic, Factory A/C, an AM-FM radio, power brakes and steering, manual door locks and windows and seats. No cruise control, I mean just a basic car... but it DID have the Rallye Wheels and raised white letter tires! And cloth seats!

We drove it out for an almost even 6100 dollars and it lasted over 11 years.

The reason we got THAT car was truly the honesty and caring of an older salesman who bent over backwards for us. See, we wanted those Rally Wheels with the lettered tires, but they were only offered in a package on the Type LT Camaros. AND we wanted the small V-8. Base Camaros had a 6 cylinder engine... and they had this particular car, but it had the base steel wheels and black sidewall tires.

That man got those wheels off another car in stock (Type LT) and put them on the car we bought in order to close the deal.... and to top it off, the car I traded in was a 1970 Impala 4-dr hardtop. Rust was beginning to claim that car.

We stated we wanted 600 dollars trade in, but he got us 800 dollars for it.

In 1984, I drove back to that dealer wishing to buy another new car from THAT salesman. Sadly, he had died just months before. They don't make salesmen like that anymore! :)

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How about a 2500 on the lot without towing mirrors? “We can change them to towing mirrors for you for $1,200”.
Or 2500 diesels with less payload than some 1500's :). Then put 18 more gallons of fuel in it with the 50 gal option and you have even less. Also, I'm under the impression 5hat the 50 gal won't fit in a short bed since it's only offered in a long bed.

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Or 2500 diesels with less payload than some 1500's :). Then put 18 more gallons of fuel in it with the 50 gal option and you have even less. Also, I'm under the impression 5hat the 50 gal won't fit in a short bed since it's only offered in a long bed.
Good luck... the payload decrease is due to the heavier engine weight coupled with a coil sprung suspension. I wish Ram still offered a 2500 with leafs. Much higher payload with those. It's not as important on a flatbed trailer where the weight can be shifted back to reduce weight as it is for towing a camper. That's where the payload quickly becomes a problem.

You can get a 52 gal tank for a 2500 short bed. Titan has ready replacements. But... that further reduces payload.
1713718620117.png

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing with my wife's 1500. It's a Night edition, it's got power folding mirrors, it's got just about every option you can get on a Bighorn...but they didn't spring for the LED headlight package. No clue why. It is night and day between hers with halogens and mine with factory LEDs.

This brings up an interesting point, factory LED versus aftermarket LED.

Yes, halogen bulbs are pathetic in comparison to the currently available LED bulbs but, replacement costs of OEM LED light fixtures are completely insane and stupidly expensive.

If there ever comes a day when I could afford to buy a new Ram truck, I would prefer to buy the POS halogen lamps and then just install cheap aftermarket LED bulbs.

I'm in Canada and the cost for a pair of LED headlight bulbs is about $50 Canuckstan $. If I have to replace an OEM LED headlight assembly, AFAIK, my cost up here is about $1200.

And, the OEM LED headlight assembly included both high and low-beam bulbs so, now I have more chance and having to replace the assembly because there are 2 bulbs.

So, if one of the aftermarket LED bulbs fails, I spend $50 and I get a second spare bulb.
If one of two LED bulbs fail in an OEM LED headlight assembly, $1200.

The choice looks pretty simple to me even if I pay someone $150 to change the bulbs. :cool:

YMMV

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This brings up an interesting point, factory LED versus aftermarket LED.

Yes, halogen bulbs are pathetic in comparison to the currently available LED bulbs but, replacement costs of OEM LED light fixtures are completely insane and stupidly expensive.

If there ever comes a day when I could afford to buy a new Ram truck, I would prefer to buy the POS halogen lamps and then just install cheap aftermarket LED bulbs.

I'm in Canada and the cost for a pair of LED headlight bulbs is about $50 Canuckstan $. If I have to replace an OEM LED headlight assembly, AFAIK, my cost up here is about $1200.

And, the OEM LED headlight assembly included both high and low-beam bulbs so, now I have more chance and having to replace the assembly because there are 2 bulbs.

So, if one of the aftermarket LED bulbs fails, I spend $50 and I get a second spare bulb.
If one of two LED bulbs fail in an OEM LED headlight assembly, $1200.

The choice looks pretty simple to me even if I pay someone $150 to change the bulbs. :cool:

YMMV

The flip side of this is that LEDs are supposed to last MUCH longer than pretty much anything else, it's why there is a big push to install them in home lighting (that and the energy savings).

In a vehicle, yes, it's a risk that they'll break from vibrations or whatever (and they're electrical so there's a chance they'll fail prematurely), but they SHOULD last for years, if not the life of the vehicle. So while yes, the headlight assembly is pricey, it SHOULDN'T (and most people likely WON'T) ever need to be replaced.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The flip side of this is that LEDs are supposed to last MUCH longer than pretty much anything else, it's why there is a big push to install them in home lighting (that and the energy savings).

In a vehicle, yes, it's a risk that they'll break from vibrations or whatever (and they're electrical so there's a chance they'll fail prematurely), but they SHOULD last for years, if not the life of the vehicle. So while yes, the headlight assembly is pricey, it SHOULDN'T (and most people likely WON'T) ever need to be replaced.

LOL, that all sounds great but too much like a pipe dream. Unless you have a magic crystal ball, how can you forecast that they should last forever? That sounds like a sales promo where they forecast based on theoretical BS without any stats to back them up. LOL

All electronics are prone to failure and we won't know how long they last for many years. They are still a new application of a recent technology.

I switched every bulb in my house to LED after Canadian Tire ran a promo with cheap bulbs. They were all rated for 10 years and something like 50,000 hours.

Guess what? That's just not true, I've had to change many of them after less than 2 years. I'm one of those crazy people who date the bulbs, so I know what I'm talking about.

On the bright side, :cool: I'm confident that the hydro savings are still worthwhile, even after many failures.

AFAIC, until there are stats from a medium-term of 5 years plus, it's just another unproven piece of cheap electronics from China.

YMMV