Decision Time - 1994 Ram 1500, Original Owner, 60K, Dead Cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes i think somewhat out of the box.

To me your truck is to good to sell.

Would you mind spending the money to buy parts ?

Some High Schools back there, as well as Technical Schools have Auto Shop, they fix up vehicles, sometimes they work on the Students vehicles, but they also work on vehicles from the local area.

In Waterbury, they have Kaynor Tech

https://kaynor.cttech.org/programs/career-technical-education/automotive-technology/

You know, that's a neat idea. My wife is actually a High School teacher. Time to see if they have a Tech Program. Otherwise, I think there is a Tech school in Enfield, which is close to me.

Reactions: Mop

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Out here in the San Diego area, we are lucky enough to have 3 places where students work on vehicles

One is a Agricultural High School
One is a college that has a automotive course during the day & night adult classes going on in the same garage area
The third class is in a High School nearby, they also have an adult night class in automotive tuning & brakes

OP
OP
J

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just figured that I would update everyone on the truck ...

I ended up selling the truck to a very nice family that is fairly local to me. The father is a 'car guy' and their daughter (getting her license soon) absolutely adores the truck. Their son is still several years from driving, but he is taking automotive classes and he will be wrenching on it with his father. I was sad to see the truck go, but I know it will be well cared for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mop

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like it went to a good home! Hopefully they get it running!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
That truck should be worth a good dollar to a young guy looking for a solid work truck.
If you don't want to pull the motor, or head, sell it.
A few more years it will be a collector. A 440 mag should drop in , 340 c.i would be neat, had one running 500hp on the street.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no brainer. Especially as clean as that truck is, and such low miles. FIX THAT TRUCK!!! I actually wish I would have found something like that, when I was truck shopping/ Id have bought that in a second rather than going into "Payment He!!" by buying this 2012. I made payment #1 yesterday/ only 47 of them left to go. I havent had a payment since I paid off my Wrangler in 2005. I'm allergic to them. I have a 96 Dakota 4wd with same engine as yours, and 238K miles. I bought it 5 years ago for $800 with a dead transmission and rebuilt that trans myself, at 170K miles. Driving that truck daily, still. It's been demoted to my winter and "goin mowin' grass" b e a t e r. Only because the body "isnt so nice" any more. Id like to find a better bed for it. that trans rebuild cost me 1/10 of what the PO had been quoted. and that was with a shift kit, a fresh torque converter and even fluid.
the plenum gasket you are needing, will be literally another 15 minutes of work once the intake is off for the head work, "anyway"

I'd be taking those heads that you have, to the machine shop// to see if they can be fixed with a new valve or a few new valves and typical "valve job" would be much much cheaper than new heads, and with that low of miles there is a really good chance of that/ looking at new heads (and especially from someplace like Hughes) is putting the cart before the horse. Id let the machine shop tell you they cant be fixed before I went after new heads. and you can find reman heads cheaper than those new ones taht would be just as good.
Mind you, I know Hughes.... been to his shop, about 100 miles from me/and I have spent some money there over the years. almost anything he has, can be had (Identically) for less elsewhere.
He has a full complete machine shop, and I would seriously even consider having him go thru the current heads, if you're in the area. I've built a few of those engines, with all needed machine work done and no corners cut, for less than $2700. he's just a little far for me to take all my needed machine work to on a regular basis, otherwise I would.
The last one I redid, wound up getting new heads (EQ, same as the heads he would be selling you) on account of cracks and didn't even cost me $2700 for everything! including those heads. gotta be careful these days with those EQ heads //they aint what they used to be when first came out. I had a set that was bad, brand new out of the box. I wont be buying any more since that set without going thru them first// before bolting them on, as a result. I do believe Hughes does just that, with any of the new heads he sells. He calls them "Iron Ram" heads// but they are those same EQ ("Enginequest") heads with his sticker on the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963