Def

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tracerex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anyone else have a DEF gauge that just doesn't move? I had my DEF filled with the first oil change at 5500 miles. I now have 11,000 and change and the needle hasn't budged on the DEF gauge. I took it in and dealer said it had plenty of fluid and that the gauge sensor was sonar and typically doesn't read until under 3/4 tank? Sounded like BS to me.

illyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Have you towed at all in the past 5500 miles? In the first 5500, how much DEF did you use?

From my experience (on my 2013), sometimes my DEF gauge doesn't move for a while if I really fill up the tank. Meaning, if the tank is approximately half full or just a little bit over half full (per the gauge) and I drop in 2.5 gallons of DEF (yes it'll fit no problems), I sometimes can have the gauge not move from full for up to 600 or so miles when I am towing 12k+. But once the gauge starts moving, it moves...

OP
OP
Tracerex

Tracerex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It was full (or at least read full) on delivery. I towed our boat a few times during the first 5500 miles. The gauge read right at about an eighth of a tank when I took it in for an oil change. DEF was filled at that time. I know what you are saying about towing and other than a four hour trip pulling an 8X10 trailer with only coolers, camp gear, and a dirt bike on it, I haven't towed since the fill up. It has 6000 or so miles since filling the DEF. It just seems like towing or not the needle should have moved at least a little?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I don't use DEF in mine but what I have read matches with what illyb was saying.

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had the same concern with the needle not moving and the dealer said nothing's wrong, and I was told based on my driving I dont use much. The needle didn't start moving until 2800 miles, now I have 4000 and the guage reads just over half. I spend alot time on the highway at 65 so no need for the use. After more research your driving conditions effect it differently- towing, city, hills. From my experience I say enjoy driving it and glad your driving habits are beneficial in cost savings. :Rock on:

illyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It has 6000 or so miles since filling the DEF. It just seems like towing or not the needle should have moved at least a little?

I dunno. Due to the way the DEF system is wired up, I bet you'd know if your system wasn't working correctly. If you don't have any idiot lights on, I say don't worry about it for now.

OP
OP
Tracerex

Tracerex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for your responses. Yeah I guess since it's under warranty, no warning lights, and dealer checked it out... I'll just roll with it and be thankful that I don't have to buy it that often! We'll see...

bmxnick7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 13 and I feel like my problem is the opposite. It has just under 600 miles and my def gauge was full when I got it at 10 miles. Now its a hair under 3/4.

jaredb909

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine was only filled 1/2 on my brand bew truck...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My first tank full to empty 2800 miles, half towing. My second tank has 1200 miles so far, no towing, gauge hasn't moved, makes me want to do the old thump on the gauge routine to get it unstuck.

ceide4489

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mine did not move for long time but at 5000 miles and half a tank now